Picks for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

So.... what do you do with a Chapman...

Can he improve?
Is he too old?
Do you assume he crashes and burns?
Do you ride the increased ppg he offers and hope he stays injury free for as long as possible?
Is he even unique?
Can you rule him out due to bye conflict issues?

I think its always good to select them if you dont really seen anything else that enticing. Like last year an enright instead of a Broughton would have been great to start with. But you still need those players that are going to improve. Picking Deledio, Scottland and Enright with the thinking that they will all maintain their avg, be durable is dangerous as Dylan said.

The forward line intrigues me this year. I like so many premiums yet they probably arnt top end but i dont think people will be getting as close to perfect teams this year. Also doesnt suit to the bye round but if they improve as i think they will than i could find a lead early before the bye rounds than hope that everyone dies and burns in the byes and it is leveled out. The extra trades during this time will be available for me to adjust if need be.

I think picking premiums that will get off to big starts is important. If i think a premium will end up doing a Lids, Broughton avg well come end of season but start the way they did, than ill pass on those types.

It seems if you can get a fairly unique premium that starts well goes bang from rounds 1-6 than everyone wants to trade him in anyway. If they have a few down weeks after that for 1-3 rounds than it doesnt affect you as many trade this player in and you have already gained the bonus on them.

I wonder how many trades people will be using for Rounds 11-13. I have managed to rearrange my team so I would need to do 7 trades instead of 9, might have 1 ZERO in round 13. not bad, just got to control my trading from the start to round 10. Use as little as possible.

My major trading will be done for rounds 11-13.

I'll use as little as possible for Rds 11-13. I'd rather cop a few 0s rather than waste 7, 8, 9 trades in 3 weeks. People will hopefully be sucked into wasting trades during these weeks

Save your trades up to rounds 11-13 and then use them. If you plan it right you could do your upgrades during those rounds and reap the benefits. At a minimum you should be spending 6 trades and if you don't then you are throwing away 500 odd points to the opposition. Delaying a few upgrades a few rounds is not going to cost you nearly as many points.

It could actually be some of your second round upgrades.

A tactic might be to roll over some rookies after round 7 (5 pricing increases) and get some new ones in on the bubble (that have a round 13 bye) and roll them over after round 12 (5 pricing increases).

Possibly easier said than done. :p

Save your trades up to rounds 11-13 and then use them. If you plan it right you could do your upgrades during those rounds and reap the benefits. At a minimum you should be spending 6 trades and if you don't then you are throwing away 500 odd points to the opposition. Delaying a few upgrades a few rounds is not going to cost you nearly as many points.
Interesting thought, because by round 11-13 normally a fair few upgrades are done and some can be quite big such as a 60 odd averaging rookie to a 90 odd premium. If you were to do that early that would gain you quite a few points, something worth working out too see if it's worth it or not in the long run. Also would want to do a few rookie downgrades before then since many get games early and the later you leave it the less options you have.

Im considering a whole new look on 2012. What do people think of Wilkes from st. kilda and Dangerfield?

From last year all i want to keep is Swan, Franklin, Goddard and Sandi. They are all gods. Barlow would be there to if he didn't break his leg, but he'll be in my team from the start next season anyway(he will soon receive god status).

Dropped The Pav, StevieJ, Enright, Adcock, Goodes, N Riewoldt and Didak. Those guys brought me down last season. The Pav could be good but i'm going with Fyfe next year.

Im considering a whole new look on 2012. What do people think of Wilkes from st. kilda and Dangerfield?
Can't say I know enough about Wilkes to give an opinion on him but Dangerfield is certainly worth keeping an eye on.

We should finally see him move into the midfield, he's going to need to continue to work on his tank during the pre season though so he can spend a large amount of time in the midfield. He has struggled in the past finding "cheap" touches which means he can be prone to those shocking scores which can hurt.

Really hoping 2012 is his break out season, at least from a Crows perspective.

I think Dangerfields tank, long distance running ability is severely underrated because people are blinded by the fact he doesn't amass plenty of the ball. This is a false, i remember reading an article back 2 years ago and he was top 10 for endurance/long distance runs at the crows. I think he came 7th in the 3-4km run. To improve Dangerfield needs to find cheap possies, get smarter and be played at the centre bounce from the get go of games and left in the middle for longer periods.

I still have the 8 goals, 15 marks, 32 possess game in the back of my mind that he produced at TAC cup or VFL? level when he was 18.

I think he becomes the crows most damaging player and with that comes the tag unfortunately, that is the main reason ill stay away from him. He will still be on my list though.

I think Dangerfields tank, long distance running ability is severely underrated because people are blinded by the fact he doesn't amass plenty of the ball. This is a false, i remember reading an article back 2 years ago and he was top 10 for endurance/long distance runs at the crows. I think he came 7th in the 3-4km run. To improve Dangerfield needs to find cheap possies, get smarter and be played at the centre bounce from the get go of games and left in the middle for longer periods.

I still have the 8 goals, 15 marks, 32 possess game in the back of my mind that he produced at TAC cup or VFL? level when he was 18.

I think he becomes the crows most damaging player and with that comes the tag unfortunately, that is the main reason ill stay away from him. He will still be on my list though.
It's certainly one of the reasons Craig had him play in the forward line rather then in the midfield (along with the number of head hits he had received). When Bickley took over he spent more time in the midfield yet he wasn't able to play in there full time like other midfielders. He has worked on his tank no doubt having finished 1st in the 5min run held a couple of days ago but they did 2nd one 5 minutes after and he couldn't keep up with his first run which was the aim of it (while players like Van Berlo, McIntyre did). I think it was reported he was even with them for the 3min mark before slowing down. Now comparing him to VB is pretty tough considering VB would have to be one of the fittest players in the AFL but Dangerfield not been able to match his first 5min run (the aim of it) in the second run still shows he has a bit to work on imo.

It's certainly one of the reasons Craig had him play in the forward line rather then in the midfield (along with the number of head hits he had received). When Bickley took over he spent more time in the midfield yet he wasn't able to play in there full time like other midfielders. He has worked on his tank no doubt having finished 1st in the 5min run held a couple of days ago but they did 2nd one 5 minutes after and he couldn't keep up with his first run which was the aim of it (while players like Van Berlo, McIntyre did). I think it was reported he was even with them for the 3min mark before slowing down. Now comparing him to VB is pretty tough considering VB would have to be one of the fittest players in the AFL but Dangerfield not been able to match his first 5min run (the aim of it) in the second run still shows he has a bit to work on imo.

Its certainly something he will continue to work on, but i dont think its anywhere near as bad as what people make it out to be. That can be seen by him winning that 5min run, he still must have done alright if he was with them at the 3min mark. Always hard to match your first performace after some sort of fatigue, not many would be able to do it if they went 100% in the first run and as you said you are certainly comparing him to the yard stick for fitness in the comp.

Its certainly something he will continue to work on, but i dont think its anywhere near as bad as what people make it out to be. That can be seen by him winning that 5min run, he still must have done alright if he was with them at the 3min mark. Always hard to match your first performace after some sort of fatigue, not many would be able to do it if they went 100% in the first run and as you said you are certainly comparing him to the yard stick for fitness in the comp.
Certainly not, but the best midfielders could do that with ease and that's what Danger needs to get to. One of the issues with Dangerfield is he hasn't shown a great ability to find cheap touches so we really need him running all day and just going in pack after pack and finding his own ball if he isn't going to get a few cheap +6's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back