Picks 31 & 32

Remove this Banner Ad

We have plenty of midfielder's to pick from. Must go with the two best available key position players, i.e. one forward and one back. Thats my view.

We went needs with Walsh [DIDN'T WORK], Clayton rated Brennan & Mackie [was available].

Brisbane stuffed everything up.

Goddard, Wells and Salopek were the three highly rated kids of that draft and it was expected they would go 1, 2 & 3.

Clayton really wanted Brennan.

Had Brisbane stuck to the script, we would have taken Brennan, Port would have taken Schammer (they got Salopek @ 6), Geelong would have taken Walsh (they got Mackie @ 7), Freo would have taken Faulkner (they got Schammer @ 13) and we would have taken Mackie @ 17.

I think my biggest issue is taking risks on speculative smalls with early picks.

Farren Ray was a massive gamble and best case scenario all we would have received was a gun outside player. Why not take that gamble on a KP?

I can always live with Griffen ahead of Buddy because Griff was such a certainty to be a quality player.

Good point, and sam power and jordan mcmahon

however, I can see what Clayton saw in Ray at the time, he was a real live wire. But in making the transition from raw ex-soccer player to polished footy player (and he is only half way there) Ray seems to have lost that instinctive spark.

Worked for, as you said Cooney - He picked himself, Griffen - We needed Franklin, Williams You are joking of course[when fit], Everitt - Jury is out, Higgins - Jury is out -.

We went needs with Walsh: WRONG - Best Available.

[DIDN'T WORK]: RIGHT

, Clayton rated Brennan & Mackie [was available].

Many people on here wanted Cleve Hughes & Erik McKenzie for NEEDS, but we went for Higgins & Everitt, how are McKenzie & Hughes travelling?

Its VERY EASY to pick out 2 or 3 players, but if you look at the complete picture, later picks that worked, he actually stacks up right up there with the best of them!!!!

And who might they be ?

Best available got us into this position in the first place. It's bullshit.

You can't trade for talls.

Smaller guys mature earlier so they look better at U18 level and are more sure-things; but you need talls and must be prepared to take the risk and pull the trigger on them early. You are going to get some duds (luckily or Tempo and Acker wouldn't have anything to whinge about*), but that is what it takes to get decent ones.

*Not strictly true, Tempo would still find plenty to whinge about

Bit harsh Scooter.

Borgsta directed me to do a little light reading found it very enlightening .... So might you .... I"VE SEEN THE LIGHT BROTHER!!

Everyone has views and is entitled to express them if they so choose, at times a situation may arise where you don’t agree with someone else’s viewpoint. If you disagree with them - constructively post why you disagree with them without resorting to name calling, swearing, sarcastic remarks etc, this not only derails the thread but a good topic suddenly loses it’s appeal. We can’t all agree on everything and not everyone thinks the same way you do, remember “discuss the topic, not the poster”.

By the way I am yet to be proven wrong on any position I have taken.

however, I can see what Clayton saw in Ray at the time, he was a real live wire. But in making the transition from raw ex-soccer player to polished footy player (and he is only half way there) Ray seems to have lost that instinctive spark.

Yeah I suppose Ray could of been anything (similar to the thoughts about buddy althoug his were attitude related issue) so I suppose it's fair enough just a gamble that didn't pay off but could of payed huge dividends if Ray developed into a much better kick and decision maker, he'd be a very very good player.

I guess that comes down to drafting methodology. IMO, you use the first round, and most importantly the early picks when you're down the bottom, to draft the core of your team. Cooney, Griffen, Williams, Grant, Higgins, Everitt should ALL be key players in our team's core over the next few years.

A potential live wire isn't really a core player. McClean would've been a better fit, a bigger body. Draft the live wires like Hill and Harbrow with later picks.

All in all though, we've done well over the last few drafts, and our first rounders over the past 3 or 4 years look solid. Cordy is a good acquisition by the sounds of it, so we'll have a good core group for a few years to come.

I guess that comes down to drafting methodology. IMO, you use the first round, and most importantly the early picks when you're down the bottom, to draft the core of your team. Cooney, Griffen, Williams, Grant, Higgins, Everitt should ALL be key players in our team's core over the next few years.

A potential live wire isn't really a core player. McClean would've been a better fit, a bigger body. Draft the live wires like Hill and Harbrow with later picks.

All in all though, we've done well over the last few drafts, and our first rounders over the past 3 or 4 years look solid. Cordy is a good acquisition by the sounds of it, so we'll have a good core group for a few years to come.

