2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of that entire game, the biggest plus for me was Valente. This is a kid who is still 18, has had an interrupted preseason and only joined in full training what, two weeks ago? He was thrown in to the midfield against mature WAFL / AFL players and ended up with 19 possessions. And unlike some of our ball butchers, I thought e looked very composed with ball in hand.

I'd be very surprised if Valente is not in the firsts at some stage this season.

Carter also played his best game for the year, and has a LOT of upside.

Our development coaches must now get some serious heat.

Meek and Jones have clearly gone backwards. Early signs look like Bewley may have also but it’s too early to say for sure.

Crowden’s disposal has deteriorated.

Banfield is a shadow of the player he was last year and even worse than when at Claremont.

Giro hasn’t come on.

Nyhuis has stagnated over the last two years.

Cerra? Is he on track? Duman? Tucker?

Out of that entire game, the biggest plus for me was Valente. This is a kid who is still 18, has had an interrupted preseason and only joined in full training what, two weeks ago? He was thrown in to the midfield against mature WAFL / AFL players and ended up with 19 possessions. And unlike some of our ball butchers, I thought e looked very composed with ball in hand.

I'd be very surprised if Valente is not in the firsts at some stage this season.

Carter also played his best game for the year, and has a LOT of upside.
Agree and I'm surprised at the shade thrown at Darcy. He dominated the hitouts getting 44 (Scott 3, Meek 6) to Brooksby 27 (McInness 7). Darcy is still only 20 against an experieced 28 year old, so don't slap him down as he's very good at getting the tap.

It's what happened then was the problem. We had not as many kicks and only half the amount of marks indicate the Beagles trying the same game plan as WC and Peel trying the same game plan as us, with the same skill execution.

They had a young and inexperienced team with 4 ammos and around seven 18 and 19 year olds to around 9 for us. There oldest was Daddy Scofield at 30 years but the next oldest was an ammo.

Peel 6.13 to 11.11 gives an indication of our problem as well.

Meek and Jones have clearly gone backwards. Early signs look like Bewley may have also but it’s too early to say for sure.

Banfield is a shadow of the player he was last year and even worse than when at Claremont.

Giro hasn’t come on.

Tucker looked really good in the center first two games. Then he’s been shifted and he’s disappeared. Seems more of a coaching thing than development.

And I was thinking today it can’t be a coincidence that good ball users come to the club and get worse: Bewley, Crowden

Is there something in the way our conditioning people train them that causes a change?
Schultz and Crowden have lost pace and Colyer has lost his zip. He had express pace at Essendon and he’s not of the age where you lose it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tucker looked really good in the center first two games. Then he’s been shifted and he’s disappeared. Seems more of a coaching thing than development.

And I was thinking today it can’t be a coincidence that good ball users come to the club and get worse: Bewley, Crowden

Is there something in the way our conditioning people train them that causes a change?
Schultz and Crowden have lost pace and Colyer has lost his zip. He had express pace at Essendon and he’s not of the age where you lose it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that we put far too much emphasis on getting players to a desired level of fitness rather than building that in the process of improving players skill level and athleticism.

Imo it’s the head coaches job to ensure his players are fully prepared to be able to perform at the level required to achieve success as a team. That’s not currently happening.

Giro hasn’t come on.

Tucker has been playing well this year. Cerra was in our best players as recently as last week. Of the rest Banfield, Giro, Nyhuis, Duman are rookies.
Banfield and Giro in year 2 are probably more advanced than they should be and Duman is currently best 22 and looking like an afl player.
Nyhuis is a solid defender but lacks a trick which keeps him out of the team (doesn't have elite pace, disposal or intercept marking).
Bewley has played 1 game of wafl?
Jones was selected as a mature body back-up that we did actually need last year.
Meek is a speculative late pick ruckman he probably won't make it and the odds were never in his favour. Still young and has time to develop.
Crowdens disposal is the same as it's been the whole time he's been here. Can deliver a beautiful kick when in time and space but he's hit and miss. Has the opposite condition to Cerra in that he always seems to lack time and space - makes poor decisions under pressure. Probably why he went at pick 59 not pick 10. Again 2nd year player with time to improve

Should the coaches get any credit for the advanced development of Sean Darcy or Brennan Cox? That Luke Ryan is on his way to becoming an A-grade half back? That Andrew Brayshaw is holding his own in the middle as a 19 year old?

