Preview Pies Picks - Your Guess

Remove this Banner Ad

18. O'Brien
19. Kennedy
20. Garlett
38. Dick (just so we have the complete package again)
82. Currie or Pass
Need Ben Kearns for the LOLs if we're playing names.

I just saw a doco in which a juicy funnel web spider is caught and devoured down in its burrow by the meanest looking centipede which suddenly swarmed down the spider's hole. The poor creature had no chance against the impressive weaponry and size of the centipede. Fortunately your personal circumstances seem much more favourable than what the funnel-web's tunnel can offer in comfort and security.

I wonder if Spencer White, Kennedy and Currie will be around still at our selections. Something less sinister than the centipede will most likely have swooped earlier in the draft and carried them away. White did go at 25 in our PD, but could go later as in many PDs. Currie may go early although Adelaide is one team along with the Roos interested in him and the crows no longer have their fist 2 picks. They are good selections
Pffffffft ....centipede, doesn't scare me I'm at least 12.5 times stronger than them. Although centipedes rarely have 100 legs, so adjust my percentages accordingly.

And yes I want Kennedy!

MyManKennedy, I'm calling it BEFORE (if) drafted!:p

With the talk that the Dogs now almost certain to take Macrae and Stringer, I'm growing a sneaky suspicion Menzel may be on the slide.

Not too sure how many clubs would be keen to take the punt. The real danger would be GWS at pick 12 but stranger things have happened.

Menzel would be a dream outcome for me.

With the talk that the Dogs now almost certain to take Macrae and Stringer, I'm growing a sneaky suspicion Menzel may be on the slide.

Not too sure how many clubs would be keen to take the punt. The real danger would be GWS at pick 12 but stranger things have happened.

I think we can give up hope of stringer/menzel, both will probably be gone top 10:(

Free hit almost for GWS, don't think he'll slide past them.

I heard that he was in the GC zone, but they already had taken their maximum allocated players so couldn't get him... could be wrong
I'm not totally sure regarding all the rules for Gold Coast and zone/local talent selections either, but according to the AFL Record Season Guide 2012 "GCFC to have zoned access to up to five Queensland players before each of the 2010, 2011 and 2012 NAB AFL Drafts". Last year they took both Allen and Sexton, this year they have taken only Cameron.

It just seems to me that they would have found a spot for him if he was that good, but it might have been that having taken one zone player already, they would have to give up their previous round selection to land a second zone pick, and they didn't think he was worth that. I know they also had to reduce the number of players on their list for next season so it might have simply come down to a lack of available spots.

At a guess this is what we end up with:

18: Ben Kennedy
19: Tim O'Brien
20: Jesse Lonergan
38: Dayle Garlett
80: Alex Boston

Also in the mix: Sam Siggins (38), Matthew Dick (80), Daniel Currie (80), Emmanuel Irra (80).

*As a side note. Watch for James Stewart. We won't take him in the national draft but if he falls through to the rookie draft we can outright rookie him which would very much appeal but looks like a mid-late round selection at this stage.

Also in the mix: Sam Siggins (38), Matthew Dick (80), Daniel Currie (80), Emmanuel Irra (80).

*As a side note. Watch for James Stewart. We won't take him in the national draft but if he falls through to the rookie draft we can outright rookie him which would very much appeal but looks like a mid-late round selection at this stage.

How does someone with top 10 talent like garlett end up at 38 :confused:

You don't think optimism has out-ranked your finer senses in suggesting that Garlett will drop to #38? I decided not to nominate Kennedy because I figured he'd be gone by #18 but I bow to your better judgement. Boston I'd happily take if not gone by #80.

What I want:

18 - Jake Stringer (won't slide)
19 - Ben Kennedy
20 - Jesse Lonergan (or Dayle Garlett cant decide)
39 - Anthony Tipungwuti (might be too early but a genuine crumber yes please!)
80 - Daniel Currie

In the mix: Garner (18) Garlett (18)

That would give us a mercurial utility/mid, a big bodied inside mid, a quality inside/outside mid with pace, a crafty crumber with game and a mature ruckman.

Hard to pass up on Garlett and Garner both of whom I really rate.

I'd worry about key position players another year. A young key forward isn't going to help our depth this year. We have Darcy Moore on the horizon as a forward and I don't think we need much more than that in terms of depth and balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't think optimism has out-ranked your finer senses in suggesting that Garlett will drop to #38? I decided not to nominate Kennedy because I figured he'd be gone by #18 but I bow to your better judgement. Boston I'd happily take if not gone by #80.

Garlett could easily drop to West Coast at 45. His draft position is the real mystery for tomorrow night as Zyrus Manson was last year for different reasons. Garlett could go 2nd round, he could go undrafted. Don't count anything out and if available we might not even take him.

