Peter Wright contact with Harry Cunningham: Pleads Guilty and Receives 4 Week Suspension

How long will Peter be in the sin bin?

• 0 weeks

Votes: 33 13.9%
  • 1 week

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 53 22.3%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 76 31.9%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • 6+ weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he braced for contact instead because some moron was running into him.

I wish he caved in his face, because this decision is corroding how good the game is
Womens Basketball What GIF by NCAA March Madness

If I was on the jury I would have ticked off on the 3 weeks, not 4. Even if it's just weasel words because they don't think they can defend against the charge, Wright is saying that he recognizes he was careless and that what he did is no longer acceptable. "Reward" that attitude in the same way way you give out large punitive punishments to ward off other offenders.

Agree - Webster deserved 10 - absolute dog act

That’s the one that was the howler the AFL literally had the one act to come down hard and they take the wet paper leaf penalty should have asked for 12 weeks, probably get 10 as a middle.

If I was on the jury I would have ticked off on the 3 weeks, not 4. Even if it's just weasel words because they don't think they can defend against the charge, Wright is saying that he recognizes he was careless and that what he did is no longer acceptable. "Reward" that attitude in the same way way you give out large punitive punishments to ward off other offenders.

So he gets 1 week more than Cunningham is out for? Doesn’t sit really well. Feel 4 just seems right.

So he gets 1 week more than Cunningham is out for? Doesn’t sit really well. Feel 4 just seems right.
I'd rather have players give the soundbite acknowledging what they did is unsuitable and the game has changed, than have them defending themselves to the hilt because they know admitting guilt to everything the MRP prosecutor says doesn't help in the slightest.

I'd rather have players give the soundbite acknowledging what they did is unsuitable and the game has changed, than have them defending themselves to the hilt because they know admitting guilt to everything the MRP prosecutor says doesn't help in the slightest.

Personally I’d be happy to reduce the suspensions for these cases but if a concussion occurs (like Simpkin) the penalty starts after that player is cleared to return

Yeah, he braced for contact instead because some moron was running into him.

I wish he caved in his face, because this decision is corroding how good the game is
I wish he did as well - then he would have got 10.

You have no idea.

He was late and he chose to protect himself at the expense of his opponent.

Fake tough guy stuff from the bombers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s really easy for people to say from the comfort of their lounge chairs- when watching the incident in extreme slow motion- that he “shouldn’t brace for contact and should just continue to go for the mark”, but when you’re out there in the heat of battle, and you’ve got your eyes on a ball- that was kicked to you- and then at the very last split second you realise you’re about to be cleaned up- by a guy coming at you at 30kmh from your blind spot- that is IMO fanciful.

Your natural instinct in a situation like that is very simple. Protect yourself. That is our pure human instinct when our safety is in danger. In particular, protect your head and vital organs.

Which is exactly what Wright did. The down-the-ground vision showed that he had his eyes on the ball until the very last split-second, until he realised he was about to get cleaned up from side on, at which point he did two things:

1: Jump off the ground to get his head out of the danger zone
2: He crossed his arms across his chest, to protect his vital organs.

Our brains job by far ahead of anything else is to keep us safe and alive. It doesn’t even care if we’re happy. Its job is to keep us safe and alive.

So expecting these guys to make a split-second decision to go against that instinct that every human has to protect themselves is IMO completely unreasonable.

This is a contact sport. People are going to get hurt. If Wright hadn’t done what he did to protect himself, there’s every chance he gets hurt.

Saying that guys can’t do anything to protect themselves because we’re trying to stop people getting hurt contradicts itself.

Even if they could overrule their natural instinct in that split second, they’re now putting themselves in serious danger of the hurt we’re supposedly trying to prevent!

“You can’t protect yourself from harm if you’re going to be involved in a heavy collision, you must keep yourself wide open, because we don’t want people getting hurt”.

Think about how insanely ridiculous that sounds. Yet that’s essentially what the rules are now saying.

You couldn’t make this s**t up.
30kmh LOL.🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Wright contact with Harry Cunningham: Pleads Guilty and Receives 4 Week Suspension

Back