Patrick smith- 'Arrogant Power worthy of boos'

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Daniel Chick once 'sonducting' the hawks song and the mexican waves in the 4th quarter at TD once - its just entertainment - celebrating with their fans. many of which cannot goi to the grand final for various reasons. No doubt FP will be there and never too far from some food and grod I'll bet.

Hand over your ticket to a real fan if you care patrick !

what next - clubs being castised for not forming a gaurd of honour for retiring players ?

Which port did - and hawthorn didnt - for ricciuto

needs HRT does PS - and I dont mean a souped up car !

Patrick is a little over the top in his criticisms but surely most Port supporters were cringing when Tredrea and Cornes carried on like they did. It was simply embarrasing.

It was a little over the top - BUT in no way was it disrespectful of our opponent, it was more excitement at our situation. Funny how this gets more attention than some other shows of excitement over the course of this year and earlier.

Ie - Lance Franklins signalling the crowd as he kicked most of his goals agaisnt the Crows in the final.
Kane Pettifer running into an open goal agains Port in 2005 also was a case.

I certainly dont think it shows disrespect to the opposition, and the only real concern is whether the side gets 'ahead' of itself.... I'm sure this was Chocos concern - NOT whether respect was paid to the Kangas. .... whom I know our club respects.

As for Patrick Smith - am I right in hearing he had a less than glorious reputation as a sportsman himself - particularly in amatuer cricket ?

PS - the mexican waves had started well before Tredders bow on the weekend - Patrick shouldn't lie to make a point.

What an absolute load of rubbish that article is. Patrick smith is the sort of whiner that would win the lotto , then grizzle about having to spend the money.

PS - the mexican waves had started well before Tredders bow on the weekend - Patrick shouldn't lie to make a point.
He would use journo logic to respond to that.

"Its not a lie if you don't know the truth."

absolute storm in a teacup; ridiculous non-issue in a week where he (Smith) could have been focusing on a dozen more interesting and relevant topics, e.g. the Brownlow/Grand Final.
The bloke is a dinosaur ..

From what I've read, Tredrea has pretty much had no impact all season, so I'm trying to figure out what he had to bow about (unless he was bowing out, that is). I can't see what credit he can take from Port being in the Grand Final.

Gee, Smith should get down and have a look at a few games of round-ball football if he thinks these celebrations were over the top. :rolleyes:
Exactly. Most players these days watch EPL where the celebrations are creative and flamboyant.

Then we expect them to be robots in the staid, serious old world of AFL?

Get over it, Walls, Smith and other similar old farts.

Patrick Smith - is he a ghost-writer for Robert Walls?

This hatred for Port Adelaide could only be explained as such.

Every year, there are so many displays by players similar to Tredrea and Cornes on the weekend that, by Smith's definition, we should boycott the finals series because no club deserves our respect.

NB: Except Collingwood, of course. Their players are above reproach and their fans are saints. :rolleyes:

That you don't know who Patrick Smith is a testamant to your lack of knowledge. Of course you somehow bring Collingwood into an argument that had nothing to do with them.

You hate Collingwood for no reason other than the jumper reason no doubt and the biased stirrings of that wonderful journalist Michelangelo Rucci in the Advertiser, but then question why there is a hatred of Port.

If you don't know why, then I think Patrick Smith IS, for a change, on the money!

Gee, I hope Geelong win!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just another lame excuse by scribes in Victoria to get everyone behind the Victorian team in the Grand Final.

exactly...what about the inherent overwhelming arrogance of all those victorian football fans who believe the premiership, indeed the whole fecking competition, BELONGS to victoria ... i think geelong have been the best side all season and would be deserving of the flag, but...CARN THE POWER

The combination of the two cornes brothers and Tredrea easily equals the worst "winners" in the comp. Not an ounce of humility or sportsmanship between all 3 of em. Bad winners. I hope they get flogged on the weekend.

that article seemed harsh...

i didn't watch the game but i find it difficult to condemn the Power for celebrating goals which will lead them to a GF in a year they were picked to finish bottom four :confused:

good luck to 'em :thumbsu:

Just another lame excuse by scribes in Victoria to get everyone behind the Victorian team in the Grand Final.

ding ding ding, we have a winner. They are trying their hardest!

Funny how Mooney can turn to the crowd after his late third quarter goal, thumps his chest and yells at the crowd...yet thats ok.

Its simple - Port and Collingwood are both very arrogant - Tredrea / Williams - Malthouse / Eddie etc

it is possible to be a good team and celebrate goals etc without being cocky and big headed

The combination of the two cornes brothers and Tredrea easily equals the worst "winners" in the comp. Not an ounce of humility or sportsmanship between all 3 of em. Bad winners. I hope they get flogged on the weekend.
Not an ounce eh? What weight would you give to the fact the whole Port side helped form a guard of honour for Glenn Archer as he walked off into retirement? :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, it ignited the drooling crowd who lurched into a Mexican wave. It is believed coach Mark Williams admonished both players, but it was Williams who grabbed his tie and dragged it up like a noose in a boorish gesture after the 2004 grand final win.

As much as I hate Port this would have to go down as one of the all time great spur of the moment, pure emotion celebrations after a win. I rate it higher than Sheedy's jacket waving celebration.

I am not going to join in the berating of Patrick Smith for this somewhat stupid and poorly written article.

Rather, I think this article is true to form for a significant element of football journalism in 2007. It comes across as desperately seeking to generate controversy, the aspiration of the generation of modern sporting journalists.

Hopefully, somehow in 2008, football journalists will return to writing about football....but I won't hold my breath.

And as for Patrick, well in a weeks time he will return to being an expert on horse racing and his football pieces will be a thing of the past - he is just a drongo (to use a horse racing term).

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick smith- 'Arrogant Power worthy of boos'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back