Confirmed Pick swap: Melbourne trade picks 28, 40, 46, 54, 75 and F1 (Melb) to Essendon for pick 9 and F3 (Ess)

Remove this Banner Ad

You obviously don’t know how the bidding rules work
I know how the bidding system works. I think you could have done this on draft night. I don’t think Kako would have been bid on inside the top 8. You could have double dipped and a got a top 10 pick plus Kako. If a bid did come before you would have contingencies with 1 or 2 other clubs to trade out. It would be like us last year trading out pick 5 before draft night because we thought a club might bid on Will McCabe who was projected to go 15-20. We will see how the draft plays out in November.

I know how the bidding system works. I think you could have done this on draft night. I don’t think Kako would have been bid on inside the top 8. You could have double dipped and a got a top 10 pick plus Kako. If a bid did come before you would have contingencies with 1 or 2 other clubs to trade out. It would be like us last year trading out pick 5 before draft night because we thought a club might bid on Will McCabe who was projected to go 15-20. We will see how the draft plays out in November.
We wouldn't have nearly gotten this haul. We'd maybe have gotten a second and a third but not two seconds, two thirds and a fourth.

Anybody who thinks this is a bad deal for us is either a lunatic, wishes their club had gotten the pick, someone who hates us or a combination of the three

Even the dees fans are a rabble attacking eachother in this thread. Can’t get on the same page over anything, doesn’t bode well for the club
lol. I mean let's break it down. All of the full time Essendon fc list managers and recruiters pooled all of their intelligence together in the most important time of the year to arrive at the conclusion that Kako is either going to bid on or a strong possibility to be bid on or even a remote chance to be bid on (a risk that they couldn't take). But apparently some guy on Bigfooty knows 100% that Kako wouldn't be bid on. The flawed logic of some people agitates me.

If Essendon traded out of the 1st round, it's for good reason.

What a rubbish comparison.
Kako is predicted to go around 10-15, we had 9 (likely to be 11 after Ashcroft/Lombard bids). In a pretty even draft, there's definitely a chance someone like the Saints make a play.

You had pick 4 before draft night. 2 other clubs have live picks before you in a draft with a clear top 4-5. Absolutely no chance either of them were reaching that far.

Now instead of taking the risk on 9 and struggling to find the points to match Kako (and then having absolutely nothing else in a deep draft), we have an extra first rounder next year and the currency to not only match, but look at some sliders in the 30's/40's.
Or maybe we package 28/31 for more future picks. Maybe we even use them to try and trade back in after a bid.

There's no chance we get the value we did if we make a trade on draft night whilst on the clock after a bid.

All the talk about this year versus next year draft and Essendon panicking simply isn't correct, regardless of bids Essendon has its first round pick this year in Kako, so if the draft pool is shallow next year doesn't it make sense to obtain more first round picks next year to have the flexibility to move up into the pointy end of the draft, with Duursma in the mix.

Nah. Saints would have bid strategically with one of their 3rd first rnd picks, at basically no risk to them. Clubs routinely bid on players they have no intention of taking.

That is a lot to give up from Melbourne
I agree. Even without that 2025 future 1st handed up from the demons...

Picks 28, 40, 46, 54 and 75 for pick 9 and a future 3rd seems fair for both sides.

I can understand Essendon getting those 4 or 5 picks for points.

But let's use North Melbourne for example. That would make sense for them.

If North Melbourne gave up pick 9 and a Future 3rd for picks 28, 40, 46, 54 and 75 that's a nice deal for North Melbourne.

A good package of picks than beg for another early pick.

They could trade pick 28 and 40 for a couple of B Grade or C grade experience players from other clubs and still use the other 3 picks to get some kids.

That's my 2 cents

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Pick swap: Melbourne trade picks 28, 40, 46, 54, 75 and F1 (Melb) to Essendon for pick 9 and F3 (Ess)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back