Confirmed Pick swap: Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to West Coast, #14 to Richmond, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

What I’m struggling to get my head around is how no other club trumped Carlton’s offer for pick 3. Amazing.
Was told that Saints did offer 7+F1 for 3.

Do you think that was likely. Surely most clubs with picks 5-10 could have done the same. Tigers would be th key one but for some reason they are not that keen to get 2 of the top 3 guys. They must rate only one and then next 10 shoudl be on same level.

Eagles problem was not being able to convince Tigers that Baker was not worth pick 14. Not even rusted on Tiger fans think that so not sure how the Tigers LM would think that.

Would have had a better deal if Eagles took Hawks F1+F2 offer on table yday morning. Convinced Tigers to take the F1.

Keep the F2 and made deal for 3 for 12+14+Owies.

They end up with 3 for 12+14+Owies+F2

I know Eagles are hoping for 2 F1's but will never happen after hawks saw how the last few hrs has gone. So assume it is still F1+F2 and not anything less.

Eagles end up with 3 for 12+F1+Owies+F2.

Eagles problem was giving Tigers anything more than a F1 or late late teens for Baker and not being willing to walk away.

If they held on to 3 by itself, likely would have had offers coming through right untill draft night and kept on trading up & build a war chest for Chad warner raid.

Suns converted pick 4 last yr to 6 first rounders since they were patient.

Eagles Baker commitment via their new coach made them impatient.

It's funny how differently we rate established players compared to draft picks.

How many players in the competition would get you two first round picks and a second round pick with nothing coming back?

That would be one of the most costly trades for a player we've seen, yet when you give them up for a top end draft pick, you are seen as huge winners.

I'm not saying this is t a good deal for Carlton by the way (they have done well) just that maybe we overrate draft picks when trading for quality players.

Do you think that was likely. Surely most clubs with picks 5-10 could have done the same. Tigers would be th key one but for some reason they are not that keen to get 2 of the top 3 guys. They must rate only one and then next 10 shoudl be on same level.

Eagles problem was not being able to convince Tigers that Baker was not worth pick 14. Not even rusted on Tiger fans think that so not sure how the Tigers LM would think that.

Would have had a better deal if Eagles took Hawks F1+F2 offer on table yday morning. Convinced Tigers to take the F1.

I know Eagles are hoping for 2 F1's but will never happen after hawks saw how the last few hrs has gone. So assume it is still F1+F2 and not anything less.

Eagles problem was giving Tigers anything more than a F1 or late late teens for Baker and not being willing to walk away.

If they held on to 3 by itself, likely would have had offers coming through right untill draft night and kept on trading up & build a war chest for Chad warner raid.

Many Tigers fans have banged on about how Baker is worth pick 14, he is an elite player as ranked by Champion Data.

Re Barrass, us picking up Baker without the Barrass trade improves our hand to stick to our guns with Barrass, so be prepared to pay up.

Told by who that St Kilda offered 7 and F1 for 3?

Eagles getting Baker, Owies and pick 12 for pick 3 is a huge overpay, however given the Eagles current list and relative ladder position, and the fact that Baker and Owies will both be best 22 filling roles of need for the Eagles, it isn't the worst ever trade
Are you sure?

This is prime Gold Coast territory in terms of flubs.

Carlton gave up fair value for #3.
Pick 13, 2025 R1 and R2 and Owies.

The club not getting a good return is West Coast. They've sold out cheaply.
Never again will I laugh at a flog offering up two list cloggers for a top 5 pick in a good draft.

Because West Coast may just be the club to make that happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never again will I laugh at a flog offering up two list cloggers for a top 5 pick in a good draft.

Because West Coast may just be the club to make that happen.
Baker and Owies are both walk up best 22, Baker will be a top 5 player for us, and we got pick 12.

I'm not saying we won the trade by any stretch, but calling them list bloggers is obviously disingenuous.

Baker and Owies are both walk up best 22, Baker will be a top 5 player for us, and we got pick 12.

I'm not saying we won the trade by any stretch, but calling them list bloggers is obviously disingenuous.
Walk up best 22 at the worst team in the comp doesn't mean they aren't list cloggers.

Yeah, you're a moron.
Mate, Owies is a C tier small forward who will be 28 next year.

I'm not going to pander to this kind of delusional optimism. What need did he so desperately fill that it was worth breaking up pick 3, likewise Baker, who is at least closer to semi serviceable?

This isn't hate, they are simply lower end performers on not great teams. Moving to an even more hopeless squad (debatable between WC and Richmond). Putting 3 on the open market might actually have netted something of value.

Richmond have done very well in this trade. Baker was never going to be a key part of their rebuild so not a huge deal in terms of this trade if that picks a bust - probably has flow-on effects for their earlier/later picks anyway.

It looks good for Carlton and bad for West Coast on paper, but given the evenness of this draft, it will probably be a couple of years before you can properly assess that.

Mate, Owies is a C tier small forward who will be 28 next year.

I'm not going to pander to this kind of delusional optimism. What need did he so desperately fill that it was worth breaking up pick 3, likewise Baker, who is at least closer to semi serviceable?

This isn't hate, they are simply lower end performers on not great teams. Moving to an even more hopeless squad (debatable between WC and Richmond). Putting 3 on the open market might actually have netted something of value.
If you think Baker is a lower end performer you might be the biggest nuff I've ever encountered. Embarrassing lack of footy knowledge.

If you think Baker is a lower end performer you might be the biggest nuff I've ever encountered. Embarrassing lack of footy knowledge.
Oh, so you've moved on from Owies?

Baker is a trier. A glue guy. A 27 year old (as of next season) mediocre but tough midget on the worst team in the league.

He makes as much sense to add to West Coasts rebuild at that price, as he did for Richmond to retain. He's never won an award of any kind, he doesn't play in a role that will instantly elevate the squad and it isn't like he is in the right age demographic that we'll see massive improvement.

So if WC can turn Tim Kelly in to a bog average player, imagine what we can do with Baker. By the time he's turned into a bum player injured or just shading a patch of grass, I doubt your account will still be here to apologise anyway.

This has all time worst trades written all over it.

Last edited:
Baker has 4 to 5 very good years left in him. He wanted to go home & picked WC.
His not a "star" but a very good role player and hard at it. You know what you'll get from him and will wear his heart on his sleeve. Natural leader who also brings very good experience to a younger squad. Was rated very highly here in WA.
I know most feel hard done by but I feel getting a good small fwd to finally replace Willy Rioli & a great HB leader. Pick 12 (14) will be used on Bo Allen, WC must know he'll get to 14 or whatever. His a gun midfielder and best WA prospect in the pool. Will compliment Reid in the middle for years.
Not end of the world by any means.
Ps. Pick 14 (16 or 17) could end up being an absolute dud!
Let's hope Carlton Pick up another Dow at 3 😄 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Pick swap: Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to West Coast, #14 to Richmond, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back