Strategy Pendles down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok so just a random thought, I know that a lot of people will disagree. Bucks recently mentioned the need to find quality ball users from HB “ which most of us already know “ .

Purely based on the assumption that we get one of Treloar / Aish or perhaps both our midfield for all intents and purposes is probably our strongest line. Adams, Greenwood, Crisp, Sidebottom, Da-Goey, “Treloar / Aish “ as the main stays and then Elliott, Fasolo, Swan. Pinch hitters.

Some have suggested that we send Sidebottom back. I argue that his best asset is his two way running and therefore we lose that if he goes back.

My Opinion is actually send Pendles down there.. Now before you Jump down my throat. Think Luke Hodge. I’m not saying play there week in week out or 100 % of game time. But I believe that he reads the game better then anyone. He is strong overhead, and kicks the ball well. Also as Captain I think when playing down back you can see the game unfold and make better decisions for team structures. Obviously he would go into the midfield when required but I do believe playing in the backline would benefit the team.

Thoughts ?

Ok so just a random thought, I know that a lot of people will disagree. Bucks recently mentioned the need to find quality ball users from HB “ which most of us already know “ .

Purely based on the assumption that we get one of Treloar / Aish or perhaps both our midfield for all intents and purposes is probably our strongest line. Adams, Greenwood, Crisp, Sidebottom, Da-Goey, “Treloar / Aish “ as the main stays and then Elliott, Fasolo, Swan. Pinch hitters.

Some have suggested that we send Sidebottom back. I argue that his best asset is his two way running and therefore we lose that if he goes back.

My Opinion is actually send Pendles down there.. Now before you Jump down my throat. Think Luke Hodge. I’m not saying play there week in week out or 100 % of game time. But I believe that he reads the game better then anyone. He is strong overhead, and kicks the ball well. Also as Captain I think when playing down back you can see the game unfold and make better decisions for team structures. Obviously he would go into the midfield when required but I do believe playing in the backline would benefit the team.

Thoughts ?
Forget it, its like playing Cyril Rioli in a back pocket

Hear what you are saying but it would leave to much of a skill gap in the middle and a waste of Pendles talent. That back role should go to Scharenberg if we can keep him.

Pendles is one of our primary midfield weapons and would be wasted in the back half. We have multiple options of the half back line and personally I don't see that area of the ground as a problem. Our biggest weaknesses are winning clearances, skill level and kicking straight.

Yeah I like your thinking but he is vital to our midfield setup.
We could probably try it now as our season is over and try give the kids a run through there for the experience.

Our midfield is so weak that taking Pendles out of it would kill us, we'd get beat by everyone, absolutely everyone.

He's struggling with an injury at the moment, as we all know, so if he was to be placed anywhere else it would be as a forward next to another one being nursed through the rest of the season, Ben Reid.

He is constantly sacrificing his own game and playing at the back of the stoppage, very often he is the cool head in the backline that finds space for a rebounding player.

Out of all our mids he is the most defensive minded and I think that's enough, we need him offensively as well.

I see what you are saying, and i think there is definitely an argument for him to spend more time there (which he does at times) when teams seem to have dominance... But we don't have the midfield talent to afford to do that consistently.

Hodgey can do that because they have guns all over the ground. Its the same reason Gibson can get away with being a poor man-to-man defender, or Cyril can get away with not doing much for a big chunk of gametime... They have the cattlea nd gameplan to make it all work. We don't.

Looks a good move on the strength of tonight's performance! Geelong look as interested as us last week, but hats off to you domin8tors and Buckley because this one has some promise. At worst it provides a bit of on-field leadership to an inexperienced back 6 at best we get a further good user behind the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I have thought about as a temporary (or even permanent) fix for the back line is moving Pendles to a HBF. It's been a great success for teams like Hawthorn with Hodge/Mitchell/Burgoyne and Geelong with Bartel/Corey where they play off the back flank as playmakers, then move into the middle if the team needs a lift. Fasolo was tried there yesterday with mixed results, but I do think it's something worth persisting (the choices are Fasolo, Sidebottom and Broomhead, Fas is the best kick, best 1v1, and teaching him defensive mindset will be good for him).

In a couple of years, we could have Pendles, Scharenberg and Fas rotating off the back flank in such a way. Terrible kicks in the back line you say?

I have liked Pendles to the back line for a while. It's only now that we might really have the cattle to pull it off. And yes, I suggested Fasolo be played back permanently too. Can't win 'em all. :p

Yeah great call.

Pendle's made our defense infinitely better tonight than what's been served up the past 8 weeks. He brought one touch skills, beautiful disposal and most importantly vision and composure.

He'll get to 350 games plus if we use him as a creative backman and it will benefit our side enormously automatically. Well done to Pendles and well done to Bucks for trying this out.

Liked Pendles off half back, could be a master stroke playing him off half back rotating into midfield?Will pre long his career too, If we land Treloar then our midfield would look like this-
Ruck:Grundy
RR:Treloar
R:Adams
Next wave through De Goey Crisp Greenwood Sidebottom Aish? Freeman (when fit)
Swan play more forward Pendles play more back

Yeah great call.

Pendle's made our defense infinitely better tonight than what's been served up the past 8 weeks. He brought one touch skills, beautiful disposal and most importantly vision and composure.

He'll get to 350 games plus if we use him as a creative backman and it will benefit our side enormously automatically. Well done to Pendles and well done to Bucks for trying this out.
Buckley also played a lot of his footy across half back

I didn't quite see it the way others did. He was being played behind the ball last night which is not quite the same thing as being played down back. He still ran both ways with the ball. We just went into the game with a different midfield mix in the centre which included Greenwood, Crisp, De Goey and Adams. It's part of midfield rotations which becomes too predictable for opposition teams if you play the same players in the middle every week. Also due to gut running, you can wear players out if you play them in the middle all the time. Pendles could be back in the middle next week against Essendon depending on match ups and other factors.

Pendles is one of our primary midfield weapons and would be wasted in the back half. We have multiple options of the half back line and personally I don't see that area of the ground as a problem. Our biggest weaknesses are winning clearances, skill level and kicking straight.

So was Hodge for Hawks, they didn't send him back because he was no good as a mid he was a gun mid and better then Mitchell he went back for strategic reasons and when they needed him he would play on ball.

Theory behind it is setting up the attacks off HB from turnovers, these days most mid clearances are rushed or defended anyway.

First up, great call domin8tors. Having Pendles freed up gave us some clean ball use which really hurt the opposition.

It also helped having some class users in Maynard and Reid down back. Reid down back just seems to balance things out. Langdon can be hit and miss off the boot but his intercept marking is excellent.

Pendles playing the role played last night gives us some extra drive and insurance of sorts. Knowing we'll have a good decision maker/kick will free up the forwards too and make their job easier.

He's got the flexibility to play the role so why not? He plays it better than Sidebottom and Sidey gets free up forward more often. All up its a great move.

Does anyione have heat maps for Pendles from last night? I think if you have an AFL subscription you can access them???
I got this one of him shepherding, does this help??

body-heat.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Pendles down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back