#PhenoMedia: Sweet B.A. - A Basketball Proposal

Remove this Banner Ad

Sweet BA Provisional Logo.png
(If someone who's better at designing logos than me is reading, please help. This provisional logo is up there with my Dragons rebrand.)

For far too long, cricket has terrorised the Sweet summer.

For far too long, we've suffered those horrifying words of "oh, marvelous effort, that" and "superb hit, that".

And now, it seems that The Filth Wizard has made the first blatant error of his Administrationship by reviving the BFFCL under the Sweet umbrella.

To that I say...

...yeah, fair enough.

I'm not going to stop the joy that cricket apparently brings to the wider Sweet patronage.

Also akkaps is clearly very passionate about keeping a cricsim comp going, and I can't fault him for that.

But I'm here to pitch an alternative.

A sport that only takes 40-to-48 minutes (not counting stoppage time) to play instead of 2-to-5 days.

A sport without the need for ridiculous position names like Silly Mid-Offs or Fine Legs.

A sport that only needs a ball and a couple of hoops.

No, no, not netball.

Basketball.

Now, there are a few hurdles to running a Sweet Basketball comp.

Mainly the fact that I haven't been able to find a suitable sim program to run the comp.

If you spend way too much time plumbing the archives of the SFA, you might remember that I already did a "Lightning Basketball" comp all the way back in 2017, but that was simmed using a management game. It was absolute hell trying to get that running smoothly for that comp, and I'd rather not go through that again if this gets up.

That said, if anyone's got an appropriate sim, I'm more than happy to cede simming duties over to that poster. Or we can build a simming team. Whatever works best.

Also, again, the Sweet Cricket Association is probably of a higher priority in terms of interest atm.

But hey, a Hardy Boy can dream...​

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

View attachment 2092879
(If someone who's better at designing logos than me is reading, please help. This provisional logo is up there with my Dragons rebrand.)

For far too long, cricket has terrorised the Sweet summer.

For far too long, we've suffered those horrifying words of "oh, marvelous effort, that" and "superb hit, that".

And now, it seems that The Filth Wizard has made the first blatant error of his Administrationship by reviving the BFFCL under the Sweet umbrella.

To that I say...

...yeah, fair enough.

I'm not going to stop the joy that cricket apparently brings to the wider Sweet patronage.

Also akkaps is clearly very passionate about keeping a cricsim comp going, and I can't fault him for that.

But I'm here to pitch an alternative.

A sport that only takes 40-to-48 minutes (not counting stoppage time) to play instead of 2-to-5 days.

A sport without the need for ridiculous position names like Silly Mid-Offs or Fine Legs.

A sport that only needs a ball and a couple of hoops.

No, no, not netball.

Basketball.

Now, there are a few hurdles to running a Sweet Basketball comp.

Mainly the fact that I haven't been able to find a suitable sim program to run the comp.

If you spend way too much time plumbing the archives of the SFA, you might remember that I already did a "Lightning Basketball" comp all the way back in 2017, but that was simmed using a management game. It was absolute hell trying to get that running smoothly for that comp, and I'd rather not go through that again if this gets up.

That said, if anyone's got an appropriate sim, I'm more than happy to cede simming duties over to that poster. Or we can build a simming team. Whatever works best.

Also, again, the Sweet Cricket Association is probably of a higher priority in terms of interest atm.

But hey, a Hardy Boy can dream...​
As long as we can bring back the Tigers and I don't get laughed at for saying the NBL is "watchable", I'm all for it.
While we’re at it, if anyone has an NFL sim this would be good to start up also
1724672244949.png

In 1996 I got this far into a lawn bowls sim before losing interest:

CLS

RANDOMIZE TIMER
J = INT(RND(1) * 20 + 1) + 57

H = 1 ' HORIZONTAL POSITION
V = 10 ' VERTICAL POSITION
A = 0 ' ANGLE
B = 0 ' BIAS
S = 0 ' SPEED

LOCATE 10, J
PRINT CHR$(4)

LOCATE V, H
PRINT CHR$(79)

FOR Ditch% = 2 TO 20
LOCATE Ditch%, 79
PRINT "|"
NEXT

LOCATE 20, 1
INPUT "ANGLE (-5 to 5) : "; A: A = A * 50
INPUT "SPEED (1 to 12) : "; S: S = S / 2 + 4
INPUT "BIAS (-5 to 5) : "; B: B = B / 2

Bowl:
IF S <= 0 THEN GOTO Stopped

LOCATE V, H
PRINT " "
V = V + (A / 500)
H = H + S / 5
A = A + (B * 3)
S = S - ((11 - S) / 10) / 5

IF V < 1 OR V > 22 THEN GOTO Stopped
IF H < 1 OR H > 78 THEN GOTO Stopped

LOCATE 20, 30: PRINT A; " "; TAB(40); V
LOCATE 21, 30: PRINT S; " "; TAB(40); H
LOCATE 22, 30: PRINT B; " ";
LOCATE V, H
PRINT CHR$(79)

FOR Waiting% = 1 TO 3000
NEXT
GOTO Bowl

Stopped:
BEEP
LOCATE 23, 20
PRINT "PRESS A KEY TO RETRY ..."
WHILE INKEY$ = ""
WEND
RUN

While we've gone with a revamped Qricket league with the summer off season coming up and have a grounding being able to move an existing league across there was early talk of other sports (I even saw horse racing come up which let's be honest could probably see some of us indicted). This is the sort of thing The Club Room is for, non-qooty games and anybody is free to run these there. If they really kick off then I or any future admin I expect would be glad to see how we could grow it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alrighty, so:

At the moment we have just enough interest for a starting 5 and half a minimum bench. We may have to get a draft going, or just spam in the team & SFA Cricket threads to recruit more people.

In terms of a usable sim, I may end up going back to the Fast Break Pro Basketball well, and hopefully I can iron out any kinks in terms of getting the sim to stop trading players before the first game.

Fingers crossed that there's going to be something workable over summer.

At the moment we have just enough interest for a starting 5 and half a minimum bench. We may have to get a draft going, or just spam in the team & SFA Cricket threads to recruit more people.
Spam the cricket to recruit then draft ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

#PhenoMedia: Sweet B.A. - A Basketball Proposal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back