Player comparison thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane. Swan is a star, and hopefully upgrade to him during the year but Kane has gotta be top 3 in the most durable in the AFL, scored 2000 in the last 5 years, and more importantly, priced 20k cheaper than swan.

Also, i hear swan is going to have very restricted preseason this year. Id avoid all together IMO - go Kornes - proven, scores well.

Comes from years of watching him play for the Crows. He goes in hard, but I'm about as good a kick as him and I don't even play footy. I remember watching him shank a shot from 15 metres out on a slight angle with nobody near him out on the full. And I haven't seen much Sydney, as I try to avoid watching them, but he doesn't seem to have improved much from the little I have seen.

Im a swans supporter and i dont rate mattner - he's good running off half back i spose but yeh, just not sure: never really took to my liking but thats just me. I would never consider him for DT, i try to avoid sydney players! Great players most of them, just not DT wise.

Im a swans supporter and i dont rate mattner - he's good running off half back i spose but yeh, just not sure: never really took to my liking but thats just me. I would never consider him for DT, i try to avoid sydney players! Great players most of them, just not DT wise.

Looking at last year, if you remove brennan since he will be classed a mid only not a back and roughead since he is a forward only, then Mattner becomes the 7th highest scoring back. I guess the counter is if you include enright now that he could be a back he slips down to 8th overall.

Still, based on last year Matter is certainly around the mark in DT terms. You have to play 7 defenders, and he was 8th. Certainly could be a top 7 back this year.

Let's just say the memories of Mattner at the crows aren't fond ones
gets the ball and everyone is like handball!!! handball!!
otherwise he will either run 25 metres and get tackled holding the ball or just kick it to the opposition
remember the same thoughts of Matt Connell and a bit the same with Chris Knights at the moment

^^^^^ very tough one

both have questionable game time certainty.

On one hand Veszpremi looked very promising last yr - managed to get a few marks, liked to kick the ball, and had alot of shots on goal. I think he could easily average 60-70 next year.

I havent seen alot of higgins, but i think he could also average around that mark too - spose his injury history (and a bit of supporter bias:thumbsu:) means i would sway towards veszpremi.

gumbleton v grant v rusling

Gees very tough they are all risky options
Grant - No experience has he played a game yet?
Gumbleton - who knows when he will get a game? and where will he be played?
Rusling - So bloody injury prone it is very hard to fit him in

Ryan Griffen v Jordan Lewis v Chris Knights v Bryce Gibbs

Gees very tough they are all risky options
Grant - No experience has he played a game yet?
Gumbleton - who knows when he will get a game? and where will he be played?
Rusling - So bloody injury prone it is very hard to fit him in

Rusling - has HUGE upside so at bargain basement price he should not be discounted. He may only be needed for 5-6 games, but still... you'll be wondering if he'll last that long. Is in the Pies' best 22 and I think could score best out of these three.
Gumbleton - An integral part of Essendon's future plans, will be picked if he's not injured. I don't see him having the same upside as Rusling, but he could score 60+ Could become a focal point if Lucas or Lloyd get injured, thus increasing his scoring potential.
Grant - Know little about him, so cannot really comment. In his second year, so he could be worth a punt, though he's not in the Dogs' best 22 and I think Yarran or Ballantyne would be a better option.

Back to...

Griffin - I dont think he will have a great DT year. His disposal is to good, and opposition will tag. IMO, he will be a better player then Cooney. He is extremly damaging with the ball
Lewis - Proven point scorer, just a question of can he get out on the field enough? I say yes
Knights - Also a good option. He is a ball magent, and I think underpriced a little
Gibbs - What more can you say? Averaged a shite load at the back end of season '08, and looks to be improving His break out year next season? I think so.

Pettard V Grimes

Pettard V Grimes

Havent seen alot of these boys due to their limited game time/number of matches, but im thinking about starting one and having other on my bench. Id do this because i fear one of them may only ever play - as in they are both vying for same spot in team - having both would mean your covered either way and i can see both averaging around 55-65. Think grimes has alot of potential upside with run he can provide - maybe play a simon buckley role of half back if buckley goes into middle more.

Steve Johnson v Daniel Giansiracusa

Gia
-Very good DT year, extremely consistent.
-Probably misclassified as a forward -spends time in the midfield.
-Is like Dane Swan - spends time on bench and plays as an impact player.
-The worry is he got a couple of run with roles, late in the season if i remember correctly?

Stevie J

- Scored well this year considering that stupid bet he had a bet with Cam Mooney for score assists.
- Geelong may go back to basics this year up forward and just kick the goals that are presented to them.
- If he just plays the game instinctively, kicks more goals and is a bit more unselfish he could end up being one of the highest scoring forwards.

*All of those 6 DT points that he gave to others add up over 22 rounds!*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs, what are the injury risks associated with Gia? I noticed that before the last 2 years he has missed a lot of games. Add to that his knee scare this pre-season, is there a durability question mark there?

