Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Not yet, but I still doubt he plays 50 AFL games. Do you still think Billy Frampton is better than Dixon?
charlie is massively overrated, thats not to say he's not a good player but i personally think he would be better as the starting ruck as he's seems to influence games more in the ruck than as a forward over the past 3 years. If i were Port right now i'd leave lycett in the magoos and go with Charlie and JF as your rucks with Charlie doing 70 percent of the ruck. Just my opinion and if your in trouble you can always move charlie up forward anytime

charlie is massively overrated, thats not to say he's not a good player but i personally think he would be better as the starting ruck as he's seems to influence games more in the ruck than as a forward over the past 3 years. If i were Port right now i'd leave lycett in the magoos and go with Charlie and JF as your rucks with Charlie doing 70 percent of the ruck. Just my opinion and if your in trouble you can always move charlie up forward anytime

I'm as quick to bag Lycett as anyone but he has been absolutely stellar since coming back in and is as important a player as we have at present. Charlie is doing a job personally wouldn't change our forward set up unless we start dropping games.

Charlie is a good ruck, better than Lycett IMO, but his knees and ankles will disintegrate if he has to ruck full-time. As a forward, he is a scary proposition for oppo teams, so he draws their best defender, often two. This then allows our other talls in Marshall, Lord, Finlayson, and/or Georgiades to be more damaging. Dixon doesnt actually have to have a big score to be super effective in a game anymore.

Who does he replace in our best 22?

That is really the question for me and it is the question he would currently be asking himself. He is not ahead of Finlayson or Marshall and provided both of those guys continue on I can't see Georgiades going ahead of either of those.

Dixon only has a a few years left but Georgiades does not play the Dixon role and can't play that role at his size. Lord is the heir apparent as the Dixon replacement.

And he doesn't have the ground level skills to play as a half forward or midfielder.

The only way I can see him slotting into the 22 is if he develops the ability to play a more ground level orientated game through drastic improvement in his ball use, awareness and pressure.

Yes, let's make the guy that was hobbling around in the forward line carry the ruck while the ruckman that has turned his form around plays seconds. Another brilliant idea.

Don't blame the player because of shit game plan.

Who does he replace in our best 22?

That is really the question for me and it is the question he would currently be asking himself. He is not ahead of Finlayson or Marshall and provided both of those guys continue on I can't see Georgiades going ahead of either of those.

Dixon only has a a few years left but Georgiades does not play the Dixon role and can't play that role at his size. Lord is the heir apparent as the Dixon replacement.

And he doesn't have the ground level skills to play as a half forward or midfielder.

The only way I can see him slotting into the 22 is if he develops the ability to play a more ground level orientated game through drastic improvement in his ball use, awareness and pressure.

I think you are optimistic that Dixon has only a few years left. If this year is any indication he may get through next year.

Do we really need a Dixon replacement? We have a team full of young players who are elite kicks particularly in the midfield. Would you rather an elite marking forward like Georgiades providing another option up forward, or are we going to encourage a new generation to bomb it to Lord?

Both players are 21 years old. Very young in KPF terms, yet it seems you are assuming that Lord will become a forward worthy to fill Dixon's shoes, and that Georgiades all round skill levels won't improve by themselves, especially when he gets over his kicking yips. He has played all but 2 of his AFL games under the age of 21, tasked to play as a marking forward don't forget. He might still have some improvement to his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you are optimistic that Dixon has only a few years left. If this year is any indication he may get through next year.

Do we really need a Dixon replacement? We have a team full of young players who are elite kicks particularly in the midfield. Would you rather an elite marking forward like Georgiades providing another option up forward, or are we going to encourage a new generation to bomb it to Lord?

Both players are 21 years old. Very young in KPF terms, yet it seems you are assuming that Lord will become a forward worthy to fill Dixon's shoes, and that Georgiades all round skill levels won't improve by themselves, especially when he gets over his kicking yips. He has played all but 2 of his AFL games under the age of 21, tasked to play as a marking forward don't forget. He might still have some improvement to his game.

Height matters. 6'3 KPF's are likely to develop quicker than 6'6+ ones. Lord has shown some very good football IQ/ability (even if only in spurts). His aerial presence is obvious, but in his first game he both 1) deliberately spoiled from an almost impossible position to a teammate for a GA, and 2) took a half volley and diving forward handball for another GA. Lord is a stronger Mark and a better field kick, so he is a better chance of being a roaming CHF. Even when Georgiades was a dead eye, he was pretty average outside of 40m because he has a maximum 50m leg. For mine that is where the inaccuracy becoming a problem is a 'big' problem. Lord being a gorilla KPF like Tredrea/Dixon means he can have a decent influence on the game without kicking one himself. His rucking ability also seems to be handy given we keep on f'ing over developing ruckman. I'd rather have Lord rucking 2n and Finlayson a permanent forward. I am genuinely gobsmacked by how much Finlayson gets away with in the ruck and he's an umpiring change away from being useless whereas Lord can actually out tap half decent ruckman.

Someone has said it, I think in this thread but I couldn't find it, that it would be great to see a fit Georgiades with the new 12 and zip Port Adelaide with Marshall and Finlayson up the ground and that ball coming in off our mids and dfenders with the sweet boots. I think he would kill it.

