Player comparison thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, VB should be in there. Missed his name.

Van Berlo averaged 85, but if you remove the 2 he scored against sydney in round 17 (if fanfooty is correct) then he actually averaged 89. This means he is quite underpriced (by about 30k) and if he improves, he will be a certain keeper.

Boak: In the crowded port midfield may influence scoring
Knights: would be awesome pick up if he can stay fit
Lewis: bit too prone to loosing his focus, injury history
Gibbs: I see him scoring about the same next year, just cos murphy and selwood took the next step doesnt mean he will
Foley: Think he represents good value after going backwards last year and having more of a tag. Cousins is good for him (may release tag) and i think he would score well - less in spotlight now.

Also consider Adcock in this price range.

I will certainly be picking 1-2 of these players based on preseason form, though at the moment i would rate them:

Van Berlo
Foley
Boak
Gibbs
Knights
Lewis/Adcock

But thats just my opinion.

1) Not true at all, he still attracts either the best or second best defender, his presence in the forward line is huge for the Pies.

Glad someone else rates the big guy outside Collingwood

With Cloke, he plays the Lucas of a few years ago role (Lucas is closer to goals these day, isnt he?). The big lead up forward, racking up the marks.

Very big scorers those types of players

Glad someone else rates the big guy outside Collingwood

With Cloke, he plays the Lucas of a few years ago role (Lucas is closer to goals these day, isnt he?). The big lead up forward, racking up the marks.

Very big scorers those types of players

I like cloke, i genuinely believe he can take the next step. With a better FW line to support him he can lead up more onto the wings and get a few more marks etc, and i like his improved kick for goal - i think he might have less shots next year, but he will still kick 5-10 more goals.

Pretty durable too with 21 and 22 games in last 2 seasons.

I think Cloke is worth having purely based on the fact that he can become a premium next year. Even if he doesn't do this, he will still average around a 70-75 from which a straight swap could be done for a premium keeper, alterantively you could use him as some one to gain points for you whilst you wait for the expensive forwards like Brown, Riewoldt and co to drop.

I think Cloke is worth having purely based on the fact that he can become a premium next year. Even if he doesn't do this, he will still average around a 70-75 from which a straight swap could be done for a premium keeper, alterantively you could use him as some one to gain points for you whilst you wait for the expensive forwards like Brown, Riewoldt and co to drop.

If you buy him, it's as a keeper, if he becomes anything less than that then it's a waste of a selection/trade.

If you buy him, it's as a keeper, if he becomes anything less than that then it's a waste of a selection/trade.

I kinda disagree with this to a point.

Yes, it does become a waste. That said, the team I'm planning, in a perfect world, could contain 18 keepers.

Obviously I'm not expecting that to happen. I'm expecting the odd character to not step up as I'm expecting them to. Does that make it wrong of me to trade them out? Keeping in mind that these trades are in the strategy...

It appears a valid strategy in that your average "upgrade" requires two trades, whereas this would eliminate the need to free up cash first if your gamble doesn't pay off...

(That said- Cloke is on the expensive side of the spectum...)

But he's a lot cheaper than all the other premiums and you can be confident he will outscore Headland, Higgins, Davey and Lucas. By playing all those players in the hope that you will upgrade them to premiums you are in fact losing points by not playing other more expensive mid prices.

I kinda disagree with this to a point.

Yes, it does become a waste. That said, the team I'm planning, in a perfect world, could contain 18 keepers.

Obviously I'm not expecting that to happen. I'm expecting the odd character to not step up as I'm expecting them to. Does that make it wrong of me to trade them out? Keeping in mind that these trades are in the strategy...

It appears a valid strategy in that your average "upgrade" requires two trades, whereas this would eliminate the need to free up cash first if your gamble doesn't pay off...

(That said- Cloke is on the expensive side of the spectum...)

Yeah, I agree (especially as it seems you're going for the mid-price improvers team). My point was it sounded like he was content with needing to trade Cloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know why Tarkyn Lockyer dropped his 07 average from 103 to 81 last season? He is relatively cheap now and if he gets back to his 07 average he could be a very handy cheap premium?