Very good post and agree 100%, if you do add Walsh (who had bad luck) there is you CHF, and with Williams Grant Everitt and Cordy you spine.

I'm feeling very positive about our team at the moment. My brother is a hawks fan, has been for a very long time - feels as if they're untouchable at the moment and expects 2-3 flags over the next 5 years.

We're cherry ripe. No doubt about it. Maybe, and I mean MAYBE, we're a year ahead, but I think we can win the flag next year. I'd not be surprised. We've drafted, VERY well in the 1st round over the past few year. To be honest, even give 20/20 hind-sight, the only pick over the past 4 years that I'd change is Ray. The rest are good choices. Clayton was a good recruiter. I'm not sorry to say good-bye, but we don't have a replacement, so we'll see what happens from here on it.

In the end, our last 4 drafts have had first rounders of (if you include 2008 draft) Cordy (ruck) Grant (ff), Everitt - (Chb, HBF, Wing, FF - so versitile it's not funny), Williams, CHB.

Our team has a good spine.

Lake, Williams, Hudson/Cordy, Murphy/Boumann, Grant.

We're cherry ripe.

I'm a negative person, for intents and purposes. But, in reality, we've got a good spine. And I look at guys like Hill, Harbrow, Cross (B&F winner!!!!), Cooney (brownlow!!!), Griffen, Gilbeee!!!!, Higgins!!

We're set. Ok, depth may be an issue. But, without a doubt, we have some absolutely amazing footballers in our team. Amazing. Guns.

If they all come on, we'll be unstoppable for 10 years to come.

If some of them come on, we'll be unstoppable for 5 years to come.

If 1 of them come on, we MIGHT win a flag.

Yes, I'm absolutely battered at the moment - I blame TESCO for cheap booze!!!

GO THE DOGGIES! I WILL ALWAYS BE A SUPPORTER!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other tall forwards that could be half a chance are Ryan Schoenmakers, Tom Lynch, Paul Cahill and the recent name I'm hearing and seeing a bit of now Jayden Post.

I know the Post family and Jayden is a great kid. He is tall and was a top age U/18 this year. Hopefully that might make him a little closer to being ready for AFL.
I believe he has had a few clubs sniffing about after him but think he might be worthwhile at 31 or 32. Also he is a local boy from the Altona area.
On Mitch Banner, he is not what we need. He is a good kid also but his size doesn't suit us at all. He is quite small and although skilled is an outside type. I hope he gets drafted but think for us is an unneccessary selection.

I'm feeling very positive about our team at the moment. My brother is a hawks fan, has been for a very long time - feels as if they're untouchable at the moment and expects 2-3 flags over the next 5 years.

We're cherry ripe. No doubt about it. Maybe, and I mean MAYBE, we're a year ahead, but I think we can win the flag next year. I'd not be surprised. We've drafted, VERY well in the 1st round over the past few year. To be honest, even give 20/20 hind-sight, the only pick over the past 4 years that I'd change is Ray. The rest are good choices. Clayton was a good recruiter. I'm not sorry to say good-bye, but we don't have a replacement, so we'll see what happens from here on it.

In the end, our last 4 drafts have had first rounders of (if you include 2008 draft) Cordy (ruck) Grant (ff), Everitt - (Chb, HBF, Wing, FF - so versitile it's not funny), Williams, CHB.

Our team has a good spine.

Lake, Williams, Hudson/Cordy, Murphy/Boumann, Grant.

We're cherry ripe.

I'm a negative person, for intents and purposes. But, in reality, we've got a good spine. And I look at guys like Hill, Harbrow, Cross (B&F winner!!!!), Cooney (brownlow!!!), Griffen, Gilbeee!!!!, Higgins!!

We're set. Ok, depth may be an issue. But, without a doubt, we have some absolutely amazing footballers in our team. Amazing. Guns.

If they all come on, we'll be unstoppable for 10 years to come.

If some of them come on, we'll be unstoppable for 5 years to come.

If 1 of them come on, we MIGHT win a flag.

Yes, I'm absolutely battered at the moment - I blame TESCO for cheap booze!!!

