Picola & District 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Bang on!
what a joke this once proud league has become in recent years.
time to cut the head of the snake.
Having well credentialed players join the league in a controlled ( salary cap/ points ) environment is a real negative for the league isn’t .
Add to the list :
Ash Holland - Arguably the best ruckman in the GVL for the past 5 years ( Waaia )
Tim Looby - Rather recent Vic country captain ( Strathmerton )
Sam Wright - 136 AFL games straight off an AFL list .

Edit : added exact details

Last edited:

Having well credentialed players join the league in a controlled ( salary cap/ points ) environment is a real negative for the league isn’t .
Add to the list :
Ash Holland - Arguably the best ruckman in the GVL for the past 5 years ( Waaia )
Tim Looby - Rather recent Vic country captain ( Strathmerton )
Sam Wright - 136 AFL games straight off an AFL list .

Edit : added exact details

Tys $idebotton off to Strathy also now

If restrictions aren’t eased enough to allow football to go ahead after June 22nd what is the next step? What’s the latest possible start date?

If restrictions aren’t eased enough to allow football to go ahead after June 22nd what is the next step? What’s the latest possible start date?

Depends on how short you want your season? The current date of the 11th July works because it allows everyone to play each other once and have finals finished by the end of October to avoid too many clashes with summer sports. Personally I think it would be unfortunate if we could not play each other once ,however, does that mean we shouldn't proceed later with a shorter season? How long to you drag this process out before clubs & players lose patience? Unfortunately there are pros and cons to proceeding with and cancelling the season. Id say all is mute point unless Daniel Andrews' announcement on the 22/06 allows similar easing of restriction to come in line with NSW.

Depends on how short you want your season? The current date of the 11th July works because it allows everyone to play each other once and have finals finished by the end of October to avoid too many clashes with summer sports. Personally I think it would be unfortunate if we could not play each other once ,however, does that mean we shouldn't proceed later with a shorter season? How long to you drag this process out before clubs & players lose patience? Unfortunately there are pros and cons to proceeding with and cancelling the season. Id say all is mute point unless Daniel Andrews' announcement on the 22/06 allows similar easing of restriction to come in line with NSW.

Correct me if I’m wrong but regardless of wether cricket is played on a ground or not I don’t think footy can legally be played after the agreement with AFLvic and cricket Victoria of oct 17-18.

so I think there will only be 15 weeks from July 11th. Original press release said 13 rounds and 4 week finals but may have to shorten by two weeks. That’s if I’m right, but as my wife says I’m usually wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct me if I’m wrong but regardless of wether cricket is played on a ground or not I don’t think footy can legally be played after the agreement with AFLvic and cricket Victoria of oct 17-18.

so I think there will only be 15 weeks from July 11th. Original press release said 13 rounds and 4 week finals but may have to shorten by two weeks. That’s if I’m right, but as my wife says I’m usually wrong
It’s an agreement between cricket and football on who should have rights to the oval when both share a reserve .

My info is he will be joined by Murch -Tol James Milne .Also heard Tally gun Tim karalidis is training at waaia,these top sides are really building just can’t wait to see the league kick off crack !!!

Certainly looks like the above teams alongside katty and Rennie will provide some super footy

What's the season look like if it starts july 25th?

I think the biggest question is, could a season starting on july 25th still fit in everyone playing everyone once?

depends on finishing date. AFLvic and cricket vic put out a statement saying footy finishes on oct 18.

But if the board can find a way to use grounds that don’t have cricket then they may be able to play till mid nov.

finishing date will determine how many rounds plus finals. Need 12 rounds to play each other once I think.

is it a year to just play a final between top two or have a final four like Murray valley cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Picola & District 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back