At the age of 29, going on 30, I can't see Lockyer improving a whole lot from last season. With the Pies looking to keep playing Leon Leon as that C/HF, he will find it very tough to break into that midfield. Pendlebury, Swan, Johnson, O'Bree, Wellingham, etc are examples of some of the midfield depth they have down at Collingwood. Didak & Thomas I'm sure will also get a run in the midfield at some point so if he does get a few runs in the midfield, he won't be in there for very long as he isn't getting any younger or quicker.

But if you can see him recapturing his old form, by all means, jump on board. He has the DT record and experience to give you a solid option.

Does anyone know why Tarkyn Lockyer dropped his 07 average from 103 to 81 last season? He is relatively cheap now and if he gets back to his 07 average he could be a very handy cheap premium?

Different role in 2007 compared to this year.

In '07 he saw a heap of cheap outside ball all over the ground, especially on the back flanks and pockets which saw him have the most marks in the AFL for the season.

In 2007 he has 203 marks and in 2008 he had 118. This resulted in his kicks dropping from 405 (3rd in comp) to 293.

Unless he plays the 2007 role again he will not get back to that level.

I think its just mentality of lockyer himself. I just felt whenever I watched him that he didnt WANT the ball and that he wasnt hungry enough or working hard enough.

Problem for me is I just don't see any value in the DT forwards besides Pavlich/S.Johnson in terms of keepers. I'd rather just buy Lucas/Higgins/Headcase/AlwynDavey and play a rookie or 2 and upgrade too the keepers when they form slump. I was trying to find forward value out of Lockyer but the general consensus is that those days are over red rover.

This also allows me to spend big on my backline and rucks, whilst still having a very good midfield.

I'm not sure Headcase, Davey and Higgins can be trusted. All the premium/keeper forwards are above their 07 averages, therefore they don't represent more loss than gain.

Hey Lakey91, Brad Johnson looks tasty as he is down 13ppg from his 07 average, although is it fair to say his best is behind him due to his age? Corrie also looks good he is 13ppg down from his 07 average, and I don't reckon Collingwood wouldn't have traded for him for no reason. Could possibly be the Medhurst of 09!

Corrie also looks good he is 13ppg down from his 07 average, and I don't reckon Collingwood wouldn't have traded for him for no reason. Could possibly be the Medhurst of 09!

IIRC his 07 average was only from two games, so not exactly something to rely on. And in other years his average has usually been from 50-60.

All the premium/keeper forwards are above their 07 averages, therefore they don't represent more loss than gain.

I dont quite understand what ur saying?

Brad Johnson looks tasty as he is down 13ppg from his 07 average, although is it fair to say his best is behind him due to his age?

Johnson is one of my favourite players. He is the definition of durable - missed 4 games in last 13 seasons! He had averaged 90+ for 7 seasons in a row before 2008. Although he may be underpriced I think he may have to reinvent himself (like richo/lloyd managed too in 2008) to return to his best scoring. I think age is the biggest problem - injuries become more prominant (even for the extremely durable) and players often lose a touch of speed putting them behind in the scheme of the game. I think there are better options but i spose he may be one to watch.

Corrie also looks good he is 13ppg down from his 07 average, and I don't reckon Collingwood wouldn't have traded for him for no reason. Could possibly be the Medhurst of 09!

To be honest i havent seen alot of corrie. The problem is - yes he was 13 below his 07 average in 08, but in 2007 he only played 2 games so its hardly a legitimate average (im sure he would of averaged 55-60 like the rest of his season if he had of played a full season). PLace in the team isnt secure either. I spose he would also be one to watch, but with higgins, alwyn, lucas, connors, barlow, hawkins, j riewoldt etc all around that price range i think there are better options.

Problem for me is I just don't see any value in the DT forwards besides Pavlich/S.Johnson in terms of keepers.

You want to be looking for potential keepers. Premiums are pretty easy to sort out - just look at durability and past scoring really. Im going Pav and porbably SJ or Gia. From the little research ive done I think JB and riewoldt can be picked up earlier;). I think there are a few options for potential keepers in FWs though - Fev (better delivery, carlton to rise), roughead, porplyzia, cloke, thomas just to name a couple (i havent looked much at FWs to be honest). But yes i do agree, that their appear to be less.

The way I see it is:

Backs: Premiums
Midfield: Mid pricers/potential keepers
Forwards: Lower-Mid Pricers (higgins, alwyn, lucas....)

This seems to be the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back