2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Under JLo I haven't quite been able to put my finger on what troubles me about his coaching and the culture he is breeding in our playing group.

Watching the Freo listed players in today's Peel finals game finally twigged it for me.

It isn't that they don't enjoy winning enough - they enjoy winning heaps.
But under JLo they just don't hate losing enough. Losing (especially close losses) are fine.

Great teams, and winning teams, hate losing, absolutely despise losing, far far more than they enjoy a win.

I don't know how you have reached this conclusion; what is the basis of your argument that the players don't hate losing, and furthermore that it specifically is linked with Longmuir?

If you listen to their post-match interviews in the seniors, players like Serong and Brayshaw clearly hate losing. As for Peel today, based upon post match interviews, players like Erasmus hate losing. Further more you could argue that the list management team in conjunction with the coaches have actively managed out of the team players that were rather flippant about their approach to winning.

Maybe someone like Brodie doesn't care as much, but then you could argue he has been somewhat care-less nearly all season, and hence why he found himself in the WAFL and not in the seniors.

Under JLo I haven't quite been able to put my finger on what troubles me about his coaching and the culture he is breeding in our playing group.

Watching the Freo listed players in today's Peel finals game finally twigged it for me.

But under JLo they just don't hate losing enough. Losing (especially close losses) are fine.

Great teams, and winning teams, hate losing, absolutely despise losing, far far more than they enjoy a win.
Hmm...there's probably an element of this, but like it's weird to pinpoint the exact causes. There's probably 2 that I have in mind.

On one level, there's been chatter a couple times of the team's mentality of "you're either on the train or under it". The guys who are in gotta be all in. And if they're all in on the team, we're all in on them. Specifically for Peel, you've probably got a fair amount of players who at least aren't firmly on the train. Generally the best preparers are the guys that achieve the best results, and are in the main team because of that. Serong said there's some absolute dogs in the team that always want to improve but are never satisfied. But there's also some who blatantly aren't and never will be at that stage and some who are sort of in btwn and at some point have to come to a crossroads.

The other level is the whole "Are we a young/inexperienced team, a team that thinks of itself as a serious contender, or both?" If your list mgmt is making non-winning decisions, that permeates through the coaching and the players. Perpetually staying young, inexperienced, and bleeding best 22 players, and hoping the youth catches up to that. This year we made some nice noise about youth not being an excuse. But did we really believe that, having traded away 2 best 22 players, brought all the top picks into the following season, and filling out the list with low picks and post-draft pick-ups? And even if we did believe that, did that switch flip for everyone, or are there still some who see us as a developmental project?

Hopefully part of the benefit of having an off-season where it looks like our best 22 will get better without accounting for youth for the first time in forever (apart from getting the players themselves) is that players know it's no excuses time. If the team is net gaining in age and experience, trading first rounders for established players...you're not talking a team striving for improvement, you're talking a team striving for winning.

Think today isn’t about losing more the fact it’s just individuals wrapped together to make a team v a hungry, mean driven state league side wanting to make the GF for Notte. Big difference

Wilson was absolutely useless. Wouldn’t have know he played AFL.

Worner and Hughes on the same team is diabolical.

But all WAFL teams can do and will do is flood the forward line of Peel, have 2-3 players behind the ball and just counter attack. Peel had no ascendency in stoppages so was easy for Swan Districts to just lock the ball up

I don't know how you quantify their desire to not lose.

I don't know how you quantify their desire to not lose.
It’s not the first time they've made wild unsubstantiated claims. Completely baseless accusations. Made up just to shit on people.
How does one quantiy the degree to which another person feels emotion. It's not something that is humanely possible. Thus, a ridiculous statement to make.

Actually I though the main drag on Peel yesterday was the Peel players. Brodie wasn't trying and Simpson couldn't get near it in the first half, and Jones all day, but the rest of our contingent had pretty solid games. Conversly Hancock, Grey, Colton, Wyburd, Wilson, Tuia and Brown were f#$@ing awful. Selwoods body language was very poor also I thought, and I swear he barely touched it after half time.
We'd be better off playing away, Rushton is obviously very heavy atm and doesn't suit our afl style gameplan.

Last edited:
Actually I though the main drag on Peel yesterday was the Peel players. Brodie wasn't trying and Simpson couldn't get near it in the first half, and Jones all day, but the rest of our contingent had pretty solid games. Conversly Hancock, Grey, Colton, Wyburd, Wilson, Tuia and Brown were f#$@ing awful. Selwoods body language was very poor also I thought, and I swear he barely touched it after half time.
We'd be better off playing away, Rushton is obviously very heavy atm and doesn't suit our afl style gameplan.