Tucker has been playing well this year. Cerra was in our best players as recently as last week. Of the rest Banfield, Giro, Nyhuis, Duman are rookies.
Banfield and Giro in year 2 are probably more advanced than they should be and Duman is currently best 22 and looking like an afl player.
Nyhuis is a solid defender but lacks a trick which keeps him out of the team (doesn't have elite pace, disposal or intercept marking).
Bewley has played 1 game of wafl?
Jones was selected as a mature body back-up that we did actually need last year.
Meek is a speculative late pick ruckman he probably won't make it and the odds were never in his favour. Still young and has time to develop.
Crowdens disposal is the same as it's been the whole time he's been here. Can deliver a beautiful kick when in time and space but he's hit and miss. Has the opposite condition to Cerra in that he always seems to lack time and space - makes poor decisions under pressure. Probably why he went at pick 59 not pick 10. Again 2nd year player with time to improve

Should the coaches get any credit for the advanced development of Sean Darcy or Brennan Cox? That Luke Ryan is on his way to becoming an A-grade half back? That Andrew Brayshaw is holding his own in the middle as a 19 year old?

Ok, all good then. No issues, carry on. :rolleyes:

I don’t see the advanced development of Darcy and Cox. I see god given talent that has them on an expected path. Brayshaw is a number 2 draft pick. Playing ok as a 19yo is no surprise nor is it unique.

Despite your obvious knowledge in this area, I’m sorry but I don’t feel any better from your explanations. The sight of players going nowhere or backwards is concerning despite where they were drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giro hasn’t come on.

For mine, in answer to your questions:

Jones - Is where I expected him to be; to get full value needs to play ruck. Has improved his fitness a little since joining the club but was always going to be a battle. If anything the mistake was in drafting and/or list management not development.
Meek - Was going to be a 50-50 for mine. Have never really seen the athleticism advertised pre-draft and doesn't take enough marks (hands are not good). He was a late pick so not too disappointed, but I suppose Jones and Darcy have stifled opportunities for him; again maybe a list management error with late picks.
Bewley - Seeing him yesterday I think he looks good in space but he isn't getting much of that at the moment. Playing the game a bit too safe at the moment - needs to run harder when he gets the ball.
Crowden - I think he disposal has always been okay, it is his decision making under AFL level pressure that hasn't transitioned well to the top level. Like Brayshaw, is trying to bullet passes all the time and keeps getting spoilt or kicking into the man on the mark. You would think someone would have had a word with him on that.
Banfield - I think he is roughly what he was at Claremont. Obviously he has grown a bit and he is probably dealing with that somewhat, but not having a good kick limits what he can play as.
Giro - Is what he is; I thought pre-season performance was promising with improvement to his disposal but he is a somewhat one dimensional player. Rookie player upgraded for working hard.
Crowden - a player based
Nyhuis - another rookie player upgraded for working hard but also very one dimensional. I thought he wouldn't get many games at the start of the season and he isn't.
Cerra - had one good game so far and has improved but I probably thought he would be further along then he is right now and I thought they might have played him midfield.
Duman - Is probably ahead of where I had him (which was not in the side based on last year).

Ok, all good then. No issues, carry on. :rolleyes:

I don’t see the advanced development of Darcy and Cox. I see god given talent that has them on an expected path. Brayshaw is a number 2 draft pick. Playing ok as a 19yo is no surprise nor is it unique.

