Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Lord is an interesting one. Has some mongrel, had an amazing finals campaign but terrible 2024. His kicking has never been good and not super quick or fit. Can’t chop out in the ruck. All that being said, he could turn it on in 2025 with some consistent games and a good run at it.

I’m still for trading him though. If there is a good offer, I’m talking late first rounder territory, then we are better to cash in now rather than watch as he struggles next year and his value plummets to a bag of chips. Ie take the Hartlett, Butcher, Lobbe trades!
Its funny, I like to think I have a pretty good eye for decent players because I've played with and against some excellent players plus spotted players early.

Lord I can't get a read on at all. I have no idea whether he'll make it. My money is on No at the moment but you never know.

Lord is an interesting one. Has some mongrel, had an amazing finals campaign but terrible 2024. His kicking has never been good and not super quick or fit. Can’t chop out in the ruck. All that being said, he could turn it on in 2025 with some consistent games and a good run at it.

I’m still for trading him though. If there is a good offer, I’m talking late first rounder territory, then we are better to cash in now rather than watch as he struggles next year and his value plummets to a bag of chips. Ie take the Hartlett, Butcher, Lobbe trades!
Never worth a first round.

I have an eye for talent, and I have a good feeling if lord has a massive injury free pre-season he can break out like George did this year

My forward line for the next 8 years is Luko, George and lord with quality smalls around them
Personally I dont think Lord has it. Happy to be proven wrong, but i have no confidence he will make the grade.

I’m not seeing it with Lord at all, people thought Dixon was bad this year, lord was diabolical.

And his finals series last year was massively overrated, he got on the end of a few in a horror show against Brisbane. Similar to Butcher against the dogs in 2011, but in a closer game when we needed him against the Giants he was nowhere to be seen. I still think Finlayson should’ve started instead of him.

I’m still clinging to this rare hope that Marshall might not be done.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Jury is still out on Lord. Still kinda iffy about his goal kicking. He has a tendency to always kick it to the right point post whenever he lines up for goal thereabouts on the left forward pocket.

Jury is still out on Lord. Still kinda iffy about his goal kicking. He has a tendency to always kick it to the right point post whenever he lines up for goal thereabouts on the left forward pocket.
This is my major worry. We don't teach goal kicking at Port. If anything our training has proved that we make it worse for players. So if you don't come in with a decent technique to start with then you're no chance at Port. He has a poor technique and unless he invests in himself and takes private lessons from Schulz in the offseason, I don't see him blossoming with us. Hope I'm wrong.

Lord is only 22 only a few at his age make a mark early in their careers.
If Boak goes to the USA I want him to go also.
Would Jay Schulz come in as a goal kicking coach? I know he has some issues health wise but he might be up for it

Lord is only 22 only a few at his age make a mark early in their careers.
If Boak goes to the USA I want him to go also.
Would Jay Schulz come in as a goal kicking coach? I know he has some issues health wise but he might be up for it
Schulz has offered himself numerous times and Koch and Ken have turned him away. The guy has pride you know, and rightfully so, and now won't do it until he's asked to.

I mean if a club is willing to offer a first, I'd take it.

Apart from his fluke game against Harris Andrews, he's never shown to be a reliable forward.
I don’t think any club will offer a 1st.
Get a pick for Lord and play Scully.
Scully has talent but he’s nowhere near ready. He’s the furthest from ready player on our list. And I’m a massive advocate for playing young kfs early.
If there's plenty of interest in Lord, we should cash in. He's out of contract next year? Who's to say he won't leave then?

If a club comes with a 2nd rounder, I'd take it. I dont see what others see in him. His kicking is worse than most of our best 22 players and thats worrying giving there's not many good ones in our best 22 that can kick a set shot regularly.
He’s ooc in 2026.

We would be mad to trade him at his lowest value, moments after losing our big kf and another kf with concussion issues.

I’m unsure if he makes it as a star kf,

I would be surprised if he can’t substantially better esava’s 0.37 goals 0.25 goal assists 1.25 contested marks.

I think serviceable kf is well within lords capacity, and with where our list is at a young serviceable kf is nothing to sneeze it since gun kfs don’t grow on trees.

**** we just paid pick 25 for a ooc kpp with those kind of returns I posted above.

If we trade lord out for a pick we can look forward to a nervous 2026 onwards while teams shop around crud kfs for our 1st rounders to see if we’re dumb enough to bite.

Can we stop with the Jay Schulz goal kicking coach thing please. If he really was a maestro some club, even state league, would have picked him up.

Just because Schulz himself was a brilliant set shot doesn't mean he actually has the ability to coach others to do the same. There's a huge chasm between having technical ability and being proficient in teaching that ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt he ever becomes a 50 goal a year type player but I have full confidence he can become a 30 goal a year type player who brings the physical presence that the likes of Georgiades, Marshall, Finlayson and now Lukosius certainly don't bring. You can't have a forward line full of marshmallows, someone has to bring the contest, Lord is the guy for that.

We were trying to force him to play this big, robust, Oxen like game because he has shoulders of Adonis, but his strengths seem to be his ability below his knees and ability to mark the ball on a lead. I think a functional forward line and his leading patterns would compliment Mitch and Jack/Todd well. The best footy brain I’ve ever heard speak said, ‘You’re fast or you’re slow and the hardest thing to guard in footy is Grass’ our forward entries kick to the player, need to kick to Grass and understand how our big boys like it delivered. Buzz word is Connection.

I doubt he ever becomes a 50 goal a year type player but I have full confidence he can become a 30 goal a year type player who brings the physical presence that the likes of Georgiades, Marshall, Finlayson and now Lukosius certainly don't bring. You can't have a forward line full of marshmallows, someone has to bring the contest, Lord is the guy for that.
Yeah I fully agree that Lord doesn't need to be a huge goal kicker - he just needs to be the contested foil when Luko/George are tied up, and to bring other KPDs away from their leading lanes.

If he can get to the stage where he's averaging a 1-on-1 win % of > 35%, and ideally > 2 marks i50 a game he'll be a very valuable part of the forward line alongside George and Luko.

Still don't think he's got the footy IQ to get in position often enough to be a viable target i50, but with a big pre-season working on his craft it's not out of the picture he can be that contested presence we need.

Not a massive fan but don't think you can get rid of him given Dixon is gone, Scully is probably gone and Marshall is shakey.

Also Finlayson probably has one year left.

Some only want to keep Georgiades,Sweet and Visentini.
Marshall on a knife edge from retirement Finlayson has 1 yr and that could change due to his wife
But some want to trade or delist the rest of our talls
Are we aiming for the wooden spoon

I'm not a fan of his by all stretch and personally would trade him. Statistically he looks pretty good for a young inexperienced key forward so I would hope a year or two contract extension is on the cards for him. If not coming on after a year or two would then move on.

Has the frame to be a menace up forward.

This is why it's so important to piss off Hinkley and start fresh with Carr.

We have only ever known one game plan under Ken, it's time for a fresh start. Bomb it in Charlie has retired, Ken needs to be thrown out, feels like clubs are circling.

No way am I letting Lord go, just piss off Hinkley. Chewy316 (let's pray he's gone Monday). Although, they won't even have a presser, it will be announced between the Chicken and Fish at the B&F.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Back