Dogs, what are the injury risks associated with Gia? I noticed that before the last 2 years he has missed a lot of games. Add to that his knee scare this pre-season, is there a durability question mark there?

Yeh injury concerns made me quite cautious, but the fact that Gia has played last 2 seasons uninterupted sways me his way.

My number one premium FW next year will be pavlich, but its hard to know who number two will be - Johnson and Gia seem to be pretty even to me at this stage.

Daz I can't recall 100% TBH but I know he had some soft tissue issues between '04 and '06. Since then he's been good although pre-season this year he had a knee (medial I think) but got through that and played every game for the second year in a row.

Seems to have got his body a lot better in the last couple of years and has toughened up enough to play through injuries. Despite playing every game this year and last there's still a niggling doubt and he's not quite in the durable category yet because of the previous history.

Is that sitting on the fence enough?

Is that sitting on the fence enough?

Can see exactly where you're coming from Dogs.

Past injury prone type player, that still has that doubt hanging over his head. Has played the majority of the last couple of seasons, which is a positive, but at that price you'd want to be real confident in your selection. If you have that positive gut feeling, go for your life. If not, there's certainly some other nice options at the top end of the forward pool.

Can see exactly where you're coming from Dogs.

Past injury prone type player, that still has that doubt hanging over his head. Has played the majority of the last couple of seasons, which is a positive, but at that price you'd want to be real confident in your selection. If you have that positive gut feeling, go for your life. If not, there's certainly some other nice options at the top end of the forward pool.

Not really. There's Pavlich, who until last year had been durable then not much else. Franklin's played 1 full season but also had shoulder concerns. Riewoldt's injured every year. Richo's old and his hammy's can't take it, ditto for Chappy (without the old bit). It's been a long while since N.Brown has played a full season and we know we can't trust J.Brown with injuries. Rob Murphy isn't going to have a pre-season. Steve Johnson is very similar to Gia in that up until 2007 he has been particularly injury prone. Brad Johnson will never be a gun DTer again. The only durable one is Quinten Lynch who would need to step up (quite possible) to be a premium this year.

DW, whilst I respect that many of them do have & play with niggling injuries, many AFL players do play with minor/niggling injuries, you see it all the time. Though because the ones mentioned are big name players, they get the headlines and it gets circled around. Last season was a good example, Jono Brown was rumoured to miss a heap of matches, but what happened? He only missed one game. The year before that ('07), he missed none.

Not really. There's Pavlich, who until last year had been durable then not much else. Franklin's played 1 full season but also had shoulder concerns. Riewoldt's injured every year. Richo's old and his hammy's can't take it, ditto for Chappy (without the old bit). It's been a long while since N.Brown has played a full season and we know we can't trust J.Brown with injuries. Rob Murphy isn't going to have a pre-season. Steve Johnson is very similar to Gia in that up until 2007 he has been particularly injury prone. Brad Johnson will never be a gun DTer again. The only durable one is Quinten Lynch who would need to step up (quite possible) to be a premium this year.

I have to agree with you dazza wyatt. I was looking through the top ranked FWs and i didnt see anything definate other than pavlich:

Nick Riewoldt: 95+ three years running, missed just 3 games over last 3 years, injury concerns not as bad as first expected - 22 (2002), 22, 25, 14, 22, 20, 21(2008).

Matthew Pavlich: Perfect DTer, Best Forward IMO, Consistent 90+ averaged 4 years running, had played 6 full seasons in a row before 2008 (19 games)

Matthew Richardson: Ageing, only played 20+ games 6 times during last 15 seasons

Brett Deledio: Unlikely to be classed as a FW (heres hoping though!), only one year at premium average though, has missed 4 games in 4 years, MF potential

Lance Franklin: Could improve further with increase accuracy of goalkicking, 93.75 tribunal demerit points overhang, only one year as premium, missed 12 games in 4 years, hawthorn should continue to improve, good midfield service, fact that he can score very highly but also very low (58, 65, 66, 49, 78, 52) means he could be picked up more cheaply later in season - he scored bolded numbers consecutively between rounds 12-14 in 2008

Alan Didak: Missed 25 games over last 5 seasons, first year of true premium classification, off-field issues

Daniel Giansiracusa: Played two full seasons in a row, missed 21 games over last 7 seasons, first year as true premium, but 80+ 4 years running. Not sure if he yet has the ability to score 100+ consistently, nor pull the big scores of 125+

Paul Chapman: Missed 11 games over last 2 seasons! Has ability to score VERY highly though – last 3 averages are 101.2, 102.5 and 92.6 (2008). Injury risk is high, although if he manages to play 20+ games he would no doubt be top 3-4 FWs

Steve Johnson: Played first full season in 2008, over the previous 6 seasons he had missed 50 games! Injury risk is thus obvious. However like chapman, if he manages to play 20+ games he would be in the top 3-4 FWs. Averaged 90+ last two seasons.

