Picola & District NW 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the time of the split NW was definitely the weaker of the two. If it weren't Waaia would have been NW and Wunghnu SE.
Things have changed since then. The biggest change especially in the SE is there are no 'junk' games where a team is on a guarantee to win (excluding Tungamah).
Both comps do a wonderful job in catering for their communities and the junior development pathway is the envy of others.

I agree I dont think purcell would be as dominate in the SE. I mean from memory didnt he kick 25 goals against yarraweyah a couple of years ago I really dont think he would ever kick that many goals in SE

Obviously people (sponsers) put alot more money into the club therefor the club can afford more quality players.. All im suggesting is if a club is so dominant in NW over 2-3 years they should be able to test themselves in SE. and a team not so in SE a chance in NW. dont have to agree but makes sense to me, if you were such a powerhouse in div 2 why not test yourself in div 1..
The issue is Eric that the bottom side has not consistantly been one side , whilst although a side may be strong in one grade they may not necessarily be in other grades or codes , footy/netball . Then you get the geographic component . For instance the only one trip for most SE clubs over 50 klms is rennie which for many is under 100klms .
It will always be debated , but I personally don't see any club majorily disadvantaged by way of ability to attract sponsorship other than probably clubs who are on the outter edge and not near a major town , being berrigan and Jerilderie and based on senior on field succes it doesn't seem to be effecting them at this stage although they have enjoyed a massive purple patch with their juniors over the last 5 or so years , which I think both clubs will admitt they know isn't going to last for ever .. Whilst strathy and deni are probably next in line based on under 14 success .

The issue is Eric that the bottom side has not consistantly been one side , whilst although a side may be strong in one grade they may not necessarily be in other grades or codes , footy/netball . Then you get the geographic component . For instance the only one trip for most SE clubs over 50 klms is rennie which for many is under 100klms .
It will always be debated , but I personally don't see any club majorily disadvantaged by way of ability to attract sponsorship other than probably clubs who are on the outter edge and not near a major town , being berrigan and Jerilderie and based on senior on field succes it doesn't seem to be effecting them at this stage although they have enjoyed a massive purple patch with their juniors over the last 5 or so years , which I think both clubs will admitt they know isn't going to last for ever .. Whilst strathy and deni are probably next in line based on under 14 success .

I agree with you with all grades may not be as strong, so what if it went off a points system "club ranking" could work.? If travel wasn't an issue.

Purcell over the last 2 years has played 36 games and kicked 358 goals, James has played 32 games and kicked 183 goals. Both playing in the dominant teams of their league, where upwards of 30 goals were kicked some weeks. No matter how much difference you may believe there to be between the standard of both leagues, surely 175 more goals in a 2 year period speaks for itself.
great effort by Purcell but i still think James to be the better forward. Purcells performance is largely due to jerilderie having a far superior midfield and ball is getting pumped into there forward line. Besides Strathy who still struggled the other 6 teams were very average. The midfield in the Se is far better right through the whole Comp.

Let's send say, Tungamah & Shep East off to the GV , OM, as a show of goodwill for being so dominant in the South East since the split winning 5 flags between them. Minimum stay of three years, send Jerilderie & Strathy to the SE Minium stay three years, Whoever wants to go into the NW goes, say Katunga, Waaia and bring the Summaria Gold Coast into the SE. Problems fixed.
Travel will always be an issue, some clubs based south of the Murray find crossing to its northern bank akin to landing on the moon, as for Purcell V James let's wait & see. My money is with the big bloke with the longer hair style.:rolleyes::D.

great effort by Purcell but i still think James to be the better forward. Purcells performance is largely due to jerilderie having a far superior midfield and ball is getting pumped into there forward line. Besides Strathy who still struggled the other 6 teams were very average. The midfield in the Se is far better right through the whole Comp.
Tungamah was far more dominant in the SE than Jerilderie was in the NW .

I agree with you with all grades may not be as strong, so what if it went off a points system "club ranking" could work.? If travel wasn't an issue.
Many of the SE clubs have members work live and have a lot of their juniors attending school in Shepparton . Moving them into the NW would see them clubs struggle hugely . I have not done it but would be interested to see the relationship between junior success and subsequently senior success in future years .
I may be way off and without any research and solely opinion I would think there is a fair correlation , likewise administration transitions .
On face value it would appear the clubs in either comp, who have put a lot into their juniors and had a stable administration, albeit change in administrators have reaped senior success .

Let's send say, Tungamah & Shep East off to the GV , OM, as a show of goodwill for being so dominant in the South East since the split winning 5 flags between them. Minimum stay of three years, send Jerilderie & Strathy to the SE Minium stay three years, Whoever wants to go into the NW goes, say Katunga, Waaia and bring the Summaria Gold Coast into the SE. Problems fixed.
Travel will always be an issue, some clubs based south of the Murray find crossing to its northern bank akin to landing on the moon, as for Purcell V James let's wait & see. My money is with the big bloke with the longer hair style.:rolleyes::D.
6 and 7 team comps ? Yea great .

