Analysis Pies made mistakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

There was an interview somewhere where Davis said he would have played on if Malthouse was coach but I dont recall if that meant on a reduced wage or not.

The above sounds awfully similar to when when the club said Malthouse couldnt coach due to health reasons. I dont believe a word of it.

I don't believe that either but it makes no difference now.

Doesnt change my main point that Leon changing his mind at the eleventh hour left us with no cap room. In fact it enhances it.
Exactly. That's why I mentioned it because it does enhance the whole view that Leon caused his own demise not the club

Last edited:
Its general knowledge he was told his spot was "not guaranteed" ie he needed to fight for his spot.
BUT I'll wait for the avalanche of support from other posters here to confirm your fanciful idea that Dawes was told "he wasn't part of our plans".
I suspect that you will be corrected far more than supported.

Lol!!! Dawes was basically told to look for opportunities elsewhere. Trying to make out otherwise is beyond a joke.

There was an interview somewhere where Davis said he would have played on if Malthouse was coach but I dont recall if that meant on a reduced wage or not.

The above sounds awfully similar to when when the club said Malthouse couldnt coach due to health reasons. I dont believe a word of it.
Yeah that interview with Davis was in 2012, after the fact. I think that view was a bit of a throwaway line. By that stage Leon was back in Perth and no other AFL clubs had picked him up. Interviews att hat time need to be taken with a grain of salt

Dont think there is any doubt about Leon being offered a reduced contract when he changed his mind about retiring during the 2011 season. No doubt also that that put Caffs place on the line. Anyway it's all history and it turned out for the best as CAff has been of value. I am glad we didn't lose him.

Lol!!! Dawes was basically told to look for opportunities elsewhere. Trying to make out otherwise is beyond a joke.

Who cares? Trading Dawes for a first round pick was daylight robbery.

My recollection is he was told his position in the team wasn't guaranteed. Was not unreasonable after his 2012 year. Also think him taking a good size long term contract at Melbourne was reasonable. I wouldn't criticise Dawes or Buckley here although I would understand Dawes being disappointed about the coach losing faith in him.

My recollection is he was told his position in the team wasn't guaranteed. Was not unreasonable after his 2012 year. Also think him taking a good size long term contract at Melbourne was reasonable. I wouldn't criticise Dawes or Buckley here although I would understand Dawes being disappointed about the coach losing faith in him.

As I said previously, none of us were in that meeting so we are speculating. What has happened, has happened. Dawes was clearly disapoointed about the outcome of that meeting, thats a given..but whether he was given the marching orders or whether he spat the dummy we will never know. Most likely the truth is in the middle somewhere, but its really not very important any more.

I'm just waiting for one of the Mick Acolytes to trot out the "structurally important" arguement about keeping Dawes. In 2012 we could have used a runner to push around a scarecrow on wheels and it would have had a better year than Dawes. One of the best things Bucks did was trade him. Dawes was a great guy but a very average footy player.

Who cares? Trading Dawes for a first round pick was daylight robbery.

Obviously you don't but when posters say he left for money the record needs to be set straight. When told he was no longer required get got himself a $500,000k deal for 4 years so good on him.

Also whilst a 1st round pick sounds good pick 20 is obviously at the bottom end. BTW I think Dawes would have been much better than Lynch or White (both disasters) so package that up in your analysis of pick 20 being daylight robbery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly correct - what else could the club do but tell him to look elsewhere, given Dawes told them he was not prepared to fight for his spot.
A very sensible decision by the club - and VERY VERY poor judgment by Dawes who is now playing in empty stadiums for a dysfunctional club.

I'm just waiting for one of the Mick Acolytes to trot out the "structurally important" arguement about keeping Dawes. In 2012 we could have used a runner to push around a scarecrow on wheels and it would have had a better year than Dawes. One of the best things Bucks did was trade him. Dawes was a great guy but a very average footy player.

I suppose if we played Cloke at CHB in 2012 and he was terrible you would have traded him too............

Regardless of what he was told his leaving is only being used to whinge and moan. A first round pick for a bloke (as good a bloke as he is) who's stats in his last year with us and since he left are similar to White & Lynch - everyday of the week thanks. Two guys who are being used to bag Buckley. Why would we want a 3rd with the same output when we could get a replacement and a first round pick.

You keep pointing this out to people and they come back with - 'i don't need stats to tell me what i know' or 'I will go with my gut'. At that point you remember you have more important things to do than debate people who's only come back is that.

I suppose if we played Cloke at CHB in 2012 and he was terrible you would have traded him too............

That's a very poor analogy Krueger. Dawes changed from being a full time key forward to a key forward part time ruck. That's a lot different to going back into defense. It was his key forward work that stunk that year and I'm dubious it would have been much better without the minor ruck responsibilities he was given.

Dawes was a forward and destroyed by going in to the ruck. We so how bad of a footballer Keeffe was when he players in the ruck against Port in the final.

I really don't think Dawes spent a lot of time in the ruck tbh. Don't forget the flat palmed marking technique and how horrible it was/is.
Dawes just isn't up to being a dangerous tall forward.

I really don't think Dawes spent a lot of time in the ruck tbh. Don't forget the flat palmed marking technique and how horrible it was/is.
Dawes just isn't up to being a dangerous tall forward.
Dawes was on track for All Australian Centre Half Forward mid way through 2011. The elbow injury he sustained saw him drop off but which footballer hasn't dropped away with injury?
Dawes needed to stay but as the CHF.
It's the age of the list you need to take in to account. Guys like Wellingham and Dawes are now men and we've traded them for boys. By the time the boys become men we've wasted the list in terms of age profile. Guys like Pendlebury won't be in their prime together.

Comparisons were made between Dawes and Cloke earlier this season and Dawes was on top so those completely saying Dawes has failed at the Dees clearly don't watch enough footy.

Dawes was on track for All Australian Centre Half Forward mid way through 2011. The elbow injury he sustained saw him drop off but which footballer hasn't dropped away with injury?
It's the age of the list you need to take in to account. Guys like Wellingham and Dawes are now men and we've traded them for boys. By the time the boys become men we've wasted the list in terms of age profile. Guys like Pendlebury won't be in their prime together.
Lets be fair TG. He was having a good season in 2011 before he missed with injury. 21 goals in 13 games to that point. He wasn't in AA calculations.

Dawes on track for AA in 2011? He had a handful of productive games at the start of the season and was already trending down before he got injured. His output since that injury has been miles away from AA. And injured a lot of that time as well, despite not being managed by Davoren. Wellingham? Seriously, his output since he left us goes a long way to explaining why the club didn't fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Lets be fair TG. He was having a good season in 2011 before he missed with injury. 21 goals in 13 games to that point. He wasn't in AA calculations.
Wasn't just the 21 goals in 13 rounds it was the way he was able lead up and draw men from Cloke and double back. He was a running machine that gathered plenty of handy touches up there very similar to how Nick Riewoldt played.

Dawes on track for AA in 2011? He had a handful of productive games at the start of the season and was already trending down before he got injured. His output since that injury has been miles away from AA. And injured a lot of that time as well, despite not being managed by Davoren. Wellingham? Seriously, his output since he left us goes a long way to explaining why the club didn't fight tooth and nail to keep him.
Once he left Collingwood we have no control how he continues to develop. How is that relevant? Melbourne is a shambles of a club having said that Dawes had Clokes measure as a leading forward earlier this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Pies made mistakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back