Nathan g Brown: Never played a full season, missed 4/11/12/12 games in last 4 seasons, averaged 101.5 in 2005 (bit distant for me – think it is now someone irrelevant) although last year he managed to average 91.8. Injury risk is again, VERY evident.

Jonathan Brown: 85+ five years in a row, but missed ave of 5 games per year during that time

For me, Pavlich is my number one premium for FWs and is already locked in for my team. However the second premium for my team is less clear cut - if Deledio is a FW it will be him, otherwise it will be hard to decide out of Gia/SJ/Franklin and maybe even riewoldt. Premium FWs are hard to pick this year...

Nick Riewoldt: 95+ three years running, missed just 3 games over last 3 years..

Stay away. That's a very, very bad record.

Matthew Richardson: Ageing, only played 20+ games 6 times during last 15 seasons

Has missed 2 games in two years. Huge cause for concern. Though I do agree with you partly, his age and the amount of work he does around the ground is a little risky.

Brett Deledio: ..has missed 4 games in 4 years..

Again, that's hardly injury prone.

Lance Franklin: ...missed 12 games in 4 years...

Has come of age really and out of his last two seasons, he has only missed two games.

Alan Didak: Missed 25 games over last 5 seasons..

Would've played out the whole year last year if he wasn't suspended by the club. Had a nice form turn-around last year, pushing into the midfield a lot more. Seems to be where he is playing his best footy. HF pushing up onto the wings.

Daniel Giansiracusa: Played two full seasons in a row..

Says it all in the part I made visible. Still a little question mark hanging over his head, but if you like him, I see no reason for people not to get him onboard.

Paul Chapman: Missed 11 games over last 2 seasons!

Have to agree with you here, here's one injury prone bugger, mainly because he loves winning the contested footy. Can score massive numbers though, if he can play a full season you'll be reaping the rewards.

Steve Johnson: Played first full season in 2008...

Things look to be pointing in the right direction for Stevie. His attitude has improved significantly and thus doesn't look to be getting suspended anytime in the near future, which would've forced him to sit on the sidelines.

Nathan g Brown: Injury risk is again, VERY evident.

Have to agree with you here, you wouldn't feel totally confident having him on your side.

Jonathan Brown: 85+ five years in a row..
Has missed a massive one game in two years. After the media jumping all over him the last couple of seasons and consistantly reporting injuries, his last couple of seasons you can't really fault.

Great Source:

Wasnt saying they were all injury prone, just highlighting pro's and cons of players injury history/averages etc.

As i said riewoldt wasnt as bad as expected, im staying away from richo due mainly to his age, deledio i would jump on if FW, Gia is probably who i am leaning too atm, chapman and NGB are big Nos for obvious injury risk. So at this point I will probably go with Pav and Gia (if Deledio isnt a Fw).

I was doing some digging on riewoldt and found he has had some very slow starts:

2008, Round 8, Average of 73, Final Average 99.4
2007, Round 4, Average of 71, Final average of 99.3
2006, Round 5, Average of 86, Final Average of 96.7
2005, Round 4, Average of 76, Final average of 88.7
2004, Round 6, Average of 89, Final Average of 100.5
2003, Round 4, Average of 68, Final Average of 82.7
2002, Round 4, Average of 57, Final Average of 78.1

So instead of starting with riewoldt (who was tempting after seeing his injury history was no where near as bad as i thought it would be - media frenzy probably caused this) i think i will try and upgrade to him around round 5-6 if he has a similarly slow start.

chapman and NGB are big Nos for obvious injury risk.

So that's two out of eleven players mentioned that you're dismissing off the bat? That leaves the other nine players mentioned for people to realistically consider, if that's not enough top rated forwards to choose from than I don't know what, Fremantle are the most successful club in the AFL. :rolleyes:

So that's two out of eleven players mentioned that you're dismissing off the bat? That leaves the other nine players mentioned for people to realistically consider, if that's not enough top rated forwards to choose from than I don't know what, Fremantle are the most successful club in the AFL. :rolleyes:

JB
Nathan G - injury
Johnson - injury (missed 50 games over 6 seasons before last - not risking with initial selection)
Chappy - injury
Gia
Didak - only one year as true premium, dont like off-field distractions, missed 25 games over last 5 seasons = injury
Franklin - think i can pick up cheaper (see previous posts)
Dids - probably centre
Richo - age
Pav
Riewoldt - slow starter (see previous post) so will pick up later

ALL IMO - this is just my thinking, and its still early remember. With someone like franklin, I personally prefer to have a proven DTer as my starting premium who i know can perform - not someone who has been at the top for one year (although there are exceptions). I understand others who disagree but thats just me. JB is warming on me - especially with 5 years of 85+ in a row...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back