Player comparison thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was way too ambiguous putting CCornes as a defender, he was lucky to be a defender this year. I'm also uncertain about Goodes as well but I'd think he'd have a better shot as a Forward than Chad as a back as he actually played a fair few games in the forward line.

I would of thought Embley would have been named a defender as well, he played more than half the season running of half back.

Yeh well then i'll probably go enright (?), if hes a back lol. I just dont want to have 3 saints in my backline - gram, goddard, fisher - as i think its a bit too heavy.

Unless they have a role change which effects their scores I don't see it as an issue. If anything, Lyon has made a point of trying to free up Goddard and Gram. He even recruited Ray for that purpose!

Indeed, I was looking at Mattner, but i think i will lean towards Gram at the same price point if the Saints are trying to free him up a bit. He has been quite durable the past 3 years as well.

How about Cloke v Thomas v Monfries

Sorry, I've got no real insight into this one, so I'll spare you.

I do want to ask a new one Deledio v M Murphy.

I'll be picking one of these two. At the moment leaning towards Murphy because given his relatively lousy foot skills he's still probably behind Judd and Stevens in getting a tag whereas Deledio will get the #1 tagger every week.

However I do love the fact that Lids kicks a heap of goals.

How about Cloke v Thomas v Monfries
Cloke could be a smokey, and Monfries sometimes gets the job as a tagger, but for me Thomas out of these 3 seems the best option.
He will improve next year, and I can see him averging 80.

Dont reply if this has already been done but;

Boak vs Knights.

I personally think Boak.

Hard to tell now. After preseason deciding between players in that priceline will become much easier.

I would say boak on durability at this point, and because of reports that he is training well.

Reilly v Foley (reminder reilly is 50k less)

Cloke could be a smokey, and Monfries sometimes gets the job as a tagger, but for me Thomas out of these 3 seems the best option.
He will improve next year, and I can see him averging 80.

Dont reply if this has already been done but;

Boak vs Knights.

I personally think Boak.

Well I hate the cows and love the power so obviously i will say Boak as well ;) Knights has DT potential, but seems to have durability question marks. At only $200 more roughly i think Boak should increase his average, more cemented in his spot in the side and is a top 5 pick plus all the training reports point up for him.

On a side note, yes we are successful (with only 1 "l" at the end).

If Chad Cornes isn't listed as a back, i need to select from these for a keeper/premium Goddard,Bock,Shaw,Mattner.

Goddard, durable? would be my 3rd saint defender (gram and fisher)
Bock, will craig move him forward which kills his DT?
Shaw, can he handle a tag? has been durable except for the brain fade.
Mattner, durable, and if he increases average by 5 is a top 7 back.

If Chad Cornes isn't listed as a back, i need to select from these for a keeper/premium Goddard,Bock,Shaw,Mattner.

I only like goddard out of them.

Bock - if moved forward DT scores will be altered significantly
Shaw - tag and disciplinary issues
Mattner - not sure what having a fit kennelly/malceski will do to his scoring

All IMO though.

I think there are plenty of options though with newman, enright, birchall or maybe mcmahon or brennan.

Goddard seems to be the favourite in most teams on BF at the moment.

A lot of people have gone cold on Shaw because he burnt most teams in 2008. The tags killed him, but surely he will improve his fitness during PS and he's still young, I wouldn't put him off, we all know he is capable. Is he worth the risk though? He might be, if you believe the Defenders lack quality.

Goddard seems to be the favourite in most teams on BF at the moment.

A lot of people have gone cold on Shaw because he burnt most teams in 2008. The tags killed him, but surely he will improve his fitness during PS and he's still young, I wouldn't put him off, we all know he is capable. Is he worth the risk though? He might be, if you believe the Defenders lack quality.

A few points on Shaw:

a) I don't believe the defenders lack quality.

b) Once teams decided to tag him he averaged around 60 so there's as much downside as upside.

c) He plays a role which makes him easily taggable and he has shown nothing to suggest he can break them.

d) Even if he improves there will no doubt be some ridiculously low scores which will put him at a bargain price anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few points on Shaw:

a) I don't believe the defenders lack quality.

b) Once teams decided to tag him he averaged around 60 so there's as much downside as upside.

c) He plays a role which makes him easily taggable and he has shown nothing to suggest he can break them.

d) Even if he improves there will no doubt be some ridiculously low scores which will put him at a bargain price anyway.

A) Agree, hence the use of "if you believe".

B) He would have learnt a lot though as MM would have. He won't be in my starting 22, but is a potential upgrade.

C) Thats why its a risk, he may just need improved fitness or maybe 2008 was a learning year.

D) That goes with just about all players, minus your Bartels, etc.

A) Agree, hence the use of "if you believe".

B) He would have learnt a lot though as MM would have. He won't be in my starting 22, but is a potential upgrade.

C) Thats why its a risk, he may just need improved fitness or maybe 2008 was a learning year.