Don't get me wrong Purcell is a champ
But would he have kicked as many if he was in SE?? Be good to see.
Purcell would still deliver at the SE comp. he is outstanding,, and don't forget he was very, crook for the first half of season 2014 and when recovered, kicked bags in the second half of the season... And I believe he is about 35 years of age.Whether the SE comp is better then the NE comp is for one to argue, but the point is theres not a wide gap in standard, thus another reason Purcell would be a gun in the SE comp.

At the time of the split NW was definitely the weaker of the two. If it weren't Waaia would have been NW and Wunghnu SE.
Things have changed since then. The biggest change especially in the SE is there are no 'junk' games where a team is on a guarantee to win (excluding Tungamah).
Both comps do a wonderful job in catering for their communities and the junior development pathway is the envy of others.
Should research one day as it would be interesting to see the sides who won the various flags the year before the split . I reckon clubs who are now within the NW might have won their fair share .

SP, here what you are saying, but .. at the end of the day, a gun full forward must still get possession of the pill and convert regardless of what standard league hes in, what quality midfield is present, what quality defence he is up against, game plans and it goes on and on.If a gun full forward was kicking 120 plus a season in a minor comp, it is most likely he would achieve this again if he moved to another minor league comp. But if he moved up to a major league comp he would battle to kick 75 goals plus, but that would be a top result at that level/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2014 there were two sides in the SE seniors with a. Percentage over 100 . Tungamah on about 290 % and Katty on approx. 150 % .
There were 4 in the NW and two on over 200.
This would indicate to me that the tail fell away a lot more in the NW yet the top sides were a lot closer . Whilst Tungamah and to a lesser extent Katty were far more superior in the SE .

SP, here what you are saying, but .. at the end of the day, a gun full forward must still get possession of the pill and convert regardless of what standard league hes in, what quality midfield is present, what quality defence he is up against, game plans and it goes on and on.If a gun full forward was kicking 120 plus a season in a minor comp, it is most likely he would achieve this again if he moved to another minor league comp. But if he moved up to a major league comp he would battle to kick 75 goals plus, but that would be a top result at that level/
How many did Strawhorn kick went he left Rennie and went to the MFL ?

Purcell would still deliver at the SE comp. he is outstanding,, and don't forget he was very, crook for the first half of season 2014 and when recovered, kicked bags in the second half of the season... And I believe he is about 35 years of age.Whether the SE comp is better then the NE comp is for one to argue, but the point is theres not a wide gap in standard, thus another reason Purcell would be a gun in the SE comp.

I think Aaron would kick his fair share in the SE. For those that say he is only kicking so many goals simply because of the midfield pumping it into the forward line have obviously no idea about football. He kicked 220 odd in 2013 and 150 odd last year. If its so easy whey aren't more people doing that. There is no doubt it helps playing full forward in a side that has only lost 3 games in the last 2 years but the fact remains he still has to beat 1, 2 or 3 opponents, then kick the goals.

I think Aaron would kick his fair share in the SE. For those that say he is only kicking so many goals simply because of the midfield pumping it into the forward line have obviously no idea about football. He kicked 220 odd in 2013 and 150 odd last year. If its so easy whey aren't more people doing that. There is no doubt it helps playing full forward in a side that has only lost 3 games in the last 2 years but the fact remains he still has to beat 1, 2 or 3 opponents, then kick the goals.

Who cares really if he could or couldn't kick goals in the SE we will never know all i do know is well done to the Picola League executive in joining the two leagues together to become one PDFL side to play interleague i hope all clubs get behind it and a great choice of co-coaches thumbs up to the league lets make it strong and showcase our league.

Who cares really if he could or couldn't kick goals in the SE we will never know all i do know is well done to the Picola League executive in joining the two leagues together to become one PDFL side to play interleague i hope all clubs get behind it and a great choice of co-coaches thumbs up to the league lets make it strong and showcase our league.

so Tungamah will be representing the pdfl you mean?

Not saying it's the only reason but I think it plays a big part and if you don't agree with that Charles you obviously have no idea about football

Who are the co-coaches?

When Aaron didn't play I suspect the same amount of footy was going into the Jerilderie forward line and no-one kicked near as many goals ?
E=""The Roar Is Back", post: 37006748, member: 37329"]When Aaron didn't play I suspect the same amount of footy was going into the Jerilderie forward line and no-one kicked near as many goals ?[/QUOTE]

Spot on..as I said, one has to still get possession of the footy and then convert ( easier said then done).When players like Purcell can do this it proves they have an extraordinary talent. They are few and far between, but the ones that have this extraordinary ability and performed over a long time have become legends in bush footy.
eg, The incredible Trevor Sutton, Graham Bland, Danny Irwin, Perry Meka, Ron Best, and Daryl Jordan to name a few.

So Obviously James for full forward in interleague then...you can make sure of that SP please.

Umm who is gunna tell Purcell he is carrying the oranges??

Geez only what two years ago I was whinging he didn't play in the 2nd year of interleague now he is dumped...How the mighty have fallen... :(;):D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back