Pick 19...James Strauss

Remove this Banner Ad

Great pick up! Was so nervous, just hoping he would slip through to us!!!

I dont think we have put a foot wrong today.

Would only be a speculating but Swifts knees may have been a concern. Strauss is a nice sized mid-fielder with great skills. Looks to be the safer bet. Since we have Blease I am happy with that pick

Really like what I've seen of Strauss so far. His kicking style/accuracy reminds me of TJ (hopefully his work ethic and decision making are better) and he's the type of player that always looks to have time from what I've seen. Would have liked a KPP here (McKernan or Trengove would have been great), but on the whole I'm happy with this selection.

Really like what I've seen of Strauss so far. His kicking style/accuracy reminds me of TJ (hopefully his work ethic and decision making are better) and he's the type of player that always looks to have time from what I've seen. Would have liked a KPP here (McKernan or Trengove would have been great), but on the whole I'm happy with this selection.

I was unhappy not taking a Trengrove but after reading about the surgey he had earlier this year it was a risk selecting him and Mckernan is an in between player nor here nor there.

Schoenmarkers at 17 would of been ideal and Blease at 19 would of been perfect for us but happy with Strauss.

I was unhappy not taking a Trengrove but after reading about the surgey he had earlier this year it was a risk selecting him and Mckernan is an in between player nor here nor there.

Schoenmarkers at 17 would of been ideal and Blease at 19 would of been perfect for us but happy with Strauss.

Trengove got the tick of approval medically early last week. While he'll likely end up a defender in the long run, I think he would have been well worth any risk at pick 19.

I disagree on McKernan. He doesn't have a position yet, but I see him ending up a strong marking CHF who's rucking ability will be very handy in the forward line as well as for bursts on the ball. He and Watts would have complimented eachother well IMO, but as I said I'm just as happy for Strauss to be delivering it lace out to Watts for the next 10 years.

Schoenmakers would have been good (at 19... no way I'd have given up a shot at Blease for him), but as it turns out was never a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the Vic Metro game for Sam Blease made me really excited at our pick 17 choice. The way he tackled that WA boy at CHB and caused the turnover, then kept running to CFF and kick a fantastic goal just gave me goosebumps.

He looked like to number one draft pick in the footage !!!

Am really rapt with our picks.

I noticed that too! I would think he would get a fair bit of game time - has a beautiful kick and plays all over the ground. Reckon hes a chance to start round one?

Probably competing with Wheatley for a position in the team, I'd think he'd be in, but he probably won't...

Probably competing with Wheatley for a position in the team, I'd think he'd be in, but he probably won't...

If it comes down to a choice between Wheats and Strauss, i'm backing the match committee will pick Strauss. I reckon Strauss will play a fair bit in the seniors next year, moreso than the other boys we drafted...

Well i doubt he will get in then. Whilst wheatley mainly gets cheap outside kicks, the amount of ball he gets and how he sets up play across half back means Strauss wouldnt get a game if competing with wheatley for a position.

Well i doubt he will get in then. Whilst wheatley mainly gets cheap outside kicks, the amount of ball he gets and how he sets up play across half back means Strauss wouldnt get a game if competing with wheatley for a position.
Correct. Not initially.

Bit shortsighted to expect Strauss to be challenging for a spot in his first year with an established player like Wheatley.

That's the sort of game Strauss plays as well, it leaves it up to, do you prefer the long kicking of Wheatley, or the precision kicking of Strauss?

strauss has not showed his kicking at afl standard yet. morton is a prime example..he showed that reputation counts for nothing. he was known to be a great kick coming into his first afl season...then he spent his whole first season butchering the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 19...James Strauss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back