Picken decision a bad one

Remove this Banner Ad

Maverick

All Australian
May 14, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It was a bad decision to trade M Picken

1 - got sweet bugger all in return (pick 45 for 3 players).
2 - He is only 22!!!!!! We had just 7 of our GF team younger than 24.
3 - He was unlucky to get dropped in the first place.
4 - From all reports he was killing them in the reserves.

On the Lions website it says we did the right thing by the players. How many other clubs went giving players away for nothing??? What are we...a charity case.

We didn't get "exactly" nothing for Picken. He was part of a trade deal, in which the club improved a few draft choices. Considering that if Picken was out of contract (not sure if he was or not), he could have walked out on the club regardless, and we would have got "absolutely" nothing for him.

At the end of the day, Picken was wanting to leave, to go elswhere. He's been on the list since 1998, and hadn't broken into the senior side, unlucky or not. You have to ask, who would Picken seriously replace in the side? I doubt he'd break into the top 22 next season, and by the following year, you can almost bet that there will be better younger talent on offer, with players having overtaken him in the race for the seniors.

The club has a process of drafting mainly young players every year, and developing them over a few years. It is essential that this trend is kept up, in order to maintain a list that is well balanced between youth and experience. Keeping players on the list too long, who do not look like breaking into the senior side, would contribute to breaking down the good balance.

In any regard, some degree of turnover on a list is a good thing. It keeps everyone on their guard, and ensures an enthusiasm is present amongst the players. Adelaide were a classic example of this in 1997 and 1998.

I reckon Picken is an alright footballer. His luck will be elsewhere.

Originally posted by Olmy

The club has a process of drafting mainly young players every year, and developing them over a few years. It is essential that this trend is kept up, in order to maintain a list that is well balanced between youth and experience. Keeping players on the list too long, who do not look like breaking into the senior side, would contribute to breaking down the good balance.

In any regard, some degree of turnover on a list is a good thing. It keeps everyone on their guard, and ensures an enthusiasm is present amongst the players. Adelaide were a classic example of this in 1997 and 1998.

I reckon Picken is an alright footballer. His luck will be elsewhere.

Beautifully said Olmy.

The Lions have steadily improved each year, except for one in 98 since around 92/93. That was when they embarked on a successful youth drive and development plan that clubs like the Swans and some others could only dream about.

It was almost 10 years back when they said 'ok enough of other club has beens. Thats when they went for Leppitsch and other young guns. They also provided an environment conducive to keeping them. Other interstate clubs have continually lost players back to their home states like the Swans with Grant and Rocca etc. They kept going with the kids and have patiently and cleverly worked their list over in all that time.

Now Brisbane have reaped the ultimate reward and it's a real credit to the club.

I'm a dogs supporter and if there is any consolation for us this season is that we gave the premier a spanking. Iroonically the player that hurt you most that day in Huddo we got rid of and gave you that draft pick for Picken and Rusca. I think Picken will be a good pick up for us. I hope Rusca turns out to be a goodin as well. But for Brisbane these players won't get in the road of the new kids on the block and the future looks very rosy up North.

Stop being so nice to them, The Doctor! ;)

Originally posted by Maverick
It was a bad decision to trade M Picken

1 - got sweet bugger all in return (pick 45 for 3 players).
2 - He is only 22!!!!!! We had just 7 of our GF team younger than 24.
3 - He was unlucky to get dropped in the first place.
4 - From all reports he was killing them in the reserves.

On the Lions website it says we did the right thing by the players. How many other clubs went giving players away for nothing??? What are we...a charity case.

You have to make a distinction between yesterday's two seperate deals.

You guys got a good deal for Picken. A swap of a 3rd round draft pick is about right (if not too much) for a fringe player such as him.

Rusca has played 2 games in 3 years -- that wasn't that much of a loss anyway, and he was probably just thrown in as a sweetener for us to depart with a mid range pick in a solid draft.

