Camnstell

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
In a house
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
No need to shout
Very pumped about this people so I thought I'd share a little story....

Took my 4 year old son to his first Hawks game against the Dee's in Round 2. He had a great time, we won the game and he got a Hawks showbag at the Auskick area they had set up before the game. Get home, Hawks stickers on his window, 2011 team photo and another with him with Buddy, Hodgey, Sammy & Burgs on a footy record now proudly stuck on his bedroom wall. Congrats to the AFL for the great initiative there was a heap of kids there who all really enjoyed the activities but I digress.

Last night I get home and he runs to the door "Daddy I've got my favourite movie on! Come watch with me!!!" I bregudgingly head to the lounge room expecting to see Cars, Ben 10 or bloody Finding Nemo for the 300th time but no - the boy has put on the 2008 Grand Final "Look Daddy the Hawks movie, there's Buddy, there's Hodgey its my best movie":thumbsu:

Beer in hand, warm and fuzzy inside I watched the game with my son. He's only turned 4 a few weeks ago but my work as a parent is clearly done.

A very Proud Father Moment......:D

Re: Pfm

That is just outstanding! Both my kids (ages 4 & 6), on a daily basis, say "we love the Hawks but we hate the Bombers". I haven't been drumming it in to them since birth or anything ;)

I had to reach for the tissues. Beautiful story.
Really tugs at the heart string (i only have one) when the little ones profess their love for the Hawks.

These are the memories they will keep forever. Good luck to any evil relative or friend trying to persaude them to change allegiances.

That was fantastic the kids area. My two had a ball.
I reccomend that everyone get to home games early to give their kids a run around before watching the big game.

great work, obviously your son has been indoctrinated properly :)

Its a proud moment when you hear your child start a hawks game instead of cartoons at 6:30am on a Saturday morning...

Well done Camnstell !!

Great story ... Hawthorn 2008 ... the Motion Picture !!

applause01.gif

living in Perth my 8 year old says She hates the Dockers and Eagles......

The 16 year old who is at Trinity often asks his footy coach when will his school deliver the next Luke Hodge or Buddy to the Hawks.

The eldest - lets not even mention or think that he exists in a footy sense. Damn that Sam Newman when my father died and he talked about my dads love of the Geelong Football Club......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love it. Great story Camnstell.

My four year old's first game was that Dees game too.

My mum lives near Kilmore and has some cows. A day or two after the game one of them gave birth even though no-one knew she was pregnant. There was lots of talk about immaculate conception, god and holiness, etc.

My son says:

Is the calf like Holy Rioli?

Calf now has a name.

That is just outstanding! Both my kids (ages 4 & 6), on a daily basis, say "we love the Hawks but we hate the Bombers". I haven't been drumming it in to them since birth or anything ;)

:thumbsu:My two daughters have been taught the same lessons Cam975. They call them the Stinkin Bombers!! It's great isn't it?

Great story Camnstell, gotta love that Movie, certainly one of my favourites too. Your boy has great taste in Films!

I don't think your work is done, kids are a fickle breed. I convinced my mates son to swap from Fremantle to the Eagles so you should probably keep working the Hawks angle till he's about 10.

Funny... I took my 4YO to the Dees for his first game as well! Gotta say, we sat next to the Dees cheersquad, and they, and the crowd around us, deserve congrats for the way they conducted themselves. I remember thinking after the game that i couldn't recall any bad behaviour or language the entire game. Or maybe i couldn't hear them over my own voice!

Depending on which Grandparent my kids see - it's Hawks Up:thumbsu:....Bombers (insert Saints/Magpies) down:thumbsdown:

PFM Football related:

My 18 month old daughter has recognised Hawthorn on the TV or on her merchandise for maybe 6 months now.... "Oarks!" accompanied with a pointing finger. :)

In terms of indoctrination she's already a 2nd year member and has attended 4-6 games and a couple of pre game meets ups at the London as well as a Family day. Once she's old enough to kick the footy and ask for autographs I'm pretty sure my job will be complete. :thumbsu:

PFM Non Football:

Shes always been a talker, but the other day at 18 months we were absolutely gobsmacked to hear her counting from 1 - 10 unaided and unprompted. <:heart:proud dad emoticon :heart:>

I couldn't remember any lullabies when my daughter was born, so started singing the Hawks song to her every night, sound of the voice and all that.

She's 9 now, I think I've only missed 3 or 4 nights per year. So my advice is sing the song to your kids every night, 3000+ times should do the trick :thumbsu:

My 3 year old daughter was playing in her room last week making a bit of noise, so I went in to see what she was up too. To my suprise she had all of 2011 Hawks Memember scarves on the floor and 2 Barbies who where kicking around a miniture footy.

Guess what the Barbies names were:

Buddy and Cyril :D

I couldn't remember any lullabies when my daughter was born, so started singing the Hawks song to her every night, sound of the voice and all that.

One of my young 'ons would sing lullabies - Bar bar black sheep, twinkle twinkle, We're a Happy Team, Mary Had a little lamb....

Both my boys were Jan babies and both made round 1 that year! Hardly missed a home game since. :thumbsu:

One of my young 'ons would sing lullabies - Bar bar black sheep, twinkle twinkle, We're a Happy Team, Mary Had a little lamb....

Both my boys were Jan babies and both made round 1 that year! Hardly missed a home game since. :thumbsu:

Great OP - this one caught my eye

Had my own PFM a few months back when i was bathing my 2 boys (2 & few months)

I was singing Twinkle twinkle or something along those lines - and my eldest stops me and says "stop singing dad, sing we're the eagles"

We sang it about 5 times during that bath* - everyone was smiling, including the bub !

* once more than all of last year put together.

Remove this Banner Ad

PFM: Proud Father Moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back