Games & Recreation Photography: Who's into it what Camera and Lens do you have and show us some of pictures thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Went out friday night for a bit of soul searching and photography. The location was a lookout between the two towns of Walker Flat and Wongulla on the River Murray. Crystal clear night and awe inspiring, if only I could get these damn stars in focus better. Also forgot my torch to brighten the foreground up a bit.

View attachment 105505 View attachment 105506 View attachment 105507 View attachment 105508
Great shots. Couple of ways I learned to focus was to either auto focus on something distant and then switch over to manual. Or focus on the moon and then set up. Those are the easiest ways I've found to get the stars in focus.

Great shots. Couple of ways I learned to focus was to either auto focus on something distant and then switch over to manual. Or focus on the moon and then set up. Those are the easiest ways I've found to get the stars in focus.
Yeah I use live view to focus on a star, I then zoom on the screen but it is still difficult. I imagine in the process of moving from one spot to another I am inadvertently touching the focus ring.

I'm currently undergoing the huge job of getting all my albums onto Flickr.. Here's a few randoms that I've already loaded:
15652394650_65c3e3faa1_c.jpg

15212168863_730f5e135e_c.jpg

15848321552_92bdba061a_c.jpg

15660834088_016af81130_c.jpg

15660340278_c3a8e9873e_c.jpg

15662090767_69db6e0fc4_c.jpg

15822032866_e66e09e484_c.jpg

15847238172_d15d56a72a_c.jpg

15847874085_9047949819_c.jpg
these photos are amazing, very talented photographer.

Need to back into photography. Just did a short course to refresh the basic skills.

Upgraded from Nikon D3100 to 5300, money always a good motivator to get back into it I figure.....can anyone recommend some basic filters? Is it a case of you get what you paid for?...

Nice pics btw too guys :thumbsu:, been ages since ive visited the thread.

Another question if theres anyone out there too, any good value tripods around the $100-150 mark?

Looking at other forums, sounds like a lot of people are forking out upwards of 500-700 bucks. I'll never get that past the treasurer.

Another question if theres anyone out there too, any good value tripods around the $100-150 mark?

Looking at other forums, sounds like a lot of people are forking out upwards of 500-700 bucks. I'll never get that past the treasurer.
I've seen them once before at Aldi for $120 if I remember, and I didn't grab it but I generally figure it wouldn't be bad condition considering Aldi has some alright stuff. Keep an eye out, can't remember brand or anything.

Can anyone point me in some free resources/online courses for a beginner?

Have really started to think about doing some sort of course for me to get into the basics of photography.

Last edited:

Speaking from experience, poor quality tripods are worthless, you're much better off better waiting until you can afford it and getting a good manfrotto or gitzo - then you'll have a good tripod that will last a lifetime.

There may be some decent Chinese tripods out there now but I haven't researched it.

Speaking from experience, poor quality tripods are worthless, you're much better off better waiting until you can afford it and getting a good manfrotto or gitzo - then you'll have a good tripod that will last a lifetime.

There may be some decent Chinese tripods out there now but I haven't researched it.

All good, ended up going with a Benro IT25, very happy with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Games & Recreation Photography: Who's into it what Camera and Lens do you have and show us some of pictures thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back