Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

ICC has new regulations for any new stadiums that are being built today. They dont apply to existing cricket grounds. With the new stadium trying to have similar dimensions to Subi (long and skinny) the current ICC rules prevent the pitch from being laid goal-to-goal, and since a pitch has to be laid N-S there's no other choice but for the stadium to be E-W. Plus media boxes for cricket need to be at the ends of the pitch, and on the wings for footy, so N-S stadiums have 2 sets of media boxes. E-W you only need the one.

Can you please provide the ICC rules that state these new regulations they require for the venues. Apparently a new venue being developed for the 2020 WC excludes the regulation?

Some of those opposing your view are blinded by an inflated crowd number, thats why its the only number they talk of , not dollars, given no one knows the dollars at Adelaide Oval yet (shhh its a secret ... er whats being hidden & why), & even less is known about the stadium management arrangements at the new Perth venue.

Well given the BE at AO is 33k for the football teams, and the red backs will be lucky for 2k if fair to say the football clubs are paying overs for the ground and everyone else is getting a free deal!

Can you please provide the ICC rules that state these new regulations they require for the venues. Apparently a new venue being developed for the 2020 WC excludes the regulation?

If I must.

Law 19.1 - The boundary of the field of play

the playing area shall be a minimum of 150 yards (137.16 metres) from boundary to boundary square of the pitch, with the shorter of the two square boundaries being a minimum 65 yards (59.43 metres). the straight boundary at both ends of the pitch shall be a minimum of 70 yards (64.00 metres). distances shall be measured from the centre of the pitch to be used. in all cases the aim shall be to provide the largest playing area, subject to no boundary exceeding 90 yards (82.29 meters) from the centre of the pitch to be used. any ground which has been approved to host international cricket prior to 1st october 2007 or which is currently under construction as of this date which is unable to conform to these new minimum dimensions shall be exempt. in such cases the regulations in force immediately prior to the adoption of these regulations shall apply

The new Perth Stadium will be 165m x 130m, which is too narrow for the pitch to run goal-to-goal, and barely long enough for the pitch to run wing-to-wing. I dont know which ground you're referring to for the 2020 WC but it could have began construction prior to 2007.

Uhhhh guys?
1. There's is no World Cup in 2020. It's held every four years and the next one is next year (2015) so the on after that will be 2019. It will be held in England and Wales, and all of the venues listed on Wikipedia are existing.

2. The only international venue in the world with an East-West pitch is ANZ Stadium in Sydney, which isn't First-Class approved, and has ultra-high and ultra(from a cricket perspective)-close western stand. Looks terrible during the day though:
photo.php

Anyway, Old Trafford ran East-West for cricket until recently (2000s) when they re-laid the pitch North-South so the sun wouldn't make life a b!+ch for batsmen during the later hours.
Unless you're indoors or wanna play all of your games at night (the above photo is a Women's T20 game before the Men's, last summer), I'd run it North-South like everyone else.

Well given the BE at AO is 33k for the football teams, and the red backs will be lucky for 2k if fair to say the football clubs are paying overs for the ground and everyone else is getting a free deal!

You honestly think that the ground would employ as many staff for a 33k crowd as it would for a few hundred? All you'd need is a couple of gate attendants and a cleaner. Probably don't even have any security.

You honestly think that the ground would employ as many staff for a 33k crowd as it would for a few hundred? All you'd need is a couple of gate attendants and a cleaner. Probably don't even have any security.

The only people who rock up to shield games are old men and uni students so yeah wouldn't need any security.

I almost wished I went to Adelaide Uni now. I'd love to take a break from exam study by walking down to the Adelaide Oval to watch cricket for a few hours in November.

Perth’s new Burswood stadium to have few extra seats

Informed sources have told The Sunday Times the West Coast Eagles and the Fremantle Dockers want at least 50,000 seats at the new Perth Stadium to be reserved for its members and corporates.

Sports Minister Tuck Waldron has also confirmed a scheme is being investigated that would sell off “super memberships”, which are likely to cost about $10,000 a year and give the buyer a ticket to every event at the venue.

Super memberships are used at other major sporting stadiums across Australia.

It is understood there could be up to 5000 sold at the Burswood stadium.

This would leave just 5000 seats for general admission tickets – just 2000 more than available at the 43,500-seat football stadium in Subiaco.

Not a fan of the idea of corporate memberships. Its one of the reasons why Docklands rarely hits 50k+ crowds. Then again at $10000 a pop, 5000 sold would net $50 million.

The only people who rock up to shield games are old men and uni students so yeah wouldn't need any security.

I almost wished I went to Adelaide Uni now. I'd love to take a break from exam study by walking down to the Adelaide Oval to watch cricket for a few hours in November.

and drinking one of these...

upload_2014-5-31_9-38-19.jpeg

Perth’s new Burswood stadium to have few extra seats

Not a fan of the idea of corporate memberships. Its one of the reasons why Docklands rarely hits 50k+ crowds. Then again at $10000 a pop, 5000 sold would net $50 million.

Are you referring to Medallion Club or MCC style memberships or corporate boxes , even club coterie groups.

I'm anti any seating that gives preference to anyone but the members of the competing clubs e.g the MCG on Grand Final day, where members of the competing clubs battle to be 50% of the crowd, even Adelaide where SACA members get seats, absolutely joke.

What the new Perth stadium does need is to be able to attract tourists, including members of the competing clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The recent WACA member survey I got asked a lot of questions regarding the new stadium. And I'm guessing almost every member would be happy to move there.
I made it very clear in that survey that I would hesitate to renew my membership if Tests ever leave the WACA.

I made it very clear in that survey that I would hesitate to renew my membership if Tests ever leave the WACA.
Your joking, the WACA is a shit hole and should be bulldozed ASAP. We may as well stay at Subi as well then with the footy? This just highlights western australians to a tea. We winge about everything then when it comes to building something new we are all against it,baffling?

Your joking, the WACA is a shit hole and should be bulldozed ASAP. We may as well stay at Subi as well then with the footy? This just highlights western australians to a tea. We winge about everything then when it comes to building something new we are all against it,baffling?
The last thing I want is to see 15k people at a test in a 60k seat fishbowl. Will ruin the atmosphere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back