Picks For 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhys Stanley is someone to watch, if he gets games will play predominantly as a forward. Club rates him very highly.

Quigley i think your underrating Caddy, Prestia and those likes. They are ready made top 10 draft picks especially Prestia. I think they will be getting games ahead of Stanley, Illes and even maybe Harris. I think Coad or Croad is a KPB so they wouldnt replace him.

Although i agree there are some other good rookies
back: Toy, Mzungu, Coad/Croad (GC)
Mid: Swallow, B.Jacobs, Atley, I.Smith, S.Blease
Rucks: Campbell, Z.Smith, M.Daw (MPP?)
Forwards: Darling, I.Smith (maybe forward), Callihan, L.Tapscott
Just a tip, before you tell Quigley who he is rating where and why, take a look at his mock drafts; from this year or any other, and you will see that the bloke is an out and out gun. Of course he isn't infallible, but unless you can say why he is under-rating Caddy and "those likes", just saying they are top 10 picks doesn't cut it.

Okay some bench options other than from the GC who I think could play early:

Backs - Mzungu, Faulks, Richardson, Pederson, Hibberd, Duigan, B Smith (?position), Heppell (will play for the hype and to keep the Essendon faithful interested), Nicholson

Mids - Beams, Polec, Bewick (not all of those guys will play but at least one is a certainty I think from week 1), Gaff, Wallis, Parker, Tapscott, Atley, Conca (with the criticism they got I can't see them not playing him). The other biggy could be Curnow who looks to be progressing better than expected and is a true rookie price.

Forwards - Krak (price and position ? but if he is a forward he is a must have), Weedon, Darling, Green, Callinan, Roberts.

Rucks - Derickx, McKernan (played one game in 09 and should be pretty much at rookie prices)

Now not all of those are going to play early but at the moment they would be my favourites to do so and I am sure more than enough will do so to take the pressure off you picking too many GC players.

defitnetly for me maybe even starting material

especially if smith is 120 odd like m0nty is predicting

why pay a bullshit inflated price for smith when callinan could and probably will score as if not better?

Lol Stig. I had to carefully consider if you were taking the piss there given how many of my mock picks were from left field this year.

:)

IMO more time on NBA and less on mock drafts. Give me Gasol ;):D

That said, agree with most of your summary Quigs, although no doubt a couple of smokies will jump out of the ground during the NAB Cup

Mr Quigley, mate i also rate the way you can handle a mock draft and without blowing too much smoke up you a$$ (although more than happy too!) im keen to cater to your brissy bias and hear your thoughts on a few of the lions' players for next year?

heard great things about clay beams - recently elevated to the main list, 3 goal/ 20-odd touch, near best afield in the shanghai game. creative inside mid and tentatively labelled the 'better beams'... how do you rate him?

joshy drummond obviously had the LARS op for his acl tear and i hear he was a slim chance for a game towards the back end of last season. i've read that the fitness staff have him on restricted duties so that he's polished and ready go round one. my superhuman nous tells me that he'd likely have enough time to be raring to go by then. have you heard how the man's travelling?

adcock and fev are two others that i'm very interested in if their bodies hold up. i've loved adcock since he moved from the back pocket to a midfield role (albeit a year or two only) a few years back and i know he's had a rough trot with a few injuries and the like. any word on how his rig is holding up? with a growing emphasis on flexible player positioning due to the sub rule, im hoping the man gets a more midfield-orientated role this year.

fev's a beast, especially since i've shared a beer with man (and he's much bigger than me). i've heard that he is/ will be further along in his groin rehab than jonno brown come the new year, plus he's way too undervalued to at least allow me to follow his progress. what are your thoughts on the man?

jared polec i have no idea about. apart from your draft opinions, do you have any differing insights into him and his potential next year now that he's in the system with the lions? is it the usual case of a high draft pick going to a low team equalling easy fantasy points? or is his fantasy game more likely to be stephen hill-esque than jack trengove-like in your opinion.

hopefully you have a few extra insights mate, like i said im keen to hear any thoughts you might have on these guys.

cheers.

