Patrick smith- 'Arrogant Power worthy of boos'

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny what happens on the spur of the moment isnt it! Sheedy waving his jacket over his head in a minor round game is one of the games most memorable moments. Choco doing the choke sign after winning the clubs first premiership is considered pathetic?

Im still struggling on how Tredrea ackonwledging Port supporters is considered un-sportsmanlike? If he had have run into an open goal, turned around and showed the opposition the ball as many have done previously I would agree. I just cant understand how its considered poor sportsmanship.

With this article, and Robert Walls pathetic commentary (even had a go at a kid in the crowd for **** sake) its blatantly obvious that the Victorian media is pissed off we ruined the feel good story of the year and once again, could keep the premiership cup away from the "homeland" :rolleyes: .

I hope the Vic media continue to write such articles.

From what I've read, Tredrea has pretty much had no impact all season, so I'm trying to figure out what he had to bow about (unless he was bowing out, that is). I can't see what credit he can take from Port being in the Grand Final.

The key part of your statement is in bold.

I suppose it depends on whether you believe it was "entertaining" for Tredrea and Cornes to act like idiots after they'd scored. Some people like the over the top celebrations. I don't mind it a bit of show-boating, but sometimes players do go overboard and rub their opponent's noses in it.

There is no rule that says footballers must be respectful of their opponents, but then they shouldn't be surprised when everyone else thinks they are arrogant knobs for carrying on. That also goes for their fans. Port have long been regarded as an arrogant football club. They are not well-liked around the traps. If they want to be highly regarded by everyone, they should show more grace in victory. Maybe they don't even care what people think about them...

It doesn't bother me, however. I think it is all pretty funny.

I think Robert Walls and Patrick Smith are boring, old farts with zero personality. They'd rather criticise people than praise them. They'd rather dwell on the negatives than focus on the postives.

sanctimonious old fart who needs to get off his moral high horse.

I don't like grand-standing either, but Smith obviously missed Scarlett giving it to the Collingwood cheersquad (after the game was over, mind you), or Medhurst showing the cats fans his guernsey after putting us in front.

I am a fan of grace in victory, but I don't think is deserving of an article encouraging people to boo port when every team has players who do it.
Some Collingwood clown rang SEN this morning to say the same thing, comparing Matty Scarlett to Cornes and Tredrea, calling him a disgrace, etc.

You can't compare these two incidents. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between the two!

Get a grip, mate! You act as though Scarlett owes the Collingwood Cheer Squad respect.

They are a bunch of overgrown kids, who spend their weekends hanging over the fence and hurling mindless abuse at the players and umpires. They deserve whatever they get. Scarlett has probably copped it from these same tossers for years.

I saw them carrying on like twats, reacting to Scarlett. At the time, I wasn't sure why, but I reckon that's great if it was because Scarlett was winding them up. Good on him.

I think all that Joffa gold jacket shit has gone to their silly heads.
They forget that when it all boils down, they are nothing. Just a bunch of nuff-nuffs who each bought a ticket.

I suppose it depends on whether you believe it was "entertaining" for Tredrea and Cornes to act like idiots after they'd scored. Some people like the over the top celebrations. I don't mind it a bit of show-boating, but sometimes players do go overboard and rub their opponent's noses in it.

There is no rule that says footballers must be respectful of their opponents, but then they shouldn't be surprised when everyone else thinks they are arrogant knobs for carrying on. That also goes for their fans. Port have long been regarded as an arrogant football club. They are not well-liked around the traps. If they want to be highly regarded by everyone, they should show more grace in victory. Maybe they don't even care what people think about them...

It doesn't bother me, however. I think it is all pretty funny.

I think Robert Walls and Patrick Smith are boring, old farts with zero personality. They'd rather criticise people than praise them. They'd rather dwell on the negatives than focus on the postives.

Some Collingwood clown rang SEN this morning to say the same thing, comparing Matty Scarlett to Cornes and Tredrea, calling him a disgrace, etc.

You can't compare these two incidents. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between the two!

Get a grip, mate! You act as though Scarlett owes the Collingwood Cheer Squad respect.

They are a bunch of overgrown kids, who spend their weekends hanging over the fence and hurling mindless abuse at the players and umpires. They deserve whatever they get. Scarlett has probably copped it from these same tossers for years.

I saw them carrying on like twats, reacting to Scarlett. At the time, I wasn't sure why, but I reckon that's great if it was because Scarlett was winding them up. Good on him.

I think all that Joffa gold jacket shit has gone to their silly heads.
They forget that when it all boils down, they are nothing. Just a bunch of nuff-nuffs who each bought a ticket.

Another short, to the point post by Chewwy!

That you don't know who Patrick Smith is a testamant to your lack of knowledge. Of course you somehow bring Collingwood into an argument that had nothing to do with them.

