Peter Wright vs Brodie Grundy

Who would you take

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Then now being Arguably the Best Player in the AFL

giphy.gif
Who is arguing he is better than Fyfe or Martin?

I think those two are ahead of the rest. Grundy isn't even the best ruck. Very good player obviously.
Grundy was named as the main ruck in the AA team in 2019, with Gawn on the bench. Grundy had 82 votes in the AFLCA voting in 2019 (6th place) ahead of Gawn on 70 (13th place). Grundy is the best ruck in the competition

Grundy was named as the main ruck in the AA team in 2019, with Gawn on the bench. Grundy had 82 votes in the AFLCA voting in 2019 (6th place) ahead of Gawn on 70 (13th place). Grundy is the best ruck in the competition

Grundy playing in a GF and PF.

Gawn did play in the PF but then played in a team that Finished 2nd Last

Grundy playing in a GF and PF.

Gawn did play in the PF but then played in a team that Finished 2nd Last
I usually don't like rating team success as a metric for individual players, but when Collingwood's team as a whole is struggling, it always seems to be Grundy who carries them over the line. I don't think there's a single player in the entire competition that has such immense impact when they're firing - not even Fyfe, Martin, Cripps or Bont. The only ones I can think that come close at their absolute peak of performance are Nic Nat (whose body is now cooked), Whitfield and maybe Dangerfield

If we're looking at last season alone, sure. However the two are very close based on their head-to-head clashes and career, as I would say apart from last year Gawn has edged Grundy over their careers. Without a doubt these two are the current day Cox and Sandilands though.

And then you have the likes of Stefan Martin (who is very underrated), Naitanui, Goldstein a rung below.

If we're looking at last season alone, sure. However the two are very close based on their head-to-head clashes and career, as I would say apart from last year Gawn has edged Grundy over their careers. Without a doubt these two are the current day Cox and Sandilands though.

And then you have the likes of Stefan Martin (who is very underrated), Naitanui, Goldstein a rung below.
If past mattered, we'd have Ablett and Franklin right up the top, yet no one considers them to be competing for that title of current best player. For rucks, Goldstein has the best career of any currently on a list.

The most recent performance is of course going to be the most relevant since we're discussing who is currently the best player. Prior to 2019, I considered Gawn and Grundy basically dead even, with Gawn having the upper hand before probably the second half of 2019. I'm just confident in saying that right now, Grundy is the better player and I would consider him the best player in the AFL.

If past mattered, we'd have Ablett and Franklin right up the top, yet no one considers them to be competing for that title of current best player. For rucks, Goldstein has the best career of any currently on a list.

The most recent performance is of course going to be the most relevant since we're discussing who is currently the best player. Prior to 2019, I considered Gawn and Grundy basically dead even, with Gawn having the upper hand before probably the second half of 2019. I'm just confident in saying that right now, Grundy is the better player and I would consider him the best player in the AFL.
It's overly simplistic to base it off one year. The past and present both matter, not in equal measure, but they both do.

Of course the most recent form is the most relevant but it's not the only measure. Tom Lynch kicked the 3rd most goals last year, does that mean he's better than every key forward other than Cameron and Ben Brown?

Gawn had a Longer Career so that is no Shock..

Nic Nat been Injured, Martin been good but Grundy beaten him and Goldstein is doing a good job for bing about 32.

Grundy has Destroyed Tim English who said to be the next Great Ruck. I also rate English and I think he will become a Good Ruckman in time like Grundy Did. English might not get to Grundy's Level but he be a Good Ruck for the Dogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am. The top 6 or 7 players are interchangeable tbh, there is no objectively best player, but Grundy is my pick
It's interesting, I think Grundy is in the ball park in that he's a top 10 player, but I'm yet to see him repeatedly turn or win games off his own boot like I have seen Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Franklin do. I just don't see Grundy as a ruckmen as a matchwinner, certainly not to the extent of the others.
Maybe it's a positional thing?

It's interesting, I think Grundy is in the ball park in that he's a top 10 player, but I'm yet to see him repeatedly turn or win games off his own boot like I have seen Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Franklin do. I just don't see Grundy as a ruckmen as a matchwinner, certainly not to the extent of the others.
Maybe it's a positional thing?

IF we did not have Grundy we not been a Top 4 Side or Even Made Finals

IF we did not have Grundy we not been a Top 4 Side or Even Made Finals
No one's denying he's elite. Doesn't really relate to my statement in reference to him and the other players I mentioned though. Ruckman tend not to have the same impact to success as other players. Multiple recent teams have won it all with average ruckman.

No one's denying he's elite. Doesn't really relate to my statement in reference to him and the other players I mentioned though. Ruckman tend not to have the same impact to success as other players. Multiple recent teams have won it all with average ruckman.

Grundy is more the Exception then the Rule.