D) That goes with just about all players, minus your Bartels, etc

I could be wrong here but I've always thought he had excellent endurance. Nothing to back this up but he just seems to be one of the hardest working players on the field.

How many players who averaged 80+ had 5 scores of 40 or less?

I could be wrong here but I've always thought he had excellent endurance. Nothing to back this up but he just seems to be one of the hardest working players on the field.

Shaw averaged 98% game time in 2008 so there really isn't much room for improvement in that regard.

I think the general perception that Shaw can't handle the tag is a bit misguided TBH. He played defensively a bit more often than most DTers would like him to, occasionally finding himself at FB, and Malthouse seemed fairly content with that so long as Shaw's direct opponent wasn't causing too many problems. This could be misread if you're looking at it from a pure numbers point of view, but I don't think he struggled as badly as a lot of people make out. I know that doesn't help DT scores a lot, but it's something to watch.

I'm almost positive its a retorical question but i'll answer this one anyway:p.....

Only Shaw

Shaw had 7 games where he scored 100 and over in, @ an avg of 119.

Shaw had 4 games where he scores 80-99(inclusive) @ an avg. of 90.25

He had 1 game where he scored between 60 and 80 (70)

He had 1 game where he scored between 41-59 (59)

And he had 5 games of <40 @ an average of 30 :eek:.

I did some rough calculations in my head and i came up with Shaw having an SD of 32.8:eek:

I'm almost positive its a retorical question but i'll answer this one anyway:p.....

Only Shaw

Shaw had 7 games where he scored 100 and over in, @ an avg of 119.

Shaw had 4 games where he scores 80-99(inclusive) @ an avg. of 90.25

He had 1 game where he scored between 60 and 80 (70)

He had 1 game where he scored between 41-59 (59)

And he had 5 games of <40 @ an average of 30 :eek:.

I did some rough calculations in my head and i came up with Shaw having an SD of 32.8:eek:

That is very high i think you want players with a SD of 20-25.

Shaw averaged 98% game time in 2008 so there really isn't much room for improvement in that regard.

I think the general perception that Shaw can't handle the tag is a bit misguided TBH. He played defensively a bit more often than most DTers would like him to, occasionally finding himself at FB, and Malthouse seemed fairly content with that so long as Shaw's direct opponent wasn't causing too many problems. This could be misread if you're looking at it from a pure numbers point of view, but I don't think he struggled as badly as a lot of people make out. I know that doesn't help DT scores a lot, but it's something to watch.
That is true he did do some defenswive jobs, he has quite a nice leap and a decent spoil so he can play on players a bit bigger than him, can't remember specific games but i do remember him playing some defensive roles (either way not great for DT) and then there were some games like against the Bombers where people were tagging him and then he ended up having to tag them (Monfries for the Bombers - by the 2nd half Selwood for WC although he wasn't as damaging as Monfries)

We'll just have to wait and see what role Corrie plays in pre-season and how thats going to affect Shaw.

^^^^
Agree with you DWD, 32.8 is huge. From memory you said Franklin had an SD of something like 26 or 27 and thats still quite large. I wouldn't trust my head though, i'm quite sure it is something around 32 though and even if its only 30 its still a massive variation.

Fair effort if you can calculate this in your head:p. FWIW his standard deviation for the year was 38.51. It's important that you don't compare his consistancy to players that played 22 games (4 more than Shaw) though.

Sorry, I've got no real insight into this one, so I'll spare you.

I do want to ask a new one Deledio v M Murphy.

I'll be picking one of these two. At the moment leaning towards Murphy because given his relatively lousy foot skills he's still probably behind Judd and Stevens in getting a tag whereas Deledio will get the #1 tagger every week.

However I do love the fact that Lids kicks a heap of goals.

Not 100% sure on this but i thought that Deledio would be behind COusins/Foley for tags.

Not 100% sure on this but i thought that Deledio would be behind COusins/Foley for tags.

Foley struggled terribly last year with the tag IMO. Reckon he can break that this year though after a years experience and average close to 90? I think if richmond rise (which they are expected to), then foley will improve too.

Bugga, $500 short of Goddard. I already have newman,enright and birchall. not sure on mcmahon and brennan wont be a defender. Have to hope Chad stays a back.

Yeh mcmahon is a strange one for me. Only seen him play a couple of times before but to me he seems a bit lost and out of place at times with suspect disposal - Not that this influences DT, but it does influence my view of a player.

The Deledio/Foley and Cuz tag will be interesting to watch during NAB CUP but teams may not tag.

Their is plenty of value in the backs all over frome 320k and upwards.

H.Shaw 38.5 SD (THATS HUGE)
H.Shaw needs to do what Hodge does and thats play on a forward, so he doesnt get the tag. EG: when they play the tigers go to N.G.Brown or cats SJ or the dons (Mcphee). I cant see how he can get tagged if he goes to a premanet attacking HFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back