You hate Collingwood for no reason other than the jumper reason no doubt and the biased stirrings of that wonderful journalist Michelangelo Rucci in the Advertiser, but then question why there is a hatred of Port.

If you don't know why, then I think Patrick Smith IS, for a change, on the money!

Gee, I hope Geelong win!

Gee, if you think this is the only reason why I (and other Port Adelaide supporters) hate Collingwood, then that is a testament to your lack of knowledge. I've lived a fair part of my life in Melbourne, and believe me there was a dislike long before Port Adelaide entered the AFL.

For your own information, in case you've been so caught up in your own team's publicity that you haven't noticed, the main reason most people hate Collingwood is that Collingwood self-proclaims itself as the "greatest team in the AFL", yet as of the beginning of next year, will have won 1 premiership in the past 50 years! And people have the nerve to call us arrogant!

I bring Collingwood into the discussion (and others) because I like to see how they react to the one-sided c**p that we encounter in the media. And that includes Rucci, you'd be surprised how few Port supporters actually support what he writes. I've given up on the local media because it is so biased, as bad as what R.Walls and P.Smith are at least.

A serious question - your thoughts on Mark Williams (the Hawthorn player that is) firing a shotgun into the crowd after kicking goals?
Or when Dermott Brereton strutted around on the field like the rest of mere mortals should have been thankful to be in his presence?
I'm interested in where it sits with regards to the highlighted section above.
Was that entertainment, or rubbing your opponent's noses in it?
FWIW, I think it's entertainment, when they put themselves out there they have to back it up of course.

au contraire. Things like this don't bother me in the slightest. I was merely pointing out that if, on Smith's view of the world, we should all boo Port based on the celebrations of two of their players, why shouldn't boo Geelong based on what Scarlett did?

You can argue they're different based on the fact that Port was already way in front whereas Geelong fought out a narrow victory, but on the other hand you could argue Scarlett's actions were even worse because they were after the game was done, and directed towards opposition supporters. At least the Port players were winding up their own supporters.

If Collingwood had won, you could point to exuberant celebrations by pies players and make a similar point. As I said, none of this celebration stuff actually bothers me - it adds something to the increasingly robotic nature of professional sport. If it bothers Smith to the point where he singles out a single team for shaming, then he should make sure the team he wants us to support doesn't do the same thing.

I reckon it was a one-sided piece by Smith with a clear bias against Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Melbourne AFL fans need someone to cheer for this weekend. Patrick Smith is just making sure it is Geelong. 4 seasons now without a Melbourne Grand Finalist. :p

The Melbourne AFL fans need someone to cheer for this weekend. Patrick Smith is just making sure it is Geelong. 4 seasons now without a Melbourne Grand Finalist. :p

even though 95 per cent of vic footy fans hate each other for 6 months of the year .... it's one of the bigger hypocrisies in the game.....

A serious question - your thoughts on Mark Williams (the Hawthorn player that is) firing a shotgun into the crowd after kicking goals?
Or when Dermott Brereton strutted around on the field like the rest of mere mortals should have been thankful to be in his presence?
I'm interested in where it sits with regards to the highlighted section above.
Was that entertainment, or rubbing your opponent's noses in it?
FWIW, I think it's entertainment, when they put themselves out there they have to back it up of course.
Are you one of those people who tries to turn everything into a parochial issue?
Are you unable to discuss things without letting your club bias and competitiveness getting in the way?

To answer your question:
It's entertaining. And it's rubbing your opponents' noses in it.
Which bit do you find difficult to understand?

Like I said in my post, I think it's funny, but then I'm also not surprised that people give them shit for showing off.

It's an Australian cultural thing - if you try to show a bit of individualism, stick your head up and be different then people are going to want to knock it off.

I honestly don't believe Dermie was any more big-headed than Plugger, or that Tredrea is any more big-headed than Jonathan Brown. They are just less-inhibited and feel free to carry on like gooses, whereas those other guys are from country towns where you're frowned upon if you act differently.

All these footballers are arrogant - they have to be to survive and flourish.
People just get uptight about the extroverts.

The key part of your statement is in bold.

IMO Franklin had a bad game against the Roos the week before, but still kicked three goals. But I guess Tredrea's standards this year are so low that three goals is actually something to get excited about.

Arrogance: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions (Merriam-Webster)

Tredders does have a habit of carrying on like a pork chop, as evidenced by his ridiculous "phone home" gesture a couple of years ago.

As for the bow,I didn't have a big problem with it.

I'll be barracking for Geelong but not because of Patrick Smith's gross over-reactive column....which really is just a pile of parochial shit in disguise.:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick smith- 'Arrogant Power worthy of boos'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back