He is or IF not top 2 Inside Mid as he gets lot of Contested Ball.

You could say no Team is a 1 man team.

Hawks said that after Buddy left then they won the next 3 Flags. So I guess Buddy was not as Important to Hawks then people thought it be

Grundy is more the Exception then the Rule.

He is or IF not top 2 Inside Mid as he gets lot of Contested Ball.
I've got enormous problems with these statements. People see ruckman who get a lot of ball and do a lot of contested work and think they could hold their own as top midfielders if they didn't play ruck. If Grundy wasn't a ruckman he wouldn't be a top midfielder. No ruckman ever is. Hed just be an enormous slow, less agile midfielder. Any half decent midfielder would just burst away from him or kill him on the deck. 200cm 105 kg players just don't have the same biomechanics as smaller guys to play that role as well.

If Grundy for some reason didn't ruck, there'd be plenty of better midfielders than him, faster, more agile, quicker hand to foot, better kicks, more evasive, etc.

Good ruck who gets a lot of ball does not equal as good a midfielder. He wouldn't be near a top 2 inside midfielder.

You could say no Team is a 1 man team.
You just said earlier Collingwood don't make finals without him, which one is it?

Grundy is my favourite Collingwood player, and has been since like 2014. Perfect human. Love him.

I don’t think he’s a top 5 player in the comp, he’s probably in the 8-15 area if I had to make a ranking. Furthermore, I think Gawn is better but only marginally (Gawn uses his height better - he’s a far better contested mark at both ends of the ground and I find his tap work to be more consistent), but they’re both very very good.

Grundy needs to be less predictable in the ruck. In the prelim he had 73 hit outs but few were won to advantage. Fifty times the player Mumford is, he failed to be the difference at stoppages when he was clearly the better player.

He often wins clearances but kicks the balls high into the air, rarely giving our men the marking advantage. Needs to take more time to assess his options. His contested marking has improved tenfold in the last two seasons but you’d like to see it a little more often.

If he can improve on those, he‘ll be in Dean Cox territory as possibly the best ruck of the modern era.

Grundy is my favourite Collingwood player, and has been since like 2014. Perfect human. Love him.

I don’t think he’s a top 5 player in the comp, he’s probably in the 8-15 area if I had to make a ranking. Furthermore, I think Gawn is better but only marginally (Gawn uses his height better - he’s a far better contested mark at both ends of the ground and I find his tap work to be more consistent), but they’re both very very good.

Grundy needs to be less predictable in the ruck. In the prelim he had 73 hit outs but few were won to advantage. Fifty times the player Mumford is, he failed to be the difference at stoppages when he was clearly the better player.

He often wins clearances but kicks the balls high into the air, rarely giving our men the marking advantage. Needs to take more time to assess his options. His contested marking has improved tenfold in the last two seasons but you’d like to see it a little more often.

If he can improve on those, he‘ll be in Dean Cox territory as possibly the best ruck of the modern era.

I thought Grundy showed Big Improvement in his Tap Work in RD 1 vs the Dogs. Gawn rests in the Backline when Grundy has only just Rucked and not been Rested Forward or Back. Though again in RD 1 he did well up Forward. Kicked 1 but could easily had 3 Goals.

It's just not Grundy's Fault that the Mids can't take Advantage of his Tapwork

It's just not Grundy's Fault that the Mids can't take Advantage of his Tapwork
Really? Pies would have easily a top 4 calibre midfield group, potentially top 2. If they can't take advantage of it which teams could?
I think that's a little rose coloured view of Grundy to put the blame on the midfielders.

For example Natanui isn't the player Grundy is, but his hitouts and ruckwork are sublime. The great tap ruckman are obvious.

And I love Grundy, but he's not impervious to criticism.

Many people shout me down for this but purely as a technician at the stoppage, Grundy would be outside the top 5 in the league fairly comfortably, despite being really really good at everything else. It's made up for Collingwood's top 4 midfield.

As far as technicians at a stoppage go I'd have all of Witts, Gawn, Naitanui, Bellchambers, Ryder, Goldstein, Lycett and Naismith comfortably ahead, the first 6 especially so.
Really? Pies would have easily a top 4 calibre midfield group, potentially top 2. If they can't take advantage of it which teams could?
I think that's a little rose coloured view of Grundy to put the blame on the midfielders.

For example Natanui isn't the player Grundy is, but his hitouts and ruckwork are sublime. The great tap ruckman are obvious.

And I love Grundy, but he's not impervious to criticism.
Exactly. If anything Collingwood's excellent midfield makes up for Grundy's lack of fantastic tap work.

Wright. Grundy's no good.

I know this is 6 years old but it's just brilliant.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'll bet this poster would like to take this one back.

Mind you, I once called for Clarko to be sacked (in 2010 we were 1-6).

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Wright vs Brodie Grundy

Back