PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure it's overly dangerous, their high-end kit never really made a dent so dropping it isn't a massive deal. Until they can pull ahead of Nvidia it's probably a bit of a waste to keep fighting that losing battle.

Building their brand around the low to mid market where the vast majority of users exist can help them push into the OEM space that's still largely dominated by Nvidia, and lets them put more development into a range chips that will likely also get used in consoles and portable devices. The market is ultimately going to move more towards mobility and streaming, and more of a console-type approach, and they're closer to pulling ahead there than the high-end where Nvidia's dominance is probably only going to expand due to their work in the data-centre space.

An element of danger for AMD if they go down this path is the Intel ARC range and where that heads, because that showed some promise and Intel's links to major OEMs puts them in the box seat to bundle their GPUs with other Intel products.

Dangerous wasn't the right word, more precarious of a business model. I agree with what you said, but I just worry if they've given up innovating and value in the mid range becomes their point of difference then there is nothing stopping their competition from coming with a knockout blow by matching the value with a better product. Zen 2 couldn't compete with high end Intel and it would have been a shame if they conceded then. Instead they kept on innovating. AMD's Ryzen and Radeon divisions seem leagues apart though.

The bit about aiming at OEM is apt because in the same interview with Tom's Hardware they also mentioned Intel which I think is the market they want to muscle in on.

So for the PC savvy types.

I want to move more toward PC gaming and I have an RTX 2080. I have 64 gb of ram so that's golden, how long do people think the 2080 will be able to run modern games at a decent rate?

Hard to say without knowing what type of games you play.

Mentioned here I'll be looking at a new gaming PC next year as we get closer to the end of Windows 10 support. Went a bit proactive with my laptop (6.5 years old, so not as old as my current gaming PC, but still doesn't officially support Windows 11) and put Linux on it (Ubuntu) because I don't want to buy a new laptop (don't use it for gaming). Have never used Linux on a daily basis before so looking forward to exploring. Will probably poke around with Steam too just to experiment a bit.

Mentioned here I'll be looking at a new gaming PC next year as we get closer to the end of Windows 10 support. Went a bit proactive with my laptop (6.5 years old, so not as old as my current gaming PC, but still doesn't officially support Windows 11) and put Linux on it (Ubuntu) because I don't want to buy a new laptop (don't use it for gaming). Have never used Linux on a daily basis before so looking forward to exploring. Will probably poke around with Steam too just to experiment a bit.

Gaming on linux is as good as it's ever been

I recommend EndeavourOS (It's arch btw) and frame.work if you're looking for a laptop

Gaming on linux is as good as it's ever been

I recommend EndeavourOS (It's arch btw) and frame.work if you're looking for a laptop

I was actually shocked at how many games in my collection have native Linux support, and from what I understand (without looking into it much because I don't plan on gaming on it beyond a bit of experimenting), there's just a tick box or two in the Steam settings to open up more to try.

Some oddities like Dawn of War 2 having native support, but not 1 or 3. A few cases like that actually.

I was actually shocked at how many games in my collection have native Linux support, and from what I understand (without looking into it much because I don't plan on gaming on it beyond a bit of experimenting), there's just a tick box or two in the Steam settings to open up more to try.

Some oddities like Dawn of War 2 having native support, but not 1 or 3. A few cases like that actually.

You can thank Valve and Proton for that, basically it converts DirextX calls to Vulkan calls.

(I'm simplifying this a great deal). Plus compiling for linux has never been easier.

Amongst the graphic card price memes and talk motherboard price hikes have been getting a bit of a free pass. In the time from NVIDIA's Pascal to now motherboards have typically doubled in price with the flagships triple or even quadruple. Prices have leaked for x870 and x870e and the MSI Carbon x870e for example (because I'm probably looking at MSI or Gigabyte for my next board) looks like it's going to be around $900AUD. Flagships like the Godlike will likely be $2.5k+. The x870 MSI Tomahawk currently has local placeholder prices of over $600 but the x870 is to replace the position of the b650e but it has less I/O and priced like x670. B850 won't be out until next year but we're looking at $400-500 for what would be considered "mid range" boards.

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back