Bailey
Birt
Cosgrove
Paine
Drew
Krezja
Geeves
Hilfenhas

You'd take Ponting and probably even Hilfy out of that side surely!

Does anyone know if Rana is playing any 4 dayers for us this year?

Sounds like Cazzulino has made a good start down in Tasmania. But there is a better option at the top of the order in my opinion.

Mark Cosgrove has always played his best cricket at the top of the order. He did open the batting for Australia after all. Was named as the player of the year for Glamorgan in the offseason, opening the batting in all forms of the game and averaging 50 in both four day and 40 over games.

If history is anything to go by, then Cosgrove will probably average 40 no matter where he bats. But his impact is greatest when opening the batting.

Perhaps Cazzulino could bat at 3? That position seemed to be a bit of a revolving door last season too....

Could be an amazing side,

Cowan
Cazzulino
Ponting
Bailey
Birt
Cosgrove
Paine
Drew
Krezja
Geeves
Hilfenhas

i hate that over half of this seasons team is again likely to be re homed interstaters. winning is nice, but the objective of the tigers has to be providing a pathway to young tasmanians - not providing a home to guys that couldnt cut it elsewhere

i hate that over half of this seasons team is again likely to be re homed interstaters. winning is nice, but the objective of the tigers has to be providing a pathway to young tasmanians - not providing a home to guys that couldnt cut it elsewhere

I understand your point and as a young grade cricketer its something I once agreed with. However, I think it should give more motivation to work harder if you are a passionate Tasmanian to get the highest level.

I hear both the last two poss.

Tasmania is always going to be supplemented by imports to some degree but their is little point to having a state team made up of seven or eight mainlanders or elsewhere.

But Watts good for you is correct that if the Tasmanian grade cricketers are performing below standard for the national competition than it is only going to hurt the state to regularly put in sup par performances. Particularly with the possibility of a domestic shake up coming in the next couple of years.

But I would like to see any imports put some yards into respecting local cricket in Tasmania not just walk in for a pay check.

Teams for the week ahead:

National One-Day Cup
Wednesday 6th October 2010

Rhett Lockyear
Mark Cosgrove
George Bailey (Captain)
Ed Cowan
Travis Birt
Alex Doolan
Luke Butterworth
Jason Krejza
Xavier Doherty
Brett Geeves
Brendan Drew
James Faulkner (can play 12)

Jonathan Wells (left out?)

Weet-Bix Sheffield Shield
Friday 8th October, 2010 – Monday 11th October 2010

Ed Cowan
Steve Cazzulino
Mark Cosgrove
George Bailey (Captain)
Travis Birt
Alex Doolan
Luke Butterworth
Brady Jones
James Faulkner
Brett Geeves
Adam Griffith

Xavier Doherty
Brendan Drew
--------------------------------
So, who are the surprises?

*Good to see Griffith and Birt back in the 4 day squad!
*No Wells in the 4 day squad, but in the 1 day squad - Weird
*No Denton x 2.
*Doherty ahead of Krezja in the 4 day squad...

I'm not sure Birt will play in the 4 dayer.

Cowan, Cazzulino, Doolan, Bailey, Cosgrove, Butterworth, Jones, Geeves, Drew, Doherty, Griffith.

I think that team is more likely. Last season they always seemed to go in a bat short and play the 5 bowlers so I suspect they'll do the same here. Although I guess Cosgrove is a 5th bowling option that we didn't have last year so they might go with 6 bats. Doolan was solid at #3, I'd leave him there and bat Cosgrove down the order.

Surprised that Krejza is not in the 4 day mix at all.

Doolan had a good shield season but was forgettable in the one dayers. Maybe they will give Wells a go ahead of him in the limited overs games.

Cosgrove makes such a difference to the batting line up.

In the shield last year we had Bailey and Cowan, one dayers Bailey and Birt but we lacked that one extra genuine class bat to form an innings around. Cosgrove might be a fat ****, but he is good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well done to the boys winning the first one dayer in this new form.
great to see Cosgrove have a good debut also.

2/2 one day wins for a maximum of 10 points. Beauty!

Cosgrove is the man, absolutely killing it. Hopefully he can get us off to a good start against B Lee and S Clark on friday...

Anyone know how Adam Griffith and Denton are travelling lately?

Denton was one of our best 1 day bowlers last year...

13 man squad named.

PKF TASMANIAN TIGERS

George Bailey (Captain)
Travis Birt
Luke Butterworth
Mark Cosgrove
Ed Cowan
Gerard Denton
Xavier Doherty
Alex Doolan
Brendan Drew
James Faulkner
Jason Krejza
Rhett Lockyear
Jonathan Wells

Denton back but no Hilfenhaus or Geeves. In Hilfenhaus' case I expect Australia will want to keep him in cotton wool for the ashes.

Wells has just given us a selection headache for our next 4 day game.

170 off 213 balls, when he's played in the past he's often had trouble making the runs flow. That would suggest he is some seriously good touch considering Queensland made SFA before they batted. But Cazzulino made his second futures hundred and there fighting for the same spot pretty much.

What to do.... better than trying to find someone in form though.

Easy solution to this problem: Get Birt or Doolan to keep and play 8 batsmen:

Cowen
Wells
Cazzulino
Bailey
Birt
Cosgrove
Doolan
Butterworth
Faulkner/Denton
Geeves
Hilf / Griff

Hopefully we can get our premiership pace quartet back again (Hilf,Griff,Geeves,Butters) + Denton back

Good to see Hilf back in the squad for the shield match this weekend. Anyone know the status of Geeva? Haven't heard about him for a while, and he hasn't been updating his blog :( (I'm not usually one to read blogs but Geeva's is a classic)

Good to see Hilf back in the squad for the shield match this weekend. Anyone know the status of Geeva? Haven't heard about him for a while, and he hasn't been updating his blog :( (I'm not usually one to read blogs but Geeva's is a classic)

He writes for the mercury now! Every saturday!

great start to the year!

1day team v vics:

Tasmania squad: George Bailey (capt), Travis Birt, Luke Butterworth, Mark Cosgrove, Ed Cowan, Gerard Denton, Xavier Doherty, Brendan Drew, James Faulkner, Ben Hilfenhaus, Jason Krejza, Rhett Lockyear, Tim Paine, Jonathan Wells (two to be omitted).

bolded 2 omitted i think.

I'm not sure on the omissions. Those two make sense individually but it would mean we were dropping Wells, a batsman, for Hilfy a bowler and playing 6 bowlers in a format where you could bowl out with 4.

Cosgrove, +Paine, Cowan, Bailey, Birt, Lockyear, Butterworth, Krejza, Drew, Hilfenhaus, Doherty (Denton).

That would be better balanced with Butterworth adding a little more insurance batting wise, and he is certainly in form with the ball. Faulkner would be stiff but a one off rest while Hilfy is available is no big deal.

Dirty the shield game against Queensland was washed out.......they are hopeless.

Squad for the 4 dayer:

Tasmania: George Bailey (capt), Tim Paine, Travis Birt, Luke Butterworth, Mark Cosgrove, Ed Cowan, Xavier Doherty,James Faulkner, Ben Hilfenhaus, Adam Maher, Ricky Ponting, Jonathan Wells, (12th man to be named).

Cazzulino injured, Doolan left out for Punter.

Cowan, Wells, Ponting, Bailey, Cosgrove, +Paine, Butterworth, Faulkner, Doherty, Hilfenhaus, Maher

With Ponting and Paine back I get the feeling Birt may miss out and they'll play 5 bowlers. The attack looks a little pedestrian so the 5th option may be needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

PKF Tasmanian Tigers 2009-10 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back