Patrick smith- 'Arrogant Power worthy of boos'

Remove this Banner Ad

Not worried about my team not getting to the GF.Theyve had their fair share of success fairly recently.
I dont get upset by stupid things players do.so your wrong there as well I was merely commenting how stupid Tredreas actions were and most Port supporters wouldnt agree because theyve got their Port goggles on just like you

walk away now - you look like a fool.

"Best of luck Port. Geelong doesn't need luck - it will have the crowd, the media, the AFL and the umpires on its side."

Have not had the umps on our side all year really and I can't see that changing for the Final.

Watch the free kicks roll out for the Cats on the weekend. At half time the free kick count will be something like 20- 8 the Cats way, then the umps will have even up with freekicks to Port in the backline.

"Best of luck Port. Geelong doesn't need luck - it will have the crowd, the media, the AFL and the umpires on its side."

Have not had the umps on our side all year really and I can't see that changing for the Final.

You can't possibly be taken seriously on this one.

Ablett, Corey, Selwood, and Bartel all get at least 50% more free kicks that they give away.
Apart from Steven Salopek (who I think has given away about 3 free kicks for the year), all of our on-ball division is about par.
Your ruck division for the GF get more free kicks than they give away, ours (despite being acknowledged as close to, if not the best duo in the comp) are in the minus by about a 2:1 ratio.
Even Harley / Scarlett are in the positive by about 50%.

I'd consider ourselves fortunate if we got an even deal on the weekend to half-time.

You can't possibly be taken seriously on this one.

Ablett, Corey, Selwood, and Bartel all get at least 50% more free kicks that they give away.
Apart from Steven Salopek (who I think has given away about 3 free kicks for the year), all of our on-ball division is about par.
Your ruck division for the GF get more free kicks than they give away, ours (despite being acknowledged as close to, if not the best duo in the comp) are in the minus by about a 2:1 ratio.
Even Harley / Scarlett are in the positive by about 50%.

I'd consider ourselves fortunate if we got an even deal on the weekend to half-time.

Salopek does well from the umpires because he is a nice victorian boy. When we play interstate we normally have to beat the umps as well, so I expect nothing to change.

Brownlow votes are often an indicator of how many frees you'll get, so geelong look pretty well placed.

"There are things we know, and things we don't know. There are known knowns and known unknowns. Then there are unknown unknowns."
US Secretay of State, Alan Rumsfeld

FFS, at the 10 minute mark, we in the crowd were doing the Mexican wave, the Roos never looked like winning or even getting close. The players showed no disrespect to the Roos, just skylarked for the crowd. Their displays were reasonable given the circumstances.

Patrick is a little over the top in his criticisms but surely most Port supporters were cringing when Tredrea and Cornes carried on like they did. It was simply embarrasing.

You know what I was defensive naturally at the beginning but then thought to myself what if it was another player from a team I didn't support bowing to their crowd? For Tredrea you know what...a little embarrassing after I thought about it a little but after the match he advised he regretted it and apologised..he knew he acted like a goose and wasn't proud.

Cornes' leg hopping celebration after he kicked a goal? I can't believe it was even mentioned - seriously pathetic to even bring it up.

But of course the media has cut it, slowed it down to 3 frames per second, pushed rewind and played it over and over and over and over again...making much more out of both incidents then the 5 seconds in actual reality that both moments came and went.

I thought it was a wonderful tribute to Archer, I was at the game and the applause and standing ovation at AAMI was second to none.

Instead of getting directly in the Power team song after the siren sounded it was cut short (which I completely agree with) so that both teams were able to line up in a guard of honour to send him off in fashion. It was only after he had left the ground that our team song was played. Of course that would be too much of a positive angle to write about.

What bollocks.

Nice comeback.Defending your captains stupid antics is making you the fool.Lets just see how Tredrea goes in the GF. I am betting he gets his pants pulled down in a big way

I'm sure you along with 90% of Austrlia all bet on the mighty Brisbane lions to win 4 in a row in 2004 aswell..:rolleyes:

The more of this crap the better, i love it and so do the players i reckon. More motivation doesn't hurt. We'll win. Patrick smith is a fuc*wit.

You obviously don't know much about unknown knowns, like Donald Rumsfeld.

Not to mention he wasn't ever Secretary of State, but was actually Defence Secretary. :rolleyes:

Is it not obvious to most footy supporters that PA are one of the most disrespected GF teams in recent years?

The Victorian media led by Walls and Smith, the AFL and the Victorian fans have taken every opportunity to give it to to Port because not only do they want Geelong to win but they need Geelong to win because the victorian teams had 3 out of 4 prelim teams and only 1 made it through - the first in some years.

Port are a good side and Mark Williams a damn good coach ( his team has been the only team since round 3 to actually beat Geelong but the Victorian media still scream about all the injuries Geelong had that day).

Make no mistake, every Victorian from Demetriou down are praying for a Geelong win otherwise interstate teams would have won the premiership from 2001 onwards and this equalization by the draft crap will be exposed for what it is - crap.

I don't support PA but good luck to Tredrea - he has one -and possibly 2 more premierships than West, Johnson, Buckley, Harvey and half a dozen other players touted as champions.

Best of luck Port. Geelong doesn't need luck - it will have the crowd, the media, the AFL and the umpires on its side.