GO THE DOGGIES! I WILL ALWAYS BE A SUPPORTER!!!
You've made me want to burst through a brick wall after reading that. I like your confidence... :thumbsu:

Kade Klemke - Small Defender - 180cm, 78kg - Murray Bushrangers, NSW
Would love to have this bloke at the club although not necessarily what we need. A bit like Gilbee but more physical and not as nicer kick

Tough hard at it half back/wing. Goes in hard, tackles hard and enjoys the physical aspects of the game. Is not overly quick but does have a little dash which along with his strength helps him break away from the opposition very strong around the hips. His work rate and tackling is very good and he finds a lot of the ball and keeps going all day. Chooses good options with his hand ball and kicks. He reads the play very well and has very good leadership ability (captain of the murray bushrangers) and by all reports a real nice kid.

Yes great recruiting ... how many flags is that I must have missed something

how stupid are you? honestly i think the only reason u bring up this "how many flags" is because u just wanna piss ppl off. How can u expect 3 or 4 young players ready to expect a premiership from? get some perspective

how stupid are you? honestly i think the only reason u bring up this "how many flags" is because u just wanna piss ppl off. How can u expect 3 or 4 young players ready to expect a premiership from? get some perspective

How stupid .... well I spend time on this in this forum says it all really.

Post after post about how well we recruit yet we are the worst performed club in the history of the VFL/AFL ..just a little KPI that seems to escape a few including you.

By the way you are name calling etc have a chat to Borgsta

"he actually stacks up right up there with the best of them!!!!"

Both you and Borgsta have totally miss cued.

Your quote that he ie Clayton is up there with the best ...

LIKE WHO is he up there with !

Stephen Wells of Geelong is fairly well considered the top man I suppose.

Lets compare them, shall we?

More than a third of their premiership side were either father/son (2 x Abletts, Scarlett), trades (Harley, Mooney, Ottens) or before Wells arrived (King, Milburn).

Kelly (17), Johnson (24), Chapman (31), Ling (38), Enright (47) & Rooke (rookie) were good picks. Were they better selections than Giansiracusa (32), Hahn (37), Gilbee (47), Cross (56), Harris (71), Boyd (rookie) & Morris (rookie)?

Clayton missed with Power (10), Wells missed with Spriggs (15).
Clayton missed with Faulkner (17), Wells missed with Bray (17).
Clayton missed with Jesse Wells (22), Wells missed with Foster (23).

Tim Walsh (4) was our big disaster, but this had as much to do with a broken leg, broken thumb and an ACL than anything to do with ability.

Farren Ray (4) was a dud, so is Kane Tenace (7) (must be borderline delisting this year) so that evens that out.

Even their 4 top ten picks in last years grand final side can be compared to their closest draft pick - Selwood (7) or Griffen (3), Mackie (7) or Williams (6), Bartel (8) or Murphy (13).

Corey (8) over McMahon (10) is the only major difference.

Not a real lot between Wells and Clayton, is there?

PS. I haven't included Cooney because that pick was a no-brainer.

"he actually stacks up right up there with the best of them!!!!"

Both you and Borgsta have totally miss cued.

Your quote that he ie Clayton is up there with the best ...

LIKE WHO is he up there with !
Name any recruiter in the business - they'll have screw ups in the first, second and third rounds.

Clayton has picked what, 50 players in his time with us? Just in terms of sheer weight of numbers (existing players taking spots, list limits, players being traded in), a large percentage of players being delisted is a fact of life.

It actually says a lot about him that our 'discards' like Birss, Power, McMahon and now Ray all move on and are all likely to play 100+ games with their new clubs. In that sense, his ability to select likely 100+ gamers at available picks is right up there.

And lets not forget that his record has been against a backdrop of being the equally (alongside Fremantle) most short sigted club this decade. Give him the picks that the club has pissed against the wall (either via trade or drafting recycled players - Bandy, Bartlett, Rusca/Picken, Harrison, Koops, Rawlings, Morgan, Bassett, Saunders, Street, James), and the percentages say we'd have at least 4 or 5 more long term AFL standard players on the list.

In fact, I'd argue that for club with such a systematic habit of giving away the lifeblood of list management (draft picks on kids), the fact that our list is not in tatters actually suggests he's quite a competent recruiter.

Theres more to premierships than drafting, although drafting is obviously one of the most important planks. Obviously coaching, culture and facilities come into it strongly as well. We have been poor in those areas for a fair while.

Obviously our current coach and new facilities are leaps ahead of the previous setup, and I think this finals series was a bit of a coming of age for the current playing list.

Personally I think Claytons drafting has been pretty good, but could have been better. I think these days he is attributing more to footy nous and grunt more than previous, and downplaying the athletic factor more than he did.

Hell be a great recruiter for GC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks 31 & 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Back