With Boston I probably wouldn't take him at 80. Nice footskills but I'm not seeing anything else that suggests he can find an edge over the next player. These days you really need more than just a clean skill set and I'm not seeing those extra aspects of the game that suggest he will be able to find/win enough of the ball to survive at the next level. That said I've got him in because like with the others the links to Collingwood are there and he is one I expect could be had later despite being considered mostly a 2nd rounder.

So have we officially nominated Stewart as a player we'll take as a father-son recruit in the rookie draft if he's ignored in the national and pre-season drafts? Essendon apparently did this with Tom Fields (but are now only likely to take him in the ND or PSD due to a lack of rookie spots)? And do you know of any other such players clubs have nominated?

I'm really hoping we end up with Stewart one way or another, just because I'm sure that we'll have egg on our face if he goes elsewhere and becomes a star.

Not at all. Remember this guy?

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/playe.../senior/season/2012/selected/bio/default.aspx

Was always rated a top-tier talent, but by draft time was the subject of some slider rumours, just like Garlett. Here's the 2008 Burgatron to give you the picture, Burgan has him at 35 but he slid to #53 in the end.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=70169

And then, after all that, and then getting sent back to Swan Districts this year by Lyon for failing to meet the requirements of an AFL player (i.e. being overweight), he kicked 22 goals in the last 10 games of the season and looked like a jet.

So have we officially nominated Stewart as a player we'll take as a father-son recruit in the rookie draft if he's ignored in the national and pre-season drafts? Essendon apparently did this with Tom Fields (but are now only likely to take him in the ND or PSD due to a lack of rookie spots)? And do you know of any other such players clubs have nominated?

I'm really hoping we end up with Stewart one way or another, just because I'm sure that we'll have egg on our face if he goes elsewhere and becomes a star.

It's more an option where we have a choice to if we want to in the rookie draft if still available.

With the national draft having not yet happened and no idea who will fall through it's down to Hine and his team to see whether there are others in the rookie draft we like more than Stewart.

With the club looking for a key forward to replace Dawes I see Stewart as a pretty reasonable project type to have coming through to add to those key forward stocks. Just not so sure the club share my optimism for Stewart's development and could very well say no again for all I know.

Essendon will take Fields with their final selection. Having not nominated him as a F/S any club can take him if they want but I'm expecting he gets through to Essendon late draft with interest minimal from other clubs. They won't take him due to not having any rookie selections left - with the intention of re-drafting Steinberg as a rookie.

I'm getting really cocky and greedy now. Also read somewhere Ben Kennedys' twitter prfile is @BenKennedy35.

Happy days.

18 Ben Kennedy - jumper number 35
19 Brodie Grundy - takes jumper 19 and dispurses with the lazy player mantra from past number 19
20 - Jesse Lonergan - beast who'll wear want he wants.
38 - Spencer White/Dayle Garlett

82 - who gives a ****? Hine will be creaming himself so much over who he has laready he's left the building and the AFL just passed on our pick.

Top 3 play in 2013 and so will Garlett, should it come to fruition.

A Grundy/Witts combo in years to come could be the best ruck duo in the AFL. lalalalalaalalalalalala. At Pieland. Who'd have thunk it:confused:

I kind of don't want Hrovat or Vlastuin.

People are struggling just to spell their names - imagine having to listen to the spaz commentators trying to pronounce their names.

18 Ben Kennedy - jumper number 35
19 Brodie Grundy - takes jumper 19 and dispurses with the lazy player mantra from past number 19
20 - Jesse Lonergan - beast who'll wear want he wants.
38 - Spencer White/Dayle Garlett

82 - who gives a ****? Hine will be creaming himself so much over who he has laready he's left the building and the AFL just passed on our pick.
If Grundy wasn't carrying a purse in the first place there would be no need to dispurse himself.

Emma Quayle has Lonergan going at #13 to GC so let's hope she is wrong cos I really want us to get him. Gundry would be an ideal pick-up if he falls through to us.

Just impossible to predict this year.

Logic says:

18: Kennedy
19: O'Brien
20: Lonergan

If you took away outside factors then Garlett gets taken at 20.

If I know Hine, expect a guy like White to drop at 20.

Nirvana would be Stringer, Garner or Grundy falling to our pick which is also likely based on late mail.

If Grundy wasn't carrying a purse in the first place there would be no need to dispurse himself.

Emma Quayle has Lonergan going at #13 to GC so let's hope she is wrong cos I really want us to get him. Gundry would be an ideal pick-up if he falls through to us.
THis is what is so incredible about this draft...some have a guy like Stringer going top 5, others have him late teens. Same goes with Wines, Jaksch etc.

There will be a slider I reckon. I'm hopeful its GRundy.

No doubt we have a few good kids available at our pick, but I would like a guy who was genuinely rated a top 5-10 pick. Those guys could be Garlett, Stringer, Grundy or Vlaustian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Pies Picks - Your Guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back