I'm a Victorian and I couldn't give a stuff whether Geelong wins it or not. I'd rather Hawthorn win the flag and it makes no difference to me whether another Victorian club wins it or not. Many other Victorians that I've spoken to also couldn't care less whether Geelong wins it. The Victorian papers are trying to flog a few extra copies by playing up this interstate rivalry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sometimes this guys loses the plot but i think he's on the money here
I like to do the opposite of what Patrick Smith suggests.
The Victorian papers are trying to flog a few extra copies by playing up this interstate rivalry.
I agree. It is not a state of origin match that's occurring tonight. It's a Grand Final between two clubs, and I don't care which state it is. I only want to see Collingwood win the premiership, but if I have a team that I prefer to see lose, then it has nothing to do with which state it is.

Very few people embraced Collingwood as a Victorian team in 2002-03 because long-term club rivalry means more. Does anybody truly beleieve that Crows supporters want Port to win in the name of South Australia? I would doubt it very much.

nope summed it up nicely i thought. Port power is a team who doesnt lose well and doesnt win well either. No class watsoever.

Er...why would you want your football team to lose well? As a Norwood man I hate Port Adelaide but you've got to respect them. I don't think arrogance is a negative quality with champion sportspeople or teams. My favourite cricketer of all time Viv Richards was the very picture of arrogance as he strutted out to the wicket sans helmet chewing his gum but hey man he was Viv. He walked the walk.

You can say the same thing about the Port Adelaide football club. They won so many flags in the SANFL that the Vics eventually had to take notice. Their audacious VFL bid got Basheer of his ar5e and this eventually led to the foundation of your club...the club for all Glenelg fans..I mean, South Australians. Port got in anyway and in less than ten years landed an AFL premiership which I believe is one of the greatest achievements in football in my lifetime. While all clubs say they exist to win premierships for Port it is a philospohy not just a corporate objective for the suits in the boardroom.

Smith's article is a classic case of diminished output due to an overabundance of media outlets covering the code. Newspaper guys can't just say who got a kick so they have to come up with an angle. At a time when most observers are bemoaning a lack of characters in the game this bloke comes out and bags blokes who actually show some emotion. I'd be pumped too if I was in Cornes' and Tredrea's situation last week. It was party time because the Roos were lamentable and they could have had a round of poker on the ground and still would have won by ten goals. Warwick Armstrong, the Big Ship of Australian Cricket actually read a newspaper in the outfield during his last test....but I'm sure he wouldn't have done that if the only paper on offer was The Australian. Smith's Port arrogance article and his How to beat Geelong plan ripped straight off of Gerald Healy is an example of extremely lazy journalism by Patrick Smith in recent weeks.

Just for the record...I hope we cream the Alberton ferals today and yep, I still hate the bastards...but a bit of 'Port' like arrogance would be most welcome down at Cat land..it would show that we've at last acquired the winning habit!

regards,

REB

Cornes' leg hopping celebration after he kicked a goal? I can't believe it was even mentioned - seriously pathetic to even bring it up.

But of course the media has cut it, slowed it down to 3 frames per second, pushed rewind and played it over and over and over and over again...making much more out of both incidents then the 5 seconds in actual reality that both moments came and went.

What bollocks.

LMAO. This reminds me of the famous Allied propaganda when they looped Hitler's little fall of France victory hop into an absurd little dance.

regards,

REB

to be fair, cats have behaved that way before, I remember josh hunt in a game against sydney, when the cats were up by 23 points and hunt marked in the forward line, he arrogantly strutted as if the game was over in the 2nd quarter, he missed the shot and the swans eventually won the game.

Hear, hear. Mooney's Angrys Scream/Tough Guy Flex after EVERY SINGLE GOAL HE KICKS makes Tredrea and Cornes look like Scot West and James Hird.

Particularly grated on Friday night when he pretty much got a bath for most of the game.

And while we're on the Cats, didn't Gary Jr look overjoyed to see his team mate take home the Brownlow? I hope he can get over it by the weekend, so the cats give Bomber a proper send off.

The bitterness is strong in this one. Don't be seduced by the dark side young Jedi. :rolleyes:

So essentially he crapped on for half an hour about this, that and everything just to finish the article by saying "Just don't barrack for Port". I'm not going to barrack for Port but I don't need this dick to tell me. This isn't even an article it's just blatant biased parochialism pretending to be journalism.

Just watching James Hird on the BG breakfast, wonder how much Tredrea would have been bagged if, instead of bowing to the supporters, he went up and hugged one of them.

You all would still have called him an arrogant pr**k, just as you all call James Hird a legend for the same action.

One thing that they have in common though, genuine stars of the game (Hird moreso than Tredders), and both PREMIERSHIP CAPTAINS!

FFS, at the 10 minute mark, we in the crowd were doing the Mexican wave, the Roos never looked like winning or even getting close. The players showed no disrespect to the Roos, just skylarked for the crowd. Their displays were reasonable given the circumstances.

I'm lost here, are you saying the Port players were being jerks, or the crowd were being jerks, or both? Help me out here.

You know what I was defensive naturally at the beginning but then thought to myself what if it was another player from a team I didn't support bowing to their crowd? For Tredrea you know what...a little embarrassing after I thought about it a little but after the match he advised he regretted it and apologised..he knew he acted like a goose and wasn't proud.

I tend to agree, Tredrea was a goose for that bow, it was really uncalled for. But he has form. Cornes on the other hand - big deal, he danced a jig. I can't believe it was described as a Nazi goosestep in some articles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick smith- 'Arrogant Power worthy of boos'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back