Opinion Pick 6* – who do you want?

Who are your TWO favourite options for Pick 6*?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy left Hawthorn eventually so it was clearly the wrong choice. Set them back 5 years.
It's amazing a bloke leaving after 3 years sets you back 5 like Jackson.

Wayne Carey for North, Pavlich for Freo, Jono Brown at Brisbane, Rance at Richmond etc. Destroyed those clubs when they drafted them interstate.

We have all our future picks we can use for life trading if we feel fit. Have a suspicion we may get involved in this.

If someone slips to the 20s we could go 42+F2 to try snare someone

The comparison with the Eagles doesn't work because they would only do the deal if the package of picks they could get for 1 would be worth more to them than Reid. Do you want to trade three first rounders for Reid? I don't, I think it would be a poor deal.

Your argument is about using pick 6 to select one of the available players and I believe you always take the best available (or best available for needs). Getting scared about the go home factor is how you end up with selections like Watts over Nic Naitanui

At the end of the day picking guys like Jackson and Pickett helped us win the flag in 2021. No guarantee we win anything whoever else we take with those selections. Also it's odd that you would point to Hayden Young, a Victorian playing for an interstate team (the go home factor doesn't seem to be an issue) and Tom Green, an academy selection we didn't have access to.

I would also question whether you prefer Caddy and O'Sullivan over Curtin on their talent or where they live. Personally I rate Curtin much higher than both of them especially at being able to impact early in his career.
I understand what you're saying. But who knows. Maybe if we took Tom Green we would've won 2 flags. it's an impossible argument.

Think the go home factor is really overblown. There must be a 100 players on lists for interstate teams and you have 1 or 2 want to go home in any given year.

Odds of someone leaving to go home are actually just a small percentage but we make a big deal out of it.

Fair chance ill only be voting once again , just a head up :)
Funny thing about that – I still haven't decided on my second option so I may have only voted once, too :$

Wrote out a whole big post on who my second choice was, then changed my mind.

Anyway, the fish rots from the head on the Melbourne BigFooty Board too, it seems.

Go home factor is more of a consideration for non-Vic clubs. West Coast select Reid and he lives up to the hype he’s got 10 potential suitors in a bidding war to secure his services closer to home.

Vic club picks Curtin and he guns it, there’s only West Coast and Freo trying to lure him back as well as Logan McDonald, JVR etc but it’s also tough because he’s not a surfie and the Perth bikie meth isn’t much of a lure either.

Funny thing about that – I still haven't decided on my second option so I may have only voted once, too :$

Wrote out a whole big post on who my second choice was, then changed my mind.

Anyway, the fish rots from the head on the Melbourne BigFooty Board too, it seems.
I'd better vote myself, set some good kulcharul examples

Quite honestly I still think taking more than 2 picks should be on the table and I'd be sounding out a club like Adelaide to see if they want to trade 6 for 10 and 14.

I think there's some interesting looking players rated between 10 and 20 in phantom drafts. O'Sullivan, Windsor, Wilson and Collard - any 3 of them would be a good draft giving us new prospects in a range of positions.

With only two picks and 6 in an awkward position, it's a massive call. I can see us going for Caddy and hoping he turns into a midfielder, which would be a big potential upside pick but also a decent chance of bombing.

I've got to say I'm not sold on Curtin as our first pick from the highlights I've seen. Beautiful kick and good size but some of the contest work I've seen at Colts and under-18s level leaves a bit to be desired.

Ok, so Curtin is my clear number one preference, but if he's off the board, it's O'Sullivan or Caddy for me.

If you'd asked me a week ago, I would've said O'Sullivan, but after talking Caddy down for the past couple of months, I've started warming to him recently. I'm still not entirely sold, but the upside is more appealing than the others in this range.

He looks a boom-or-bust type, but what I like about him is that he seems to just be a natural forward, and with his athleticism and skills on the deck, you could play him next to two genuine KPFs I think, so it wouldn't feel like too much of a waste going JVR - Jefferson - Caddy in successive drafts. Have a feeling he'll be AFL-ready before Jefferson, too.

So for me:

1. Curtin
--
2. Caddy
3. O'Sullivan
--
4. Sanders
--
5. Watson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems like a very clear top bracket has emerged, plus Watson who IMO is very questionable as a top pick but some clubs clearly want to get. Reid, Walter, McKercher, Duursma, Watson, Curtin.

After that it seems to me like there's a gap and a number of players who will probably go 6-20 but the order is up in the air. That's why if you can't be in the top 3 it seems a good draft to have a few picks in that bracket to me.

Our pick at 6 (excluding the academy guys), is about where it gets interesting.. and by interesting I mean a bit of a carp shoot. I'd like to see us package 11 with 6 to get inside the top 3/4. McKercher would be amazing to get hold of.

JT has decided that 14 is a cut off for him but my feelings are it's actually earlier than that. I would probably have rathered two late teen picks than 11 personally, if we definitely couldn't package it with 6 to move higher.

Voted for Curtin but I can’t see both North who have plenty of young midfielders and need a long term defender when they have 2 picks and Hawthorn likewise a key defender is more of a need overlooking him.

I think I prefer Caleb Windsor over the others on the list for us.

Voted for Curtin but I can’t see both North who have plenty of young midfielders and need a long term defender when they have 2 picks and Hawthorn likewise a key defender is more of a need overlooking him.

I think I prefer Caleb Windsor over the others on the list for us.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel there's no chance he falls to us. And if Norf get pick 1, there's zero chance. I have a bad feeling we're missing out on that top bracket of kids unfortunately.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel there's no chance he falls to us. And if Norf get pick 1, there's zero chance. I have a bad feeling we're missing out on that top bracket of kids unfortunately.
Still a bit of a luxury to get to pick from Caddy/O'Sullivan/Sanders (and pick 11) considering we played finals – not all bad, as much as I wanted McKercher/Duursma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back