Picks For 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing about fev is, that even if he only averages 70, he is bound to have those games with 100+ scores where he kicks a big bag that will really bump his price up nicely for an easy upgrade.

Yeh, you would need him to back up a big one with an 80 or 90, just as long as his big scores didn't follow a 30 or something similar. I am sure he will do it during some stage of the season but when is the question? The good thing about him though, is he is unlikely to lose any value, however, the R4 bye is a bit of a pain in the arse. Especially if you got him for the sole reason to upgrade him when he peaks.

The other thing about Fev is that is he does average 70 he is going to have some stinkers which will make him harder to upgrade. 2 sides to that coin lakey.
We also still don't really know how things will work with Brown. Last year had so many other things going on (injuries, off field issues, brisbane plummetting) that we never really got a grasp for this - going from the one key forward with 70% of inside 50s sent towards him to a team with two dominant forwards was always going to have some influence.

^ True.

But early on in the season we got a little taste I believe of what to expect when both Fev and Brown (and most of the team for that matter) were fit. This was the very short period where Brisbane won 4 in a row before dropping like flies afterwards.

Rd1: Fev had 10 scoring shots and Brown had 7.
Rd2: Fev had 6 scoring shots and Brown had 8.
Rd3: Fev had 4 scoring shots and Brown had 6.
Rd4: Fev had 8 scoring shots and Brown had 5.

We can't take a great deal from this as it was a very short period where they were only winning but after that I think Brown started to have groin issues and I am not sure about Fev. I do think that the above shows that both were still getting a fair bit of the ball and having plenty of scoring opportunities.

Now if Fev managed to go the season without injured I can see plenty of room for improvement in his current score. I guess some other players will be very important to this as well such as Drummond who sets up the forward beautifully when kicking the ball into the forward 50.

Another factor we need to think about is how Clark will affect all of this? If he does spend time in the forward 50 he could be taking away some of the ball that is meant for Fev and Brown and could bring down their scores slightly. It really depends how much time Voss/Brisbane plan on using him in the forward for as to how much it will affect Brown and Fev's scoring.

Anybody thinking about going for some mid-priced rucks? Players like Jacobs or McEvoy? I'm thinking about Jacobs, 'cause he's likely to get the no.1 mantle and could be this year's Mummy. On the other hand, it may be wiser to go two rucks you know will get the job done.

Anybody thinking about going for some mid-priced rucks? Players like Jacobs or McEvoy? I'm thinking about Jacobs, 'cause he's likely to get the no.1 mantle and could be this year's Mummy. On the other hand, it may be wiser to go two rucks you know will get the job done.

Not for me. May well be an improver but priced too close to the likes of Jolly.

tommy walsh could be a really good bench or starter if he gets gilberts backline spot which is quite likely according to the article on the afl site

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tommy walsh could be a really good bench or starter if he gets gilberts backline spot which is quite likely according to the article on the afl site

I'd expect Simpkin to get first crack IF Gilbert goes forward. He was mooted to go forward last year too but it was really only NAB cup. For preference though I would like to see Gilbert stay back where he is so effective with Walsh having a go up forward.

I dont think Gilberts move to the FWD line was as publicly declared and envisaged last season, and this year they actually have proof it can work (due to its effectiveness in the GFs) and Kosi has had another year down the gurgler. Changes also need to be made if they want to win a flag this cycle.

Not saying it will definately happen, just more reason for it to happen.

It seems Nicky Dal wants to add a harder edge to his predominantly "outside game". SEN has reported that he has been sighted doing some extra ball work to fine tune his "inside game".

One to watch closely in the pre-season for a possible role change. :thumbsu:

Just a few things

Goddard will likely only be a midfielder IMO and hes a lock anyhow or anyposition. DP would be a good thing to do if he is a MPP. Ill also say he will be the highest scoring player next year.

Jamie Cripps has porven himself at WAFL level so he should be ready for the step up to AFL. Also the role he plays is very similar to that of Gilberts. I think he will more likely start on a wing but hes a natural HBF running type. So he is every chance, also N.Winmar must be given a go next year IMO, havnt heard how he is travelling but hes also a very similar player to Gilbert, running HBF/wingman. Also having said this the saints may not need a replacment (Baker, Dawson, Blake, Fisher, Gwilt, Gram) even Dempster who was used there in the GFs.

With Gilbert i think if they cant find a replacment they may actually find that he is better served down back anyway. Although as Lakey said if they want to win a flag they may need to find something else that works and he could be one of those things.

NDS already has a very solid inside game and its quite underrated, wins plenty of clearances and hard balls. Because he has been seen to pull out a few times and his main game as an outside player seen more with his dazzling skills people tend to think he doesnt play inside. He does and further increased inside work will affect his scoring negativily IMO.