Despite your obvious knowledge in this area, I’m sorry but I don’t feel any better from your explanations. The sight of players going nowhere or backwards is concerning despite where they were drafted.
Thats just saying any player that plays well is because of there talent and any player playing poorly is because of our poor development staff. I'd agree that I would have Brayshaw and Cerra as a neutral in regards to there development but I also think that of the top 15 of there draft only Stephenson and Naughton are ahead of them

Strnadica marking and kicking is a lot better for a forward /ruck , he speed is around the same as Jones and Meek both more ruck /forward and when you add Sean Darcy omg.
We have no need for a forward/ruck. We have Lobb and Taberner already. Strnadica, Meek and Jones all have the same problem, which is a lack of mobility which limits their on field contributions. And when partnering Darcy that is magnified.

We need a #1 ruck either to challenge Darcy or on standby of he is injured. I wouldn't be surprised if we hit the trade week with a mature ruck on the shopping list, and I won't be disappointed if we called out Jackson's name on draft day.

I think some people forget how much better Jones was at EP. Meeks too was much better in the VFL than he is in the WAFL. Saying that they’re limited players so it is what it is, is a cop out. Have a look what they were before entering a supposed elite professional regime.

Banfield too was very good for Claremont. He was a shadow of that player yesterday.

I hope you guys are right and we’re doing a great job by industry standards. We’ve certainly invested heavily in this area so it should be working. I don’t see it. I see plenty of room for improvement.

Strnadica marking and kicking is a lot better for a forward /ruck , he speed is around the same as Jones and Meek both more ruck /forward and when you add Sean Darcy omg.

Have you seen Strnadica play this season? I’m calling he won’t find another AFL club. I agree that Jones is no good - just too slow. The love for Strnadica on here was not unlike Andrew Browne or Brock O’Brien. I just don’t get it.

I’m not sure what to make of Meek. My biggest concern is that he drops his head in marking contests and has hard hands. Meek is a good challenge for David Hale.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The West's wafl watch

Peel Thunder
Bailey Banfield: Looked down on confidence after getting dropped from the seniors.

Brett Bewley: Had a decent WAFL debut in the midfield. Found plenty of the ball but, like several of his teammates struggled to hit targets.
Jason Carter: Showed glimpses of his exciting potential as a dashing defender.
Brennan Cox: Was strong down back opposed to Eagles captain Fraser McInnes.
It’s not too late to sign up for tipping and Pick 7 fantasy! There’s great weekly cash prizes and the automatic chance to win a Mazda BT-50... Register to play The Game tipping and fantasytoday!
Mitch Crowden: Prolific through the midfield for the second game in a row. Needs to improve disposal efficiency though.
Sean Darcy: Wasn’t at his best around the ground but at least beat opposition ruckman Keegan Brooksby in the hit-outs count.
Scott Jones: Rarely sighted.
Lloyd Meek: Kicked a late goal when the game was already lost but didn’t do a whole lot else.
Tom North: The Thunder’s best player with 28 disposals, seven tackles and four inside-50s. Looks ready for an AFL debut.
1555220771306_G9C25PEP9.1-1.jpg
Tom North pressures Matthew Allen yesterday.Picture: Jackson Flindell
Sam Sturt: Fremantle’s top draft pick showed some promising signs but looks a fair way off getting an AFL call-up.
Luke Valente: Super impressive on debut. The South Australian looks to be a draft steal at pick 32.
Tobe Watson: Solid down back.
1555220771306_G9C25PEU7.1-1.jpg

Have you seen Strnadica play this season? I’m calling he won’t find another AFL club. I agree that Jones is no good - just too slow. The love for Strnadica on here was not unlike Andrew Browne or Brock O’Brien. I just don’t get it.

I’m not sure what to make of Meek. My biggest concern is that he drops his head in marking contests and has hard hands. Meek is a good challenge for David Hale.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can't keep delisting players and Draft the same type or worse player every year and then said they are spud and lack game experience , they are either not develop properly or the recruiters did a bad job in identify talent . Liam Ryan could easily be drafted using Strnadica rookie pick .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back