Beams if he is picked is one you should definately be considered. He was extremely unlucky not to get a game last season and whenever he had to step up on class he performed well eg against Melb and in the interstate game. He plays a fair bit like his brother does when he is in the midfield and we know he can score. I would think he is every chance to get a game very early given the departures from the squad. One warning though is that he has played some run with roles and done them very well. He might not play as a close tagger but it would not surprise me if he comes into the side as a mid who will follow some of the tough inside mids around.

Drummond by the sound of it is pretty much in full training. I dare say they are being cautious with him but if they had to play games today he would be right to go. He is very important to the Lions go forward and will continue to pick up the forward tag next year. Accordingly I struggle to pick him in DT. SC though he would be well worth picking.

With all the injured players keep in mind that the Lions have run a broom through the S&C and medical teams because they deemed the injury list unacceptable. Hopefully the new guys can do a better job than previous group.

Adcock has potential to be a big bargain but it could come down to where he is played and if he can stay on the park. He is training with the main group and seems to be going okay. I have no indication yet if he will be moved to the midfield with the departures of Rischitelli, Brennan and Sherman. Personally I think it could be well on the cards and if he is get on him.

Fevola is still away from the main group but he has trimmed down a LOT from what we saw this year. That can only help him I think and with the way he will be priced I will have trouble passing him over. The Lions are working hard in the preseason on improving their skills (they didn't do any of this last offseason) and I think this will help a great deal with the delivery into 50 to Fev. If he is over his injury for round 1 get on him.

Polec I have no special insights atm. There is good murmurs coming out of the Lions but that is only to be expected. Given he has played seniors I think he can adapt quickly to the AFL and being a high pick I think Vossy will play him early. His game is not that close to Hill's imo and he wins more of his own ball. I see him going for about 70 - 80 when he gets full games but I am seeing him as a big reserve candidate early in the season.

The two who have been getting the most positive comments so far have been Redden and Harwood. Both could take a step forward although Redden is a bit pricey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Jurrah- he's entering his third year which means that he's ready to explode if he gets his body right.

Some player's name plus random statistic plus outrageous prediction plus obvious caveat. I will be all over him based on that, cheers.

Fev is going to be hard to pass up, though he really stank last year, but clearly injured. Redden is going to be very expensive, as you say quigs, hard to select someone whose not a gun at that price, though he was impressive.

Beams had an OK pre-season cup last year from memory, is one to watch, apart from that the Lions other prospects are probably injury prone.

The other name mentioned of interest is Rhys Stanley, showed good signs last year and the Saints will need him to step up to help roo.

Fev is going to be hard to pass up, though he really stank last year, but clearly injured. Redden is going to be very expensive, as you say quigs, hard to select someone whose not a gun at that price, though he was impressive.
It's going to be interesting to see how Brisbane set up their forward line next season with Clark also wanting to spend time in the forward line. It would be great to see Brown continuing to push up the ground but he's only getting older and if my memory serves me right he is going to miss a fair bit of his pre season due to surgery/recovering from an injury which means he won't have as much time to work on his fitness base.

It will be a strong three pronged attack if all three are inside the forward line together but I wonder how it will affect all of their scoring abilities.

The thing with Jurrah is that he is already scoring goals at a very good rate (41 goals from 17 matches) so even if he continues to score goals at that rate (not a given by any stretch) or improves it slightly that does still does not mean he is going to score enough. He needs to change his game style to be DT relevant and up his possessions and his cheapie marks. At the moment he can take a great spekkie but he can take a chest mark out on the wing, give a little give and receive handball and then bang it through. He needs to change his game style, improve his endurance and stay on the park. All entirely possible but still a big ask at this early stage in his career.

Stanley has a fair bit of potential but I am not sure how he fits with Kosi and McEvoy. Stanley will play next year but I am not sure he will get the consistent games that I would be after. McEvoy is the one that I am looking at instead of Stanley. With the new rules the Saints could well carry one ruck and McEvoy might be the best option next year with Kosi backing him up. Gardiner is still right in the mix and things are uncertain but McEvoy has shown some good development and he is servicable as a deep target if they wanted to rest him in the forward line in a direct swap with Kosi.