Bell was pretty ineffective too. It could be they picked a team of bigger bodied players thinking it was going to rain through most of the match. They had very little run.

Can't drop Reidy after 65 hit outs against, but Eastland dominated Reidy in the Rd 9 game and in both games last season.

Can't really see Peel playing 2 rucks either.

Eastland reported to have said that Knobel is the most difficult opponent in the ruck he's come up against in the WAFL after the Peel vs Clar game in Rd 18.

Can't drop Reidy after 65 hit outs against, but Eastland dominated Reidy in the Rd 9 game and in both games last season.

Can't really see Peel playing 2 rucks either.

Eastland reported to have said that Knobel is the most difficult opponent in the ruck he's come up against in the WAFL after the Peel vs Clar game in Rd 18.
Being saying all year Knobel is superior to Reidy especially for the future, 65 hit outs but how many of those were to advantage
Reidy cant take a mark around the ground (donuts again yesterday and in his two league games) Eastland consistently was a marking target for Claremont

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Replacing a ruckman with a key forward is always going to be a move I'll never understand, they're so far from the same thing.

It's obvious we thought Jackson would pull his finger out if given the #1 ruck role

He was vsing Stanley (not some elite ruck) and we beat the cats last year with Jackson as #1 ruck

Seemed a pretty simple decision in the end, Jackson shouldve copppes a shit tonne more heat for that game than he has

It's obvious we thought Jackson would pull his finger out if given the #1 ruck role

He was vsing Stanley (not some elite ruck) and we beat the cats last year with Jackson as #1 ruck

Seemed a pretty simple decision in the end, Jackson shouldve copppes a shit tonne more heat for that game than he has
Luke wasn't at full fitness for most of the second half of the year. He was battling severe general soreness every week from about Round 8 or 9 and had a persistent shin injury. Playing him ruck for 80% of game time early in the year had an effect on his athleticism later in the year.My source is someone who's contact is one of the trainer's at the club but its bigfooty Im posting on so if you don't believe what Im saying is true simply watch a game on a replay from early on in the year. Ive also been told most at the club think Luke's best position long term will be as a big midfielder who's the second ruck.

Ive also been told Mathew Johnson is the player that is highly likely to be asked if he wants to be traded if the Picket rumours become a possibility. Obviously if Jackson was to play more midfield it would be even more difficult for MJ to get time in his best position onball.

If Jackson is to play onball we also need another class tall forward We've been following Shannahan (a 193cm forward) closely who along with Berry are the two players we've interviewed the most of all draft prospects.

While we are also looking at bringing in a mature pressure forward. Hence the interest in Joe Richards and we have at least some interest in Malcom Rosas.

Last edited:
Luke wasn't at full fitness for most of the second half of the year. He was battling severe general soreness every week from about Round 8 or 9 and had a persistent shin injury. Playing him ruck for 80% of game time early in the year had an effect on his athleticism later in the year.My source is someone who's contact is one of the trainer's at the club but its bigfooty Im posting on so if you don't believe what Im saying is true simply watch a game on a replay from early on in the year. Ive also been told most at the club think Luke's best position long term will be as a big midfielder who's the second ruck.

Ive also been told Mathew Johnson is the player that is highly likely to be asked if he wants to be traded if the Picket rumours become a possibility as obviously if Jackson was to play more midfield it would be even more difficult for MJ to get time in his best position onball. o

If Jackson is to play onball we also need another class tall forward We've been following Shannahan (a 193cm forward) closely who along with Berry are the two players we've interviewed the most of all draft prospects.

While we are also looking at bringing in a mature pressure forward. Hence the interest in Joe Richards and we have at least some interest in Malcom Rosas.
Yeah, noticed that lower leg strapping for most of the season.

You're going to really upset go_the_dockers here and get his hopes up only to be crushed

You're going to really upset go_the_dockers here and get his hopes up only to be crushed

haha

I won't get my hopes up for any draftee until after trade week. I am just happy we are addressing our small forward weakness.

If we get Pickett, Richards, Berry, Winder or ............ I will be happy (Ideally 2 of them), as long as I don't have to watch us line up with Emmett, Walters and Switta as our small forwards.

Ive also been told Mathew Johnson is the player that is highly likely to be asked if he wants to be traded if the Picket rumours become a possibility. Obviously if Jackson was to play more midfield it would be even more difficult for MJ to get time in his best position onball.

Very surprised by the Johnson trade comment, thought we were lining him up for Fyfes spot, would explain why noddy is playing inside mid more though.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back