Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there are a few key factors that need to be considered for any new stadium that is built:
1. Location. Most important thing is where the stadium will be. location for the Perth stadium has been set already, and I dont know Perth one iota but assume the location is an A

2. External look. The stadium needs to look great from the outside. Needs to be a talking point to help get people in. If the stadium looks bland, tourists and the like will walk right by. If its intriguing, then they will stop and visit the stadium. Maybe a changing face could work. Something plastered on the outside, then when it becomes outdated, can be removed and replaced by a new concept.

3. Capacity. The capacity needs to be adequate for the venue and what it is hosting. ie, no point building a 40k seat stadium in Perth as its too small, but no point building a 110k seat stadium as its too large. Many factors to consider when deciding the capacity. After memberships/corporate ect are taken out, maybe around 10-15% of capacity should be available for general public to get tickets.

4. Expansion. No point building at 65k seat stadium today, that in 10yrs is too small and unable to be added to. An ideal stadium will be built in a way that expansion can be carried out without too much effort. Etihad can be expanded as its one solid structure, AO have the hill which another 15-20k seat stand can be put onto when the time comes. By having stand alone stands in the ground makes for easier expansion.

5. Multi-purpose. Stadiums these days need to cater for more than just one sport. I assume that cricket will be moved to the new stadium along with AFL/WAFL (except tests have an existing agreement with WACA?) An ideal stadium, like etihad and ANZ? can be moved around to accomodate rectangular sports soccer/nrl/super 14. Places like WA/SA ect during footy season only have the ground used one day a week for matches, this needs to be capitalised on by including other sports at the ground.

2. External look. The stadium needs to look great from the outside. Needs to be a talking point to help get people in. If the stadium looks bland, tourists and the like will walk right by. If its intriguing, then they will stop and visit the stadium. Maybe a changing face could work. Something plastered on the outside, then when it becomes outdated, can be removed and replaced by a new concept.
I'm actually cautiously optimistic that the inside will be standard and just a few layers of bowl-design, but that the outside will be unique. Perth City seems to be willing to try a few new things. The Arena is a cool design. It got people talking. Every time I caught the Fremantle line you'd hear people talk about it – a lot of people hating the architecture, but discussion none the less. You want that. You want controversy and discussion and engagement in art. As long as you're close to a toilet and the seats have a good view and you can get to the ground easily, which will no doubt happen, the other things don't really matter. So why not make people talk about them?

People only talk about Adelaide Oval because it was a beautiful old ground, probably the best cricket venue in the country, and has added relevance because the AFL's there now. The outside is rank. The interior is overinflated. Perth can't rely on just copper and glass and steel and stock looks. It needs to get interest and novelty in other ways. You want interstaters to book a trip because it's a really iconic and interesting building.

5. Multi-purpose. Stadiums these days need to cater for more than just one sport. I assume that cricket will be moved to the new stadium along with AFL/WAFL (except tests have an existing agreement with WACA?) An ideal stadium, like etihad and ANZ? can be moved around to accomodate rectangular sports soccer/nrl/super 14. Places like WA/SA ect during footy season only have the ground used one day a week for matches, this needs to be capitalised on by including other sports at the ground.
I think this is kind of redundant. Does anyone know the status?

I think at Etihad they're paying like $10,000 or 20-grand or something to bring the seats in for the soccer. I can't imagine an entity in WA doing that. Plus NIB is actually a great little boutique stadium – the new stands look nice, are good to sit in, and hold a decent capacity. You can get 20,000 in there. And I think there's plans to do up the other side so, five years into Burswood being built, NIB'll hold about 25,000ish anyway. Plus the Force are in with more of a chance of folding than having enough interest to sell out NIB to the extent this new ground'll be needed. And the Glory will only ever need to upgrade if they make another home Grand Final – which is something that might happen, what, every 10-15 years? And it's not like the FFA care about anyone but the Eastern Seaboard (and specifically Steak and Kidney) to birth a Socceroos game at Burswood. So it's probably a pointless addition.

I think this is kind of redundant. Does anyone know the status?

I think at Etihad they're paying like $10,000 or 20-grand or something to bring the seats in for the soccer. I can't imagine an entity in WA doing that. Plus NIB is actually a great little boutique stadium – the new stands look nice, are good to sit in, and hold a decent capacity. You can get 20,000 in there. And I think there's plans to do up the other side so, five years into Burswood being built, NIB'll hold about 25,000ish anyway. Plus the Force are in with more of a chance of folding than having enough interest to sell out NIB to the extent this new ground'll be needed. And the Glory will only ever need to upgrade if they make another home Grand Final – which is something that might happen, what, every 10-15 years? And it's not like the FFA care about anyone but the Eastern Seaboard (and specifically Steak and Kidney) to birth a Socceroos game at Burswood. So it's probably a pointless addition.

The overall stadium plan is not to have moveable seating. The plan is that in oval configuration the front row of seats on the boundary are 1.5m above the playing surface; a bit like US baseball fields. For matches which use a rectangular pitch there will be temporary seats added in between the fence and the touch line. May also include corporate areas.

Rugby is apparently more popular than soccer in WA. http://www.theguardian.com/news/dat.../15/australia-football-interactive-statistics

I'm actually cautiously optimistic that the inside will be standard and just a few layers of bowl-design, but that the outside will be unique. Perth City seems to be willing to try a few new things. The Arena is a cool design. It got people talking. Every time I caught the Fremantle line you'd hear people talk about it – a lot of people hating the architecture, but discussion none the less. You want that. You want controversy and discussion and engagement in art. As long as you're close to a toilet and the seats have a good view and you can get to the ground easily, which will no doubt happen, the other things don't really matter. So why not make people talk about them?

Coming from Melbourne to Perth in early 2012, I hadn't heard much about Perth Arena until I got here. People I've spoken to don't like the design, but I think it's great. I saw Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young there and it was superb - the sound, the experience, everything about it was great.

I hope the new stadium follows this and just throws it out there, trying to be different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is silly....we don't even have a stadium yet

We have waited so long that the federal government will probably delay any financial help as the country is errr broke.watch the new folks

I'm staggered it's taken so long...took 4 years to decide where to build it

I mean FFS just pick some grass close to a train line and get on with it ....it's not that hard....omfg.

Design ....60,000-70,000 ...again not hard ....duh

WA ...wait awhile

We have made a really simple process so bloody hard

any preliminary images of the new stadium available?
I know concept designs formed part of the tender process.
No you see the wa committee would take 2 years to find so done who can actually draw a picture ...

If it took 4 years to find where to build it I mean seriously your asking someone to draw ...that's gonna take time o_O:mad:.....

Can't rush these things ....might get shit done if we hurry

This thread is silly....we don't even have a stadium yet

We have waited so long that the federal government will probably delay any financial help as the country is errr broke.watch the new folks

I'm staggered it's taken so long...took 4 years to decide where to build it

I mean FFS just pick some grass close to a train line and get on with it ....it's not that hard....omfg.

Design ....60,000-70,000 ...again not hard ....duh

WA ...wait awhile

We have made a really simple process so bloody hard
No you see the wa committee would take 2 years to find so done who can actually draw a picture ...

If it took 4 years to find where to build it I mean seriously your asking someone to draw ...that's gonna take time o_O:mad:.....

Can't rush these things ....might get shit done if we hurry

The stadium's actually ahead of schedule.

So why does every other city do it so easily
You do realise it is going to be built on a swampy old rubbish tip dont you and the associated processes that need to be done before construction commences on such a site let alone all of the other associated infrastructure that needs to be done eg road & rail??? :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back