Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

i dont get the pedestrian bridge thing - that end of the city fringe is deserted, and to get there from the heart of the city (malls) is a walk in itself, let alone a further walk over the bridge itself. if it was a light rail bridge (or electric buses bridge) with a track or circle route to /from wellington street that would be better?
but i guess thats more coin...
StraightLine.jpg

The major (well largish) car park located at WACA/Gloucester Park will be used. Red/Yellow Cats bringing peeps from City also go through there. So there probably will be good pedestrian traffic that will need a more direct route than Causeway or Graham Farmer round about ways.

i dont get the pedestrian bridge thing - that end of the city fringe is deserted, and to get there from the heart of the city (malls) is a walk in itself, let alone a further walk over the bridge itself. if it was a light rail bridge (or electric buses bridge) with a track or circle route to /from wellington street that would be better?

It has been announced that they will run shuttle buses in and around the CBD to and from the city end of the bridge, so you won't have to walk the whole way. If you were in the middle of the CBD you could also take the train, they'll be running at high frequency.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...r-your-club-20140506-zr5tt.html#ixzz30zZPCBfL

If that model is replicated with the new stadium, then it makes perfect sense why they're not keen on an 80k stadium immediately. Too large of a supply would mean less members and more walk up, which means less money for the two clubs.

It's a shame really, an 80k stadium would provide awesome atmosphere for those two teams... but like you say, that's less money for both clubs. Still, there's something not right about not trying to reach potential. The truth is, 60k would result in "sell out" games of about 50k attending. That's only a few thousand more than what Eagles are getting now. What about the long term? I guess they can upgrade the stadium when need be.

It's a shame really, an 80k stadium would provide awesome atmosphere for those two teams...

At that size apart from Derbies it would be almost half empty for Freo games and probably only about 3/4 full for WC which would be negative for the atmosphere. In saying that slightly larger at 65k would be a better size IMO.

East Perth isn't as deserted as it used to be. There's also quite a bit of parking over there. The bridge will get well used.

East Perth isn't as deserted as it used to be. There's also quite a bit of parking over there. The bridge will get well used.
Why do wa people insist on driving to the footy

I reckon limit the parking ....force people to take public transport

We need to do What Melbourne people do...catch public tar port to the footy

It's also a great to talk about the game before the game on public transport,

Limit the public parking and force people to catch public transport. It also reduces drink driving also.

It's better in every way .....also if people leave the game on foot they are likely to grab a beer or meal maybe after the game like Melbourne do.

I love going to the footy in Melbourne ....it's not just about the 2 hours of the game ..it's so much more

We have a real opportunity with this stadium to enhance footy culture ..let's get it right

Limit the public parking and force people to catch public transport. It also reduces drink driving also.

It's better in every way .....also if people leave the game on foot they are likely to grab a beer or meal maybe after the game like Melbourne do.

I love going to the footy in Melbourne ....it's not just about the 2 hours of the game ..it's so much more

We have a real opportunity with this stadium to enhance footy culture ..let's get it right

That's what they're doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our public transport system is bullshit. People don't want to be waiting 20 minutes in between trains to get home.

Looking at Adelaide Oval now on the tele, i would love the new stadium to have a decent sized standing room area.

Our public transport system is bullshit. People don't want to be waiting 20 minutes in between trains to get home.
It's not actually that bad.

Lots of people everywhere complain about public transport. Even if we have London's Underground in every Aussie city and the Eurail from Perth to Sydney everyone would talk about its negatives. There are always faults. There are always sections you can't get to or are a hassle to get to. Perth's is decent if you park somewhere close to your nearest station then bus or train to the game. Plenty of Melburnians have to do that to and West Aussies continually say how good the service to the football here is.

Our public transport system is fine for a city that is not suited to public transport.

You ever catch the train? It is horrendous mate- especially in peak hour. After the football is even worse.

You ever catch the train? It is horrendous mate- especially in peak hour. After the football is even worse.

North-south lines work fine. I believe they're getting more carriages soon too.

East-west lines are a bit worn at the moment, but there's not much they can do to change it.

Ultimately when you have a relatively small number of people spread out across a massive area, public transport is going to be less effective.

Our public transport system is fine for a city that is not suited to public transport.

Then why build a stadium that will rely on public transport?!? Especially since public transport upgrades will cost (supposedly) 300 million!

Then why build a stadium that will rely on public transport?!? Especially since public transport upgrades will cost (supposedly) 300 million!

The stadium is right next to the Armadale line.

The issue with our public transport is that it doesn't reach everyone. For those it does reach, it works pretty well.

The alternative to having a great number of people come in by public transport would be having them come in by car, which would be absolutely chaotic. This is far more sensible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back