Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

The concern with Georgiades he has to address is playing as part of a cohesive forward structure.

He is a natural forward and as a traditional old-time go-to full forward would do a lot of damage. He leads well, marks strongly and can take contested grabs.

But we are no longer in the old times, the forward line is a dynamic construction of complementary moving parts. Too often playing as a second or third tall, Georgie will fly against Dixon or Marshall looking for the speccie. It's like Bazball, it looks great when it comes off in the one in ten attempts, but creates chaos when it doesn't.

That's what Lord had over him when he was in the team. He's not the natural athlete that Georgie is, but he knew his role and was willing to sacrifice his game to improve Dixon and/or Marshall. And when his turn came, he was there for the contest and he takes footy smart options. Plus he has the size and aggression to hand out some of the off the ball physical stuff.

I hope Georgie stays, he could be a really damaging part of our forward line. He has natural forward skills and he is a scary match up. But he has to park the ego, and play a team game and not expect to be an automatic selection until he has shown his team first approach.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

By the time Mitch is back to his best from his ACL, Dixon will probably be gone. Just needs some patience.

The 'reluctant to go back to WA' bit is good for us though. If he goes to a Vic club we'll at least get something for him. If he nominates West Coast we'll get a half eaten sandwich.

If its true he wants a guaranteed spot in the 22 it comes across poorly and quite entitled. Surely he can see Dixon’s days are numbered. I do think Georgie would do a lot better with the current space in our forward line.

DIALOGUE continues over a deal for Mitch Georgiades as the Port Adelaide forward considers his contract call.
Georgiades had his season ended in April when he went down with a torn ACL, throwing his future into uncertainty as he remained out of contract.
It came after he had played the opening two games of Port Adelaide's season before being omitted from the side. The injury had meant a decision from the 21-year-old and 2019 first-round draft pick on his future was pushed back as he weighs the opportunities at AFL level.

football Logic says he will stay for 2 years, but as others have eloquently said he he needs to be more team forward orientated and be able to apply a bit of forward pressure. The time off might give reflect thinking time as the club/coaches would have been up front why dropped.

DIALOGUE continues over a deal for Mitch Georgiades as the Port Adelaide forward considers his contract call.
Georgiades had his season ended in April when he went down with a torn ACL, throwing his future into uncertainty as he remained out of contract.
It came after he had played the opening two games of Port Adelaide's season before being omitted from the side. The injury had meant a decision from the 21-year-old and 2019 first-round draft pick on his future was pushed back as he weighs the opportunities at AFL level.
Continued dialogue sounds like he might sign.

No need to fake it if he's not going to as he can easily avoid media attention and interviews while rehabbing.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

4 seasons in there's bound to be teething problems as players develop and are competing for spots with players in other stages of careers. Age-wise he's now in the middle of our 3 young key forwards that we'll end up building around, while also having to compete with Jez and Dizon who are older and in different stages themselves as well. This is also exacerbated by the fact that we've been contending (or something like that) for 3 of those 4 years so in theory we shouldn't be carrying any bystanders and spots should be hard to come by.
You can imagine he'd be frustrated about the fact he can't develop at AFL level while out with an ACL, as well as the fact he was dropped beforehand anyway so oppo clubs would love to pounce on a talented player in that situation with the promise of more game time. He's got time on his side so they don't even need to be a good club now for him to be in the premiership window at age 30, plus they can promise more game time which could even make him better in the long run.
I don't know though, I trust the culture and the system at Port enough for him to stay. It's probably one of the better environments in the league and seems to be a positive place to be where the group is pretty tight knit. You don't seem to see a whole heap of off-field discretions from players and we don't have a retention problem. Miles was probably a higher flight risk and he ended up re-signing so I can see it happening here too.

Who wins their next premiership first - us or West Coast? As bad as the Eagles are right now, I’d still put money on them. That might inform Georgiades’ thinking.
Depends on a few factors;

If we keep Hinkley we won’t be winning a flag anytime soon.

If we appoint Carr and recruit well (get Rategolea, Grundy and a maybe a small forward) id feel confident about next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who wins their next premiership first - us or West Coast? As bad as the Eagles are right now, I’d still put money on them. That might inform Georgiades’ thinking.
I doubt West Coast win a flag again in Georgiades' career. Their list is dogshit.

West coast will win a flag before port
They might, but they still won't win one in Georgiades' career. I doubt a single player on their list right now will play in a flag for them. They're that far off.

No no no. They are royally in a deep hole and it will take them years to get out.
AFL media is always dramatic hyperbole, they will be a mid team soon enough. Even us bottomed out only for two years in a compromised draft. Choco stuffed up 08-10 and should have bottomed us out sooner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back