The "swap" you should be complaining about is Knobel ! An up and coming ruckman for an improvement of 4 picks in the draft? Now THAT is charity! At least if you traded up from a fourth round pick or fifth round pick, it would have been worth something -- but with pick 45 instead of 49, you'll probably be selecting the same player you would have in the first place.

In effect, you gave Knobel away for nothing. But you did receive a third round draft pick in exchange for a fringe player in Picken, and a rookie who hasn't done a thing in Rusca.

Anyway -- you've just won a premiership -- be happy! :)

Re: Stop being so nice to them, The Doctor! ;)

Originally posted by Westy_Boy

Anyway -- you've just won a premiership -- be happy! :)

If my team won the flag i would be still too happy a week or two later to give a toss about trades. Am glad to see that you guys rate Picken and Rusca enough to care that they have gone though. (i am a doggy fan too)

Rusca I could take or leave, but Picken is a player we had high hopes for. He reminded me a bit of the Scott brothers, only with a bit more spring and a little less strength. We were never going to get what he was worth, just like most of our trades over the past few years, with the exception of Molloy.
Knobel I'm indifferent about. We have McDonald and Charman as well, so he pretty much had to get rid of him one way or another.

well
yeah
picko did kill them in the ressies!
he was great for the team!
he was soooooooo unlucky to be dropped
all for leppa
who injured himself again in that game anyway!
i was sooooooooo annoyed
but as u said he wanted to go
i was getting ready to get a pies jumper with his number oin it
but there is no way that i will get a dogs jumper
it's all just bad vibes.
trenna...he was great until he hurt his elbow
he had the rottenest luck all seaon
i think the reason why all of them went is just cause leigh doesn't like them
u can tell that damian cupido is his pet
as if he is totally as great as everyone says!
sure he's good but if any of u went along to the ressies games u would have wondered what they were all going on about
he was bad the whole finals series if u ask me
we were yelling to the other guys not to kick it to him
when they did he always screwed it!

as for ruski
he would have won the grogan Medal (B&F in AFLQ) i reckon if he hadn't fractured his scull during the broadbeach game at the gabba after colliding with a guy David Hale who should get picked up this year in the draft. He played for Qld in the U18 National championships, was very good from reports back up here!
Got selected to go to draft camp so has a really good chance. 200cm or over running full forward.
very promising!
Plays alot like Nick Reiwoldt actually our other proud Qld son (even though originally from tas)
We wish them all the best of luck & best wishes for at the new club & hope they see alot more senior footy than they did here
Like ruski who played 2 games in a row after being elevated from the rookie list & then not being used again.
& as we used to say....SENIOR PICKEN!

Originally posted by keatings_gal

i think the reason why all of them went is just cause leigh doesn't like them
u can tell that damian cupido is his pet
as if he is totally as great as everyone says!

Totally agree Keatings Gal! Bloody Cupido is nothing special. He plays footy for himself and not for the team!!!

He is no-where near as great as everybody says he is, and it's about time someone gave him a kick up the backside to let him know that!

yeah
clap clap
good on you pickos_chick
i love it
it is sooooo true
he is so full of himself
i remember
sorry to say it
but picko was like that when he came
well it was all him on the field
we used to say
there's no I in TEAM marcus
then we made up the saying
Together
Everyone
Always
Marcus

we can only pray that he turns out like picko did
I wish that team ended with a d
but i guess we can always put MORON on the end

Cupido ordinary?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

You've got to be kidding?!

Perhaps his application to certain parts of his game is ordinary, and it could be debated by some on-field performances that his attitude to team-work is ordinary, but he is hardly and ordinary footballer. In fact, you'd have to say he's one of the most exciting young football prospects around, that is yet to be tapped into.

I've seen Cupido perform right from junior level, and he is definitely a special football talent. You can't write him off as being "ordinary" because he hasn't refined his game to the standard of a senior AFL footballer, in only his second year at an AFL club.

Given time, Cupido could become a very, very good player. He is definitely not ordinary, and definitely has the potential and talent to become a truly great player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Picken decision a bad one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back