As for rucks im unsure and havnt looked at what Jacobs is priced at, but you wither want a ruck that is going to be a lock in keeper or a player who is quite cheap improving a lot, nothing in between, unfortunatly Jacobs may be inbetween. Although i think the winning team last year started with Leunberger and he was sort of inbetween, but i think he was still upgraded. Im really looking at going in with NO KEEPER rucks next year, i think the top end are all getting a bit old/fragile or some of the new guys are playing different positions. The rucks will be very interesting. Mcevoy is defintly a player im looking at.

Just a few things

Goddard will likely only be a midfielder IMO and hes a lock anyhow or anyposition. DP would be a good thing to do if he is a MPP. Ill also say he will be the highest scoring player next year.

Jamie Cripps has porven himself at WAFL level so he should be ready for the step up to AFL. Also the role he plays is very similar to that of Gilberts. I think he will more likely start on a wing but hes a natural HBF running type. So he is every chance, also N.Winmar must be given a go next year IMO, havnt heard how he is travelling but hes also a very similar player to Gilbert, running HBF/wingman. Also having said this the saints may not need a replacment (Baker, Dawson, Blake, Fisher, Gwilt, Gram) even Dempster who was used there in the GFs.

With Gilbert i think if they cant find a replacment they may actually find that he is better served down back anyway. Although as Lakey said if they want to win a flag they may need to find something else that works and he could be one of those things.

NDS already has a very solid inside game and its quite underrated, wins plenty of clearances and hard balls. Because he has been seen to pull out a few times and his main game as an outside player seen more with his dazzling skills people tend to think he doesnt play inside. He does and further increased inside work will affect his scoring negativily IMO.

As for rucks im unsure and havnt looked at what Jacobs is priced at, but you wither want a ruck that is going to be a lock in keeper or a player who is quite cheap improving a lot, nothing in between, unfortunatly Jacobs may be inbetween. Although i think the winning team last year started with Leunberger and he was sort of inbetween, but i think he was still upgraded. Im really looking at going in with NO KEEPER rucks next year, i think the top end are all getting a bit old/fragile or some of the new guys are playing different positions. The rucks will be very interesting. Mcevoy is defintly a player im looking at.

Whats wrong with Jolly. 29 years old , hasn't missed a game in 5 years, averaged 94 over his last 10 games, priced at 80.

And Ryder. 23 next season, only missed 3 games in last 4 years averaged 91 over last 16 in 2010. Priced at 86.

Both could be suited by new sub rule for differing reasons. Jolly because he thrives on running out the vast majority of the game in the ruck and Ryder because he is effective up forward so should get plenty of TOG.

No doubt Ollies they are the two that stand out. Throw in Cox and Petrie and they are the four worth considering. Jacobs is way to high in price to consider and mumford is still affected by the knee

Extra backs:

It makes the backs really interesting next year.

You have Goddard, Gibbs, Deledio, Kelly, Broughton, Gram all on the rise. Enright, Gilbert, Scotland, Shaw have problems with age/tag. Lake/Murphy a ? over fitness, Rawlings unsure of his role with Richardson into the team.

Kelly might not be a back, played midfield a fair bit. goddard gibbs and deledio will be very popular, gram has upside, broughton seems a bit risky. Gilbert was getting mroe attention at the end and playing up forward, both hurt his scoring.

I just locked in Deledio and Gibbs down back. Will be interesting how the DP is used, will probably select Goddard in the mids, unless there is a good cheap DPP in the mids that can switch with Goddard.

Yeh those two rucks in Jolly and Ryder are pretty good options. No doubt that Jolly is ageing but he doesnt have much to compete with in the ruck at collingwood, although they did get a new VFL player, but hes likely just to be backup. Ryder played 86% last year which is quite high similar to Sandilands so i dont know how much more TOG he can play. Petrie has to be a lock in the rucks next year, so there is only one position available in the rucks. ATM im either going cheap with Mcevoy because i think he will play 22 if fit and also there is going to be plenty of good back up in the rucks (Campbell, Bailey, Z.Smith or M.Daw through DPP) or Jolly who only played 78% TOG i think that will rise quite alot next year.

Also be interesting with HMAC and if Goldstein doesnt play much due to new sub rule and he rotates with Petrie, his avg dropped 10 from last year and would rise if he rotates forward more with Petrie. Also M.Clark should be playing alot of TOG next year and we all know his scoring dropped a fair bit.

Petrie has to be a lock in the rucks next year, so there is only one position available in the rucks. ATM im either going cheap with Mcevoy because i think he will play 22 if fit and also there is going to be plenty of good back up in the rucks (Campbell, Bailey, Z.Smith or M.Daw through DPP) or Jolly who only played 78% TOG i think that will rise quite alot next year.

Wouldn't that make Petrie a lock as a forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks For 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back