PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

On my Surface Pro? No... no...

Yeah but you are saying you would love a gaming PC but won't have time to play it, but have time for an xbox. A gaming PC is just a better version of an Xbox since you can play most of the xbox games on it.

Also cheaper. I know between me spending money on my car and then a PC I'd be single pretty quick :) more time for gaming though!!!!

That's why the Scorpio suits me, it's a bit better than the Xboner and it's quick and easy. Also I have a $300 JBHIFI voucher which makes the jump a little easier.

So will those monitors not having HDMI 2.0 be a problem since the Xbox one X supports it?

Also cheaper. I know between me spending money on my car and then a PC I'd be single pretty quick :) more time for gaming though!!!!

That's why the Scorpio suits me, it's a bit better than the Xboner and it's quick and easy. Also I have a $300 JBHIFI voucher which makes the jump a little easier.

So will those monitors not having HDMI 2.0 be a problem since the Xbox one X supports it?

HDMI 2.0 is necessary for 4k/60 I believe, not enough bandwidth on 1.4 to push more than 24.

If you're just using an Xbone just get a nice big 4K TV.

There are limited monitors with hdmi 2.0 as most have display ports instead to push the higher resolutions and refresh rates. 4K and 60hz over hdmi I think is more a recent console thing that TVs have been supporting and I think monitors are only starting to include.

Here seems like a pretty handy 4k IPS monitor with hdmi 2.0.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35013/lg-27ud68-w-27in-4k-uhd-ips-freesync-gaming-monitor/

Edit: just found this actually. Bit pricey though. 4k, 60hz, HDR and HDCP 2.2 so ticks all the XB1X/PS4 Pro boxes. Will keep it in mind myself in fact
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39755/lg-32ud99-w-4k-uhd-ips-led-monitor-with-hdr10/

Last edited:

As others have posted HDMI 2.0 will support 4k at 60hz as will display port input. The AOC has this listed as a supported resolution.

Double check at point of sale as some screens may have been upgraded to 2.0 after all their marketing collateral has been published...

There are limited monitors with hdmi 2.0 as most have display ports instead to push the higher resolutions and refresh rates. 4K and 60hz over hdmi I think is more a recent console thing that TVs have been supporting and I think monitors are only starting to include.

Here seems like a pretty handy 4k IPS monitor with hdmi 2.0.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35013/lg-27ud68-w-27in-4k-uhd-ips-freesync-gaming-monitor/

Edit: just found this actually. Bit pricey though. 4k, 60hz, HDR and HDCP 2.2 so ticks all the XB1X/PS4 Pro boxes. Will keep it in mind myself in fact
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39755/lg-32ud99-w-4k-uhd-ips-led-monitor-with-hdr10/

That LG is very tempting :)
Edit: It's in my cart... Ohhh no

Last edited:
That LG is very tempting :)
Edit: It's in my cart... Ohhh no

Ok I grabbed it because I'm impulsive. I came to the conclusion that it's TV dollars and got some buyers remorse lol. They shipped it on Friday so I should get it Tuesday or Wednesday.

Pretty pumped for it! Will be a fair upgrade from my 24inch Samsung that's about 4 years old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna buy a PC controller for gaming. Never had one, is there a good one worth recommending?

If you are using windows 10 just buy an xbox controller that has a usb. I use our old xbox 360 controller for games that are better to play with a controller, its just plug and play with win10

Holy shit i just checked out my brothers new PC he built.
Plays all games on ultra and 60fps.
Also has liquid cooling.
He also has a steamlink so he can play them in the loungeroom on the tv.

This thing is brutal. Looks like my poor i5 4690 (locked) is being pushed to its limits now though lol, hitting max CPU usage according to afterburner. I'll just wait a month or two for an unlocked coffee lake.
Try capping the frame rate to match your monitor refresh or upping the graphics settings. The GPU must be rendering waaayyy more frames than necessary due to it being beast, which is putting too many draw commands on the CPU & overloading it.

Last edited:
Try capping the frame rate to match your monitor refresh or upping the graphics settings. The GPU must be rendering waaayyy more frames than necessary due to it being beast, which is putting too many draw commands on the CPU & overloading it.

Monitor refresh rate is 165mhz and it's not even hitting that. That is 'oc mode' though, did try changing that back to 144 and capping it to that in game but it's pointless if the game is only getting half that. GeForce experience set everything to ultra, even res scaling to 175% and I can get a constant 40-60fps depending on the map which is still buttery smooth due to gsync monitor. Lowering res scaling to the more sensible 100% buys me a better fps range of 50-60 with the occasional dip. Going to drop a few of the more useless settings again today and probably still have dumb things on like dvr and game mode in windows settings and shadow play since my recent OS reinstall.

