2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Very surprised by the Johnson trade comment, thought we were lining him up for Fyfes spot, would explain why noddy is playing inside mid more though.
As far as I know Johnson hasn't asked to be traded but rather there is a view by some at the club that to unlock Dogga's potential he needs to spend time onball so MJ would be the most likely to be asked about his interest in being traded. Ive also been told Luke would have been dealing with a fair bit of pain when landing going up for centre bouncedowns due to the shin injury.

As far as I know Johnson hasn't asked to be traded but rather there is a view by some at the club that to unlock Dogga's potential he needs to spend time onball so MJ would be the most likely to be asked about his interest in being traded. Ive also been told Luke would have been dealing with a fair bit of pain when landing going up for centre bouncedowns due to the shin injury.
I'm sorry but either your source is rubbish or the club has lost the plot. The club has rated Johnson very highly from the beginning and I share that sentiment. 193 cm midfielders don't grow on trees and his trajectory suggests he will be a damn good midfielder. You can't trade him out and expect an untried Jackson, Noddy, or even Erasmus to fill Fyfe's role. That is lunacy. Why would we even need to trade out Johnson to make room for Pickett? Fyfe, Walters, Switta, JOM, Brodie, Worner, Murphy and even Erasmus could/should be moved before Johnson is. The only way I would be okay with this is if we land Warner to replace him.

Even then I am hesitant, our midfield would become a defensive liability.
It's fine,

With:
Warner - 30 goals
Bolton - 50 Goals
Pickett - 40 Goals
Treacy - 50 Goals
Amiss - 40 Goals
Freddy - 25 Goals
Sturt - 30 Goals
Young - 25 Goals
Serong - 25 Goals
Brayshaw - 15 Goals
Clark - 10 Goals
Switta - 15 Goals
Sharp - 10 Goals
Jackson - 20 Goals
Darcy - 10 Goals

That's 103 points/game. ;)

I'm sorry but either your source is rubbish or the club has lost the plot. The club has rated Johnson very highly from the beginning and I share that sentiment. 193 cm midfielders don't grow on trees and his trajectory suggests he will be a damn good midfielder. You can't trade him out and expect an untried Jackson, Noddy, or even Erasmus to fill Fyfe's role. That is lunacy. Why would we even need to trade out Johnson to make room for Pickett? Fyfe, Walters, Brodie, Worner, Murphy and even Erasmus could/should be moved before Johnson is. The only way I would be okay with this is if we land Warner to replace him.
My source is great thanks as he's constantly been proven right many times over the years Ive known him. Certainly a shitload more right than you ever are. What Im saying is if any player was traded that has value Johnson could be asked the question. Not exactly ground breaking news. People at the club rate Luke Jackson way higher as a midfielder than you do and consider his move into the midfield super important for us to win a Premiership. We aren't getting Bolton and Picket for picks only. Something has to give.

People at the club rate Luke Jackson way higher as a midfielder than you do and consider his move into the midfield super important for us to win a Premiership.
Obviously on the outside we won't know what goes on behind closed doors. As far as I'm concerned his form has regressed and he is not living up to the price we paid in cap and picks. Jacko is still very young so I'm not concerned but we can't put the horse before the cart. We need to trial Jackson in the midfield to see if it works. If the club rates Jacko as a midfielder as highly as you claim they do, it is surprising they have not trialled him as a rover already when his form plummeted.

Obviously on the outside we won't know what goes on behind closed doors. As far as I'm concerned his form has regressed and he is not living up to the price we paid in cap and picks. Jacko is still very young so I'm not concerned but we can't put the horse before the cart. We need to trial Jackson in the midfield to see if it works. If the club rates Jacko as a midfielder as highly as you claim they do, it is surprising they have not trialled him as a rover already when his form plummeted.
He had a shin injury that effected his movement making it harder to play midfield. His form didn't plummet as he was still contributing. It was in fact the plan to have him move midfield when Darcy got back to full fitness but the shin injury effected LJ's explosiveness. Im quoting a direct source you can believe me or not Im not phased. Its the same source that told me Warner has more family in Melbourne than Perth including his parents so Freo doesn't believe he's returning to Perth. Lets see how all that plays out. Im sure you'll prove me wrong on something football related eventually.

Jackson dominated at the clearances in 2023 when playing mid. In the period he was playing onball we went from last to 1st in the comp in terms of clearance differential. We have trialed him midfield. It was a massive success but we also need him forward/ruck and for most of last year we led the comp in clearance differential.

Last edited:
He had a shin injury that effected his movement making it harder to play midfield. His form didn't plummet as he was still contributing. It was in fact the plan to have him move midfield when Darcy got back to full fitness but the shin injury effected LJ's explosiveness. Im quoting a direct source you can believe me or not Im not phased. Its the same source that told me Warner has more family in Melbourne than Perth including his parents so Freo doesn't believe he's returning to Perth. Lets see how all that plays out. Im sure you'll prove me wrong on something football related eventually.

Jackson dominated at the clearances in 2023 when playing mid. In the period he was playing onball we went from last to 1st in the comp in terms of clearance differential. We have trialed him midfield. It was a massive success but we also need him forward and ruck ad for most of last year we led the comp in clearance differential.
Very cool inside info, thanks for sharing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson dominated at the clearances in 2023 when playing mid. In the period he was playing onball we went from last to 1st in the comp in terms of clearance differential. We have trialed him midfield. It was a massive success but we also need him forward/ruck and for most of last year we led the comp in clearance differential.
Happy to pay that - something was definitely off with Jackson.

3 tall forwards plus Jackson midfield/forward would be overkill. Especially with Sturt in there.

Switkowski Amiss Sturt
Frederick Treacy Bolton/rotating mid

A bit of speed there
Seems strange that people bemoan our lack of F50 tackles when we opt to play 3 talls and a medium and our method is to create space and separation in the F50. Just watch our entries, if the kick isn’t perfect to a leading forward, of course the opposition walk it out, your line up above has a lot more speed to close down the space but lacks the marking power the 3 talls plus Sturt bring.

I think at this point Brodie has accepted he hasn't got it in him to break into our team, I'd trade him for whatever we can get for him now, I can't see him playing for us again.

Broidie was a salary dump by Gold Coast and now he's 3 years older, can't see anyone being interested. Pretty sure the club would take pick 50 of offered.

Handy depth, Young fractured his leg in the last game if that happened in round 18 Brodie probably gets his spot.

Seems strange that people bemoan our lack of F50 tackles when we opt to play 3 talls and a medium and our method is to create space and separation in the F50. Just watch our entries, if the kick isn’t perfect to a leading forward, of course the opposition walk it out, your line up above has a lot more speed to close down the space but lacks the marking power the 3 talls plus Sturt bring.
Switta, Freddy, Walters and even Sturt are the reason our pressure is trash I50. Small forwards that don't tackle are counter productive to the forwardline which is why we need Pickett.

Reidy, Brodie, Erasmus and O'Driscoll would all feel that they're good enough to have long AFL careers. To lose to a bunch of plumbers, accountants and school teachers is poor. Peel with that many AFL players should dominate part time footballers.

We'll find out in due course but it would be crazy to trade Johnson hoping that Jackson will become a very good midfielder. What if the experiment fails, or if Darcy goes down again and we need Jackson to ruck?

If they want to play Jackson on ball that's great. Johnson goes to the bench or to Peel. You don't roll the dice and trade a player on an experiment.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back