Peter Wright vs Brodie Grundy

Who would you take

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread was an amazing read. Very interesting view into the hateful bias some people have for the 'hated' clubs. Collingwood, Richmond etc.

Grundy was ahead of schedule for a ruckman from day dot. It's like half the people in this thread just pretended they had seen him play then slagged him off to no end.

This is one of the worst threads in Bigfooty history - comparable with the Pendlebury vs. Urquhart thread on the North Melbourne board.
Pretty sure that thread was a complete pisstake.

I've already admitted I was wrong. Why do you have to keep rubbing it in. :(
Didn't see you admitting until just now :p

but then again even I am shocked by Grundy's progress. Best ruck in AFL at the age of 24 when rucks are more prominent than ever? To be honest all I was expecting was a player similar to the 2015 Stefan martin, good around the ground but can ruck.

However this year his taps have been exceptional

Didn't see you admitting until just now :p

but then again even I am shocked by Grundy's progress. Best ruck in AFL at the age of 24 when rucks are more prominent than ever? To be honest all I was expecting was a player similar to the 2015 Stefan martin, good around the ground but can ruck.

However this year his taps have been exceptional
I didn't see it to be honest but then again I have a hard time rating young ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re-reading this thread now. Lmao at that footscray peanut who said "Witts shows courage", thereby implying Grundy doesn't. For a bloke who's 6'10 Witts wasn't exactly fearless when he was at Collingwood. Remember his altercation with Buckley after he got out marked by Puopolo?

Re-reading this thread now. Lmao at that footscray peanut who said "Witts shows courage", thereby implying Grundy doesn't. For a bloke who's 6'10 Witts wasn't exactly fearless when he was at Collingwood. Remember his altercation with Buckley after he got out marked by Puopolo?
I also enjoyed Grundy "destroying Bellchambers in the VFL" when Bellchambers played Full Forward.

Yeah I got this one wrong, Grundy an absolute star.

To be fair I have no idea why this thread was started in the first place,was always asking for trolls and numpties to give their opinions.

No hindsight here, but I couldn't believe some of the posts in this thread at the time.
Who disregards a 20 year old ruck?

Especially given that Grundy showed he had serious ability from game 1, rendering a formerly high-level ruckman in Darren Jolly virtually redundant within months of making his debut.

By comparison, Wright has still been searching for consistency and form over the past couple of years, and is still trying to fully establish his niche at AFL level. It's no certainty he's ever going to truly "make it" as anything more than an average footballer, and his ceiling from here is much lower than originally touted.

Honestly, Wright feels like a less controversial, less talked about Tyrone Vickery, with all the tools to be a dangerous dual threat Paul-Salmon-at-Essendon type, but without the mental application or focused drive to steadily improve.

Tyrone Vickery, Seasons 1-5 (2009-2013) - 75 games (32 wins), 78.17% time on ground, 10.37 disposals per game, 3.72 marks per game (1.01 contested marks per game), 1.04 goals per game, 7.77 hitouts per game, 1.87 tackles per game, 1.73 one percenters per game, Champion Data Player Ranking score average of 65.27.

Peter Wright, Seasons 1-5 (2015-2019) - 66 games (13 wins), 85.98% time on ground, 11.58 disposals per game, 5.00 marks per game (1.35 contested marks per game), 1.29 goals per game, 4.95 hitouts per game, 1.65 tackles per game, 3.30 one percenters per game, Champion Data Player Ranking score average of 65.26.

They both had their share of injuries to deal with in that early phase of their career, and played in poor teams too, but when you take into account the difference is time on ground, is Wright really any more productive than the much-maligned Vickery was? You can only coast on size and "untapped potential" for so long.

Last edited:
I like how Grundy has gone from the best thing since sliced bread to a dud in 12 months.

Then now being Arguably the Best Player in the AFL

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Wright vs Brodie Grundy

Back