Player Watch Pick #52 (2013) - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been ok for a guy that isn't a natural forward. He kicked 9 goals in the first 4 rounds but he's only kicked 8 goals in 10 rounds since.

He failed to kick a goal against Collingwood, Adelaide, Carlton and Brisbane. All the big games we fail in, he doesn't turn up.

It's not his fault he's not a natural forward, he's another Ken favourite who gets shoe-horned into a role to keep him in the team.

But all our small forwards can't be defensive role players. If Rioli and even Tommy A (of course SPP when fit) are in there, then that's fine.

I would keep him in the side, but we need to play some small forwards who are attack minded so he can complement them.

without dbj we’d be 13th.
He’s one I think can play, but is incredibly poorly coached.
How does an AA half back suddenly forget to football?
It’s as unfathomable as a Brownlow medallist not being a first choice midfielder.
Your first sentence isn’t totally correct, it should read without Jed we’d be 13th because without him DBJ wouldn’t have been near the ball to fluke it in.

He's been ok for a guy that isn't a natural forward. He kicked 9 goals in the first 4 rounds but he's only kicked 8 goals in 10 rounds since.

He failed to kick a goal against Collingwood, Adelaide, Carlton and Brisbane. All the big games we fail in, he doesn't turn up.

It's not his fault he's not a natural forward, he's another Ken favourite who gets shoe-horned into a role to keep him in the team.

But all our small forwards can't be defensive role players. If Rioli and even Tommy A (of course SPP) are in there, then that's fine.

I would keep him in the side, but we need to play some small forwards who are attack minded so he can complement them.
Yep he’s ok in a side that has some real talent up forward unfortunately we don’t.
There’s just not enough goal scoring power to go with the big boys.
With him Jed, Charlie and Tod it’s never going anywhere.
MG and Rioli and possibly Lord when he’s got some games behind him are it.

Considering the whole team got smashed in those games, and we had very limited forward 50 entries, I find it interesting that ppl are potting the small fwd.
Definitely not just the small forward (we only have one, Rioli).
It’s the entire set up and personnel.
The coach couldn’t set an alarm clock and the personnel are not good enough to take us anywhere near a premiership.
We’ve had some real good try hards that have dropped off with there form.
The coaching staff are not good enough also, couldn’t coach a starving dog to a T Bone.
Need a massive clear out.

Wow Ken you've sure got a lot of accounts on here!
I agree with his sentiment at least. I've hated DBJ since the 2019 North game where he had 1 touch in the first half debacle, to the point where it's a running gag with the guys I sit with at AO how much I hate him.

Having said that, if our worst forward was still averaging over a goal a game, we'd be in decent shape. Having to field DBJ + McEntee + Evans in the same forward line is when things start to look pretty ****ing dire. Particularly when you also have non-goalkickers like Mead/Narkle/Sinn manning the HFF line.

Having said that, if our worst forward was still averaging over a goal a game, we'd be in decent shape. Having to field DBJ + McEntee + Evans in the same forward line is when things start to look pretty ****ing dire. Particularly when you also have non-goalkickers like Mead/Narkle/Sinn manning the HFF line.
Okay but that's not DBJ's fault. If we had a forward line of prime Tony Lockett with McEntee/Evans/Mead/Narkle/Sinn, it'd still be a bad forward line.

Okay but that's not DBJ's fault. If we had a forward line of prime Tony Lockett with McEntee/Evans/Mead/Narkle/Sinn, it'd still be a bad forward line.
Totally agree - my point is that for someone who doesn't really have much forward craft he is currently doing ok. But combine him with 2-4 others forwards with no natural forward craft and it can be easy to isolate the lot of them and say they are all shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree - my point is that for someone who doesn't really have much forward craft he is currently doing ok. But combine him with 2-4 others forwards with no natural forward craft and it can be easy to isolate the lot of them and say they are all shit.
That’s it , they are all shyt apart from MG and Rioli.
Only other that has any future is Lord, the rest ain’t worth squat.

Apart from his lack of forward craft, my problem with DBJ is I have seen him pull out of a contest way too many times and those players need to be weeded out.

Kern probably tore him a new one for not blanketing dusty in the prelim which ruined his backline confidence. Even though that was nowhere near the match up required for dusty at the time

Kern probably tore him a new one for not blanketing dusty in the prelim which ruined his backline confidence. Even though that was nowhere near the match up required for dusty at the time
Couldn’t imagine Ken tearing up a tissue.
Even if he did that just shows the player is pi$$ weak and should be moved on.
We’re not talking about 5 year old kids don’t forget.

Players with 30+ direct goal involvements this season. (Goal + Goal Assist)

DBJ 44 (22 Goals + 22 Assists)
Georgiades 43 (37 G + 6 A)
JHF 38 (19 G + 19 A)
T.Marshall 34 (20 G + 14 A)
Rioli 31 (24 G + 7 A)

Players with 30+ direct goal involvements this season. (Goal + Goal Assist)

DBJ 44 (22 Goals + 22 Assists)
Georgiades 43 (37 G + 6 A)
JHF 38 (19 G + 19 A)
T.Marshall 34 (20 G + 14 A)
Rioli 31 (24 G + 7 A)
People who categorise this bloke with the McEntees, Narkles and Evanses of the world are plebs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #52 (2013) - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back