The thing with Jurrah is that he is already scoring goals at a very good rate (41 goals from 17 matches) so even if he continues to score goals at that rate (not a given by any stretch) or improves it slightly that does still does not mean he is going to score enough. He needs to change his game style to be DT relevant and up his possessions and his cheapie marks. At the moment he can take a great spekkie but he can take a chest mark out on the wing, give a little give and receive handball and then bang it through. He needs to change his game style, improve his endurance and stay on the park. All entirely possible but still a big ask at this early stage in his career.

Stanley has a fair bit of potential but I am not sure how he fits with Kosi and McEvoy. Stanley will play next year but I am not sure he will get the consistent games that I would be after. McEvoy is the one that I am looking at instead of Stanley. With the new rules the Saints could well carry one ruck and McEvoy might be the best option next year with Kosi backing him up. Gardiner is still right in the mix and things are uncertain but McEvoy has shown some good development and he is servicable as a deep target if they wanted to rest him in the forward line in a direct swap with Kosi.

I agree Quigley. Jurrah is a little too flashy and he will gain attention as soon as he starts breaking games apart - which more often than not will be when he is socring well.

I really like the look of McEvoy and I think that with more TOG he could be a great option considering the new 'sub' rule. It will be interesting to see who from the different clubs is utlisised in these 'sub' roles. I think if Jacobs hadn't have gone to the crows shaun mckernan would have been a fantastic pick up as he can play forward back and in the ruck and would've given some serviceable back up if we decided a ruck off. He may still be a good option and is classified as a f/b which is great for us DT'ers. The other one that I think will really benefit from the new sub rule is Ryder. Stats show that he scores really well without Hille and I think with Hille's ageing body he may be a prime suspect to be subbed leading to a little more time in the guts for paddy. However, he is already highly priced. Finding the right ruck who is versatile rnough to be used around the ground and won't be subbed will be a key to making effective use of the new sub rule.

Out of interest quigs, how do you think the lions will line their big guys up with luey, clarke and charman?

Leuenberger and Clark are a mile ahead of Charman atm. Unless there is an injury its hard to see Charman playing next year. Clark and Leuenberger are capable of playing on the field at teh same time with Clark likely to spend a lot of time at either CHF or CHB next year. Leuenberger is an endurance athlete who thrives with more TOG and the new rules should really suit him.

Charman also tends to play better with more TOG and him being on the field will take away from Leuenberger's game and I can't see both of them being in the same team next year. Leuenberger is a very promising player and a key guy for our future accordingly I just can't see us playing Charman. Charman has provided a few glimpses of forward proficiencies but has been very inconsistent in that role. Leuenberger is already the better around the ground and the superior tap ruckman. Charman neutralises the ruck contest better and if we had a dominant inside mid group that would be fine but as it is now we need a guy directing it to our players.

Cant believe anyone is considering Fev
Why?

Priced at 56 with a few recent seasons of scoring around 90. He carried an injury most of last year and has had surgery and looks a lot more trim now. He actually looks fit where he didn't for much of this year. The Lions have been a lot more focused on skills this offseason and that will only help with the entry into 50 which was a big problem this year. He managed 48 goals hobbling around the field this year with balls giving him no chance. If he is fit and the delivery is better he is good for at least 25 upside which takes him into the borderline keeper category as a forward. The type of guy who you can upgrade if you can but is not going to do a lot of damage if you don't. Relatively low risk with decent reward.

Seems almost everyone has said with the GC rookies, this is the year to go guns and rookies, however im still seeing a lot of potential in the mid rangers.

BACKS

Gram 360k (lower due to injury, very durable 4 seasons before that)
Hargrave 328k (9 when injured dragged down average, finished well)
Ellis 327k (finished very strongly)
S.Selwood 299k (averaged 88 in last 10, priced at 70)
Otten 175k (obvious)

MIDS
Vince 366k (Previously averaged 100, slow last year do to little preseason)
Tambling 244k (Previously averaged 90, now at a higher scoring team)

RUCKS

Josh Fraser 235k (can average 90, now gets #1 mantle)

Forwards
Voldt 403k (injured score and first couple back dragged avg down)
M Morton 324k (moved to mid and looked good, averaged 99 in past 6 games, priced at 75)
C Knights 230k (ball magnet, can average 85-90)
R Okeefe 368k (back to his 85 average with less midfield, will he pick up again? durable gun, too good to pass on at this price).
B Fevola 240k (can easily avg 90 if he gets his head right)

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks For 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back