Picks For 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

With BJ, Lids and Gibbs all DP it makes an interesting choice whether you select one in the midfield initially for rotation to cover byes.

Goodard could potentially pay his way as a mid but you do lose the number one back. Flexibility will be even more important this year

I think Goddard is great in the mids. Having Heppell(C/B)(or any other rookie C/B) in the backs tho is a must so you can eventually switch Goddard back and trade Heppell to a cash cow or a fallen premium after a few rounds.

I think Goddard is great in the mids. Having Heppell(C/B)(or any other rookie C/B) in the backs tho is a must so you can eventually switch Goddard back and trade Heppell to a cash cow or a fallen premium after a few rounds.

Of course, it depends of how things play out- but if Heppel averages well, it might be worth holding onto him as the 7th mid/9th back to cover donuts in both positions. I imagine with the extra bench spots, we won't be too hard up to find a rookie to trade down.

i dont think heppell will be that good

when you can have mzungu and richardson at 2nd lowest price why the extra 50k or so

mzungu and richardson are start worthy i.m.o

i dont think heppell will be that good

when you can have mzungu and richardson at 2nd lowest price why the extra 50k or so

mzungu and richardson are start worthy i.m.o

I think that he is just trying to find a DPP in Heppell. Should be a few players with the chance of DP (Heppell, Jacobs, Mzungu) ect.

Picking Goddard in the mids with Heppel on the back bench is a stupid move. It would be much smarter with the abundance of back rookies to pick Hep in the mids and Goddard in the backs. (actually it doesn't matter unless you are a structure person and will only pick a certain amount of premiums in each position)

Picking Goddard in the mids with Heppel on the back bench is a stupid move. It would be much smarter with the abundance of back rookies to pick Hep in the mids and Goddard in the backs.)

This!!

By starting Goddard in the backs you are able to secure more of the top scoring players overall. This is due to the top 20 or so players at seasons end generally coming from the midfield.

This!!

By starting Goddard in the backs you are able to secure more of the top scoring players overall. This is due to the top 20 or so players at seasons end generally coming from the midfield.

Techincally, with Goddard in the mids and Heppel in the backline- or vice versa- it doesn't matter where Goddard *starts* - what matters is where he is once you trade out the link in the other line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Techincally, with Goddard in the mids and Heppel in the backline- or vice versa- it doesn't matter where Goddard *starts* - what matters is where he is once you trade out the link in the other line.

Yeh, this is true.

I guess it comes down to ur intention then. If you start him in the mids and intend to have him down back come seasons end then it could be a good strategy. But I think even with this idea, you are still missing out on points at the start of the year because you will probably have to start an additional back premium over a midfield premium. For instance, say ur starting strategy is to have 4 back premiums and 3 mid premiums. You could go:

Backs: Gibbs (95), Deledio (90), Kelly (90), Broughton (85)
Mids: Goddard (110), Swan (115), Bartel (105)

= 690 points

or

Backs: Goddard (110), Gibbs (95), Deledio (90), Kelly (90)
Mids: Swan (115), Boyd (110), Bartel (105)

= 715 points

So basically you are getting the additional points from Boyd over Broughton. Of course this doesnt take into account the additional cash required in the 2nd option, so it is all dependent upon how this additional cash used (does it upgrade a midpricer to a gun or does it only allow you to get a better rookie on ur field/bench). Another consideration is the assumptions I have used which may increase or decrease the benefit of starting Goddard in the backline.

Yeh, this is true.

So basically you are getting the additional points from Boyd over Broughton. Of course this doesnt take into account the additional cash required in the 2nd option, so it is all dependent upon how this additional cash used (does it upgrade a midpricer to a gun or does it only allow you to get a better rookie on ur field/bench). Another consideration is the assumptions I have used which may increase or decrease the benefit of starting Goddard in the backline.

