Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watching Curtain against Peel, if North dont take him with what their list desperately needs then they just have no interest winning games of football
I dont think you address list needs with early picks. Those sort of decisions are what results in McCartin over Petracca because the Saints were desperate for a key forward.

I dont think you address list needs with early picks. Those sort of decisions are what results in McCartin over Petracca because the Saints were desperate for a key forward.
Curtain is elite anyway and any decision on ability is going to be 50/50 there and there are definitely exceptions where list needs starts to matter. North have done close to nothing but draft elite midfield talent this whole rebuild. They have to take Curtain assuming they have 2 and 3

Last edited:
Watching Curtain against Peel, if North dont take him with what their list desperately needs then they just have no interest winning games of football
I mean, we definitely want him.

15th and 16th both beat 18th by 100 points. It now turns to pity for whoever goes Pick 1.

Maybe Reid will reconsider his willingness to go west.

Eagles fans still think its not worth splitting the pick to go for more elite talent ?
Nah we’ll still take Reid thanks

15th and 16th both beat 18th by 100 points. It now turns to pity for whoever goes Pick 1.

Eagles fans still think its not worth splitting the pick to go for more elite talent ?
Nope.

What 'talent' would you suggest?

How do you know Curtin won't get 'homesick' after ending up at North, a club that doesn't want to win?

Nope

As we pointed out to you repeatedly, the midfield needs bolstering.

Missing out on Reid or Mckercher doesn't help the problem.

Curtin is not the answer, or anything past the first few picks in this draft as its not a strong midfield pool this year.

All tonight's result does is confirm that we are stone cold montys for pick 1 for anyone that for whatever crazy reason had doubts

Reid's coming west he may as well start packing

All tonight's result does is confirm that we are stone cold montys for pick 1 for anyone that for whatever crazy reason had doubts

Reid's coming west he may as well start packing

Im not sure there was ever doubt. Roos certainly look like they are tanking. Eagles arent.

So Eagles go for Reid and whoever is the next best mid at pick 20 (or who knows where after all the AFL meddling for the Roos).

Does that even cover the retiring talent ?

Teams that are serious about rebuilding have generally gone for multiple picks in the 1st round.

Do they try and maybe wrangle multiple future picks instead ?

Hey Eagles you seen Paddy Dow lately?

Straight swap for Pick 1? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure there was ever doubt. Roos certainly look like they are tanking. Eagles arent.

So Eagles go for Reid and whoever is the next best mid at pick 20 (or who knows where after all the AFL meddling for the Roos).

Teams that are serious about rebuilding have generally gone for multiple picks in the 1st round.

Have in the previous 2 drafts. Now need the best they can get.

I'm sure we've been through this but we do have other picks already without trading 1. It will be Reid and another 4 or so picks this draft, plus possibly another couple of academy guys.

There's zero reason to trade 1 unless a ridiculous offer comes in. It's been that way all season and nothing's changed

I'm sure we've been through this but we do have other picks already without trading 1. It will be Reid and another 4 or so picks this draft, plus possibly another couple of academy guys.

There's zero reason to trade 1 unless a ridiculous offer comes in. It's been that way all season and nothing's changed

Oh its been said many times but I just wonder if the combo of Curtin and Duursma (or another top 5 or 6 pick) is worth more than just Reid.

I say this think Duursma may be great for the Hawks so its not just salivating over Reid.

Oh its been said many times but I just wonder if the combo of Curtin and Duursma (or another top 5 or 6 pick) is worth more than just Reid.

I say this think Duursma may be great for the Hawks so its not just salivating over Reid.
Duursma and Curtin don't address the biggest problem on the list, winning stoppages.

I've no doubt both will be fine players.

Eagles have a lot of issues but by far the biggest is winning stoppages.

This is why Reid makes way more sense than splitting/anyone else in the top 10.

None of those players in the top 10 address WCE's biggest weakness, Reid does and he's extremely good at it. He also just happens to be best available and suits a need.

That'll give us a first choice starting midfield of Ginbey, Hewett and Reid, who are all extremely good in the contest.

At present, our best inside mid is Kelly, whose best position is as a receiver. He's been able to adapt his game to play inside but it's not his best position.

Gaff and Sheed are useless as inside mids.

Yeo is perma-injured when he plays mid, otherwise he'd be the first choice but he's also in the twilight of his career.

Shuey is done.

WCE have emphasized drafting midfielders, both inside and outside, since the 2021 draft, where they took Luke Edwards and Isiah Winder(mids) in the ND and Zane Trew in the RD.

Then, in 2021 they took Connor West in the MSD, Campbell Chesser, Brady Hough and Greg Clark in the ND.

In 2022, WCE took Jai Culley in the MSD, then follow up with Ginbey, Hewett and Long in the ND.

So that's11 developing mids taken in 2 years. Of that lot, I expect Clark, West, Winder & Trew to be bumped off the list, leaving 7(Long more forward/mid but was a mid before his injury in his draft year).

Not all of those remaining 7 will make it obviously, but the ones I expect to be on the list next year are all first/second year players currently, other than Edwards who's a third year. Adding Reid to that mix will(hopefully) plug that last hole of the issue with the stoppages and allow the club to focus on fleshing out the rest of the future best 22.

Splitting pick 1 for a forward and KPD does neither of those things and WCE will still have the stoppage issue to address in next year's draft, which is heavily compromised and full of Vic Metro kids at the pointy end.

Last edited:
West Coast seem to be following a philosophy of focusing on the draft while we’re down, as evidenced by the last couple of trade / draft periods and not ignoring generational talent if it presents along the way going by their thoughts on Harley Reid so far.

Its a pretty radical philosophy I know but it’s one I fully endorse.

Who says no?

Assuming North get pick 3 for McKay.

North trade pick 2 & 3
Gain pick 1 and Flanders
Draft Reid

WC trade pick 1
Gain pick 3, 5 and Sharp
Draft (bid on Walter) Curtin and Duursma

GC trade pick 5, Flanders and Sharp
Gain pick 2
Draft McKercher
Sharp?

I read somewhere that he's happy where he is.

Who says no?

North trade pick 2 & 3
Gain pick 1 and Flanders
Draft Reid

WC trade pick 1
Gain pick 3, 5 and Sharp

Gain pick 2
Draft McKercher
The trade looks well balanced but we would hopefully say no. We don't need another two midfielders; we really need to take some talls.

I'd rather swap pick 2 for what GC are giving up and use 3 and 5 to take Curtain and O'Sullivan/Caddy.

Last edited:
Who says no?

North trade pick 2 & 3
Gain pick 1 and Flanders
Draft Reid

WC trade pick 1
Gain pick 3, 5 and Sharp

Gain pick 2
Draft McKercher
The issue with suns getting 2 is that they cant be sure Walter isnt bid on at 1 until draft time. Unless North agreed to that

Also think WCE would need pick 2 to assure Curtain, suns would have a seriously good look at him imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back