This card is a beast though. For the first time I got Crysis 3 to run full ultra at 60+ @1440p native. Going to give Witcher 3 a try today. MSI fan profiles are worrying out of the box though. Could feel the case fan over the graphics card pumping out stupidly hot air. Checked Afterburner and it was peaking 95-100C :eek::eek:. MSI reckon this is upper limit but **** that, a quick custom fan curve and it hasn't gone past 68C since.

GPU usage hasn't exceeded about 60% and I can't push it harder. It's just my fault a few years ago trying to save a few bucks by getting a locked 4690 because "hurr hurr 3.5ghz is enough for gaming and I'm not going to overclock" when in truth probably any sub 4ghz clock speed is going to bottleneck top shelf GPUs trying to push max settings. Still need to wait for coffee lake before I pull the trigger on my mobo/CPU upgrade. Wouldn't mind going with Ryzen for something different but I want pure clock speed (and overclock potential) and it will probably be a while imo before every new game utilises extra cores.

Monitor refresh rate is 165mhz and it's not even hitting that. That is 'oc mode' though, did try changing that back to 144 and capping it to that in game but it's pointless if the game is only getting half that. GeForce experience set everything to ultra, even res scaling to 175% and I can get a constant 40-60fps depending on the map which is still buttery smooth due to gsync monitor. Lowering res scaling to the more sensible 100% buys me a better fps range of 50-60 with the occasional dip. Going to drop a few of the more useless settings again today and probably still have dumb things on like dvr and game mode in windows settings and shadow play since my recent OS reinstall.

This card is a beast though. For the first time I got Crysis 3 to run full ultra at 60+ @1440p native. Going to give Witcher 3 a try today. MSI fan profiles are worrying out of the box though. Could feel the case fan over the graphics card pumping out stupidly hot air. Checked Afterburner and it was peaking 95-100C :eek::eek:. MSI reckon this is upper limit but **** that, a quick custom fan curve and it hasn't gone past 68C since.

GPU usage hasn't exceeded about 60% and I can't push it harder. It's just my fault a few years ago trying to save a few bucks by getting a locked 4690 because "hurr hurr 3.5ghz is enough for gaming and I'm not going to overclock" when in truth probably any sub 4ghz clock speed is going to bottleneck top shelf GPUs trying to push max settings. Still need to wait for coffee lake before I pull the trigger on my mobo/CPU upgrade. Wouldn't mind going with Ryzen for something different but I want pure clock speed (and overclock potential) and it will probably be a while imo before every new game utilises extra cores.
Fair enough, still sounds odd though that a reasonably new i5 is getting maxxed out like that.
I have a 4670K at stock speeds (3.4ghz) and only a lowly RX480 GPU but I'm still rendering at native 1440 at up to 120 fps and only loading the cpu up to 70%.
Maybe your thermal solution is the issue and the cpu is being throttled???

What settings are you running for 120fps?

Disabling windows game mode and geforce experience returned 20-40 frames in BF1 just then. Every setting at ultra at 1440p native (only wound res scaling down to 100 from 175) was solid 70-90fps. Can't see it on the graph but GPU usage looks like it was generally 50-60% but it does say it peaked at 99%. GPU temp maxed at 58C, CPU temp maxed 41C but all 4 cores did max out at 100% usage still. At least I know there isn't a heating issue. RAM only maxed 9500 of my 16gb so there is no bottlenecking there either. Before I pulled the trigger on the card I saw BF1 1440p benchmarks around 90-115 and they didn't say what settings or if AA was on or off however they were using 7700k so I'm starting to wonder if I'm just about right on the mark now and it's just the CPU holding me back from those numbers with everything maxed out. I know I can easily change some settings to push the frames but you don't buy a 1080TI for ghetto settings. Been doing some forum searching though and am starting to see a pattern in terms of CPU bottlenecking.

I'm a how much candy can I squeeze in but remain above 60fps kind of guy. Probably because I'm more of an RPG and adventure kind of gamer than a competitive FPS sort. Just did some more research and it's definitely the CPU. Used a few recommended tweaks for a user.cfg file for high CPU usage and doesn't matter what I do I can't put any more load on the GPU, the CPU is just maxing out. It's not heating up which is a great sign, it just doesn't have enough juice. Short term pain though. I was reasonably happy with my previous setup, never had any intention of a 1080TI as I was pretty happy with my 980 at 1440p on high settings, but my private health insurer sent me a $200 eftpos gift card and with the prices of cards coming down after the mining stuff I figured it was a great time to get one. I had the gift card for a while and didn't know if would expire by the time Volta comes out. Since I'll only be buying a new mobo, CPU (and RAM dammit. Just bought new RAM) I won't need to spare any expense. Changing socket will be a great excuse for a new CPU cooler though. This big Noctua air cooler was a great idea at the time but it's too damn big. Looks shithouse through the window and have to remove it to access stuff.... and I want RGB stuff :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back