:D But I could have a team starting with 6 premium mids and you could have 6 premium backs and I would *so* beat you! ;)

It's such a bit consideration that to ignore it makes the rest of what you said before it irrelevant. :)

I guess where you start him depends on the rest of the players in the back or mids. If theres a player you really want in the mids because you can see them improving but with Goddard in the mids you cant get him - you than pick Goddard in the backs. The other way around if you really like a player in the backs that you cant have if Goddard is there.

If Jacobs has a good preseason, hopefully you CHAD may know a bit about ports pre season than he will be easy best 21. Although im a bit bias i rate him very highly. Hes ready made and port will struggle and need to play young players and especially mids/HBFs with what port have lost of late and will lose soon. Krakouer, Burgoyne'S, Corne'S and never really have they made up the lost of Wilson and Kingsley. Also think Nash is gone aswell. So plenty of room for him.

Good to see he has been given the captains old number in Treadrea, means something considering Treadrea would be one of the clubs very best players so far.

It is almost worth using one of your bench spots to assign to a DP player. Hoping that they play but knowing if they don't they are still valuable. Someone like Mitch Farmer from last year or one of the B/F DP rookies (not sure which ones).

It's a good point and one which a few coaches explored last year with Dylan McNeill, a DP mid/fwd at 77K. Basically just provided the link to have flexibility in the back half of the season. It tends to work better in mid season rather than creating the link with a cheap non-player early, more injuries to cover in the back half of the year where as you need as many rookies as possible to be generating cash early. Although next year will be a bit different with byes to cover from the get go plus extra rookie positions to generate the cash

Yeh, this is true.

I guess it comes down to ur intention then. If you start him in the mids and intend to have him down back come seasons end then it could be a good strategy. But I think even with this idea, you are still missing out on points at the start of the year because you will probably have to start an additional back premium over a midfield premium. For instance, say ur starting strategy is to have 4 back premiums and 3 mid premiums. You could go:

Backs: Gibbs (95), Deledio (90), Kelly (90), Broughton (85)
Mids: Goddard (110), Swan (115), Bartel (105)

= 690 points

or

Backs: Goddard (110), Gibbs (95), Deledio (90), Kelly (90)
Mids: Swan (115), Boyd (110), Bartel (105)

= 715 points

I think your example is poor. Deledio, Gibbs, Swan and Bartel are in the exact same positions for both examples - hence they are irrelevent. Keep it simple! I think its more in the likes of this:

Backs: Shaw (7th back = 80)
Mids: Goddard (110), 6th mid = 100ppg
= 290 points

Or

Backs: Goddard (110), Broughton (7th back = 85)
Mids: 105ppg player
= 300 points

In summary, with Goddard in the Backs, you dont have to carry Shaw but can upgrade to a 85ppg player (next in line) rather than a 80ppg player. With goddard in the mids, Shaw is the best available (80ppg) and you can drop your 6th mid for Goddards improved average.

10ppg difference = Over 22 games thats 240 points over the course of the year.

So, can having goddard and DP net you more than 240 points of the course of the year? That’s probably the equivalent of 3-5 zeros (Depending on strength of rookies), however DP does also allow you to play a higher scoring rookie at times. For example, if shaw goes down, through DP you could play a Trengove type rookie (75ppg) rather than a 50ppg back rookie. Make sense? This flexibility is undervalued IMO. Particularly when midfield rookies typically score much higher than backline rookies. Considering the DP will give you such greater flexibility, surely having goddard in the mids is better in this example - 240 pts isnt that much to make up, but plenty can be gained from DP.

If you have a massively durable year, or if a great backline rookie crops up that is in fact better than a midfield rookie (eg a broughton type debut year), or your midfield (back) rookie spuds it up and gets dropped, then DP becomes so much less relevent.

Did DP work in 2010? Not really. BUT, with the byes in 2011, DP will have more opportunities to be fruitful for those who follow it.

Food for thought (hopefully).

not sure if this question has been asked but if gary ablett gets mpp status next year will you guys be picking him or not???

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks For 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back