Height matters. 6'3 KPF's are likely to develop quicker than 6'6+ ones. Lord has shown some very good football IQ/ability (even if only in spurts). His aerial presence is obvious, but in his first game he both 1) deliberately spoiled from an almost impossible position to a teammate for a GA, and 2) took a half volley and diving forward handball for another GA. Lord is a stronger Mark and a better field kick, so he is a better chance of being a roaming CHF. Even when Georgiades was a dead eye, he was pretty average outside of 40m because he has a maximum 50m leg. For mine that is where the inaccuracy becoming a problem is a 'big' problem. Lord being a gorilla KPF like Tredrea/Dixon means he can have a decent influence on the game without kicking one himself. His rucking ability also seems to be handy given we keep on f'ing over developing ruckman. I'd rather have Lord rucking 2n and Finlayson a permanent forward. I am genuinely gobsmacked by how much Finlayson gets away with in the ruck and he's an umpiring change away from being useless whereas Lord can actually out tap half decent ruckman.
So we go with Lord over Mitch (meaing there is no place for Mitch in our first 22 I assume) because Lord is potentially a better 2nd ruck than Finlayson and can have an impact at CHF without kicking a score.

Bewdy.

In what world has Lord proven to be a stronger mark than Georgiades? That statement alone casts a shadow over the rest of your statements about Lord and Mitch. Which of Ollie's 4 contested marks proved he was a stronger mark than Mitch? Or was it all the Carey like grabs he was taking in the SANFL?

It feels like Mitch just needs a good run at it. Once he gets his confidence up, and has played another 30-40 or so AFL games, he will be at another level. He is an AFL player no doubt.

Just remember how everyone got stuck into Marshall in his development years.

Georgi has everything going for him. Athletic. Big tank. Big jump. Played AFL games. Once he has a man’s body, and some mental maturity he is gonna carve it up.

Re: Lord vs Georgi discussion - nah - Finlayson (and probably a 100 game Georgi) will be flexible enough to play in other positions. Things change too much in footy. Lord is still 2-3 years away from having a big impact on a game too.

Id prefer to sign Mitch, but also don’t mind if we trade him, but only if it helps fill our immediate need for a key back and/or a ruck.

Perhaps the Crystal ball prediction could be Sean Darcy to Geelong, Georgiades to Fremantle, Esava to Port Adelaide.

It feels like Mitch just needs a good run at it. Once he gets his confidence up, and has played another 30-40 or so AFL games, he will be at another level. He is an AFL player no doubt.

Just remember how everyone got stuck into Marshall in his development years.

Georgi has everything going for him. Athletic. Big tank. Big jump. Played AFL games. Once he has a man’s body, and some mental maturity he is gonna carve it up.

Re: Lord vs Georgi discussion - nah - Finlayson (and probably a 100 game Georgi) will be flexible enough to play in other positions. Things change too much in footy. Lord is still 2-3 years away from having a big impact on a game too.

Id prefer to sign Mitch, but also don’t mind if we trade him, but only if it helps fill our immediate need for a key back and/or a ruck.

Perhaps the Crystal ball prediction could be Sean Darcy to Geelong, Georgiades to Fremantle, Esava to Port Adelaide.

I'd rather just take Sean darcy

So we go with Lord over Mitch (meaing there is no place for Mitch in our first 22 I assume) because Lord is potentially a better 2nd ruck than Finlayson and can have an impact at CHF without kicking a score.

Bewdy.

In what world has Lord proven to be a stronger mark than Georgiades? That statement alone casts a shadow over the rest of your statements about Lord and Mitch. Which of Ollie's 4 contested marks proved he was a stronger mark than Mitch? Or was it all the Carey like grabs he was taking in the SANFL?

Georgiades has gone through periods where he has run under some easy balls, dropped sitters, etc. Lord in the admittedly small sample size has been absolutely imperious in the air. Has forced the ball to ground when completely out of position, has stood up and just gone '**** you, it's mine'. He doesn't need to time jumps and sit on people's heads to take pack mark. We need Lord's kind of playstyle in our side and given the ruck issues, the lack of a gun ruck being available, and Lycett (while surprisingly good this year) is bordering on cooked, and Dixon running around like an 80 year old, we need someone to ruck.

In all likelihood we get a journeyman ruck which may/may not work and there is every chance we play all 4 of Georgiades, Lord, Finlayson, Marshall, with Lord/Finlayson rucking.

At the end of the day, Georgiades isn't going to be available for selection until round 6-8. Lord, having had a shit pre-season this year is going to come out storming. If He leaves, then all this discussion is moot. If he stays, Lord is getting first crack.

Georgiades has gone through periods where he has run under some easy balls, dropped sitters, etc. Lord in the admittedly small sample size has been absolutely imperious in the air. Has forced the ball to ground when completely out of position, has stood up and just gone '* you, it's mine'. He doesn't need to time jumps and sit on people's heads to take pack mark. We need Lord's kind of playstyle in our side and given the ruck issues, the lack of a gun ruck being available, and Lycett (while surprisingly good this year) is bordering on cooked, and Dixon running around like an 80 year old, we need someone to ruck.

In all likelihood we get a journeyman ruck which may/may not work and there is every chance we play all 4 of Georgiades, Lord, Finlayson, Marshall, with Lord/Finlayson rucking.

At the end of the day, Georgiades isn't going to be available for selection until round 6-8. Lord, having had a s**t pre-season this year is going to come out storming. If He leaves, then all this discussion is moot. If he stays, Lord is getting first crack.
I'm a fan of Lord's style, but he's far from proven, he's vying for Charlie's spot next year & beyond not MG's.

At this point Lord will probably only come in if Charlie needs to be managed.

I suspect Dixon has got no than 1 more season left in him at the most and 2024 will see him out, but it wouldn't surprise me greatly if we do snare the holy grail this season that he gave it away this year.

As for comparisons between Georgiadis and Lord there is no actual comparison apart from they are both tallish forwards, the former is the floater who can take the occasional speccy and kick the team lifting sausage roll but who will often drift in and out of games, and the latter has shown glimpses of being the gorilla type replacement for Dixon who could eventually become a key member of the forward line with his ability to create space and scoring opportunities for others, so I'm not in favour of trading away either of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back