Player Contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 22, 2004
Ferntree Gully, Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Here's a list of our players and their supposed contractual situations. Out of contract at the end of 2005 are in bold and my opinions on what Wallace and Miller should do about them.

Archibald 2005 - After battling OP in 2004, he deserves one more year to prove himself. [1 year deal - $60, 000 - $85, 000]

Bowden 2005 - Re-sign him for 3 years maximum. [3 year deal - $280, 000 - $315, 000]

Brown 2007

Campbell 2005 - Will retire amidst all the media pressure Wallace is putting on him.

Chaffey 2005 - Big question marks here with the recent rumour that he is battling OP. At 28, the odds aren't really in his favour. Most likely will be delisted.

Coughlan 2007

Deledio 2006

Gaspar 2006

Gilmour 2005 - Was drafted bottom-age in 2003. Indifferent 2005, interupted with injury. Is 19 and has potential, so give him one more chance. 1 year deal. [1 year deal - $60, 000 - $85, 000]

Graham 2005 - Has proven a revelation in the backline in 2005, but at 32 there are big question marks over his health for another year. He's been good for us, but with Kellaway to provide a post of leadership for our young defenders, I think it's time for Mark to give it up.

Hall 2005 - Has been a quiet achiever for us over the years, and is improving. His importance to the side has showed in 2005, and should be re-signed. [1 year deal - $145, 000 - $175, 000]

Hartigan 2005 - Was very good in 2004, injury has stifled this year for him though. [1 year deal - $75, 000 - $100, 000]

Hilton 2004 (extended to 2005 due to long term knee injury) - Now many people may not agree with me here, but I believe we should keep Hilton for another year. Has been good for us and is one of those players that when the game is gone he still tries. Potentially can aid to heal our lack of small defenders (his game on Medhurst last night was pleasing to see). [1 year deal - $140, 000 - $165, 000]

Hyde 2005 - This kid is a key part of the future for us. Was brilliant until the head clash with Maguire, and has recently returned to that form. [2 year deal - $190, 000 - $220, 000]

Jackson 2005 - After a promising 2004, he has disappointed a bit in 2005, but has been playing decent football for Coburg. [1 year deal - $70, 000 - $95, 000]

Johnson 2005 - [3 year deal - $275, 000 - $310, 000]

Kellaway 2005 - Is so important for us down back, but at 30 he should get no more than 1 year. Will he go onto the Veteran's List next year? [1 year deal - $245, 000 - $275, 000]

Knobel 2006

Krakouer 2007

Limbach 2006

McGuane 2006

Meyer 2006

Moore 2006

Morrison 2005 - Isn't up to it at AFL level. Decent VFL player, but that's all he will be. Delist.

Newman 2005 - Very important player for us in the future. One of our highest skilled players, which we really lack, and will have a massive 2006 for us. [2 year deal - $200, 000 - $230, 000]

Pattison 2006

Pettifer 2005 - Has improved and deserves 1 more year. [1 year deal - $160, 000 - $180, 000]

Polo 2006

Raines 2005 - Will be a very good player for us with time. [2 year deal - $100, 000 - $125, 000]

Richardson 2006

Roach 2005 - Question marks over his progress. Personally, I've heard he's been good at times, and bad during others. Give him 1 more year for him to warrant senior selection. [1 year deal - $70, 000 - $90, 000]

Rodan 2005 (extended to 2006 due to long term knee injury?) - Would've been top 5 in our Best and Fairest if he continued his pre-season form. Is a big part of the future at Tiger Land, and will be a handy recruit next year. [3 year deal - $200, 000 - $235, 000]

Schulz 2006

Simmonds 2009

Stafford 2005 - Is past it. Too often suspended or injured. Retire.

Tambling 2006

Tivendale 2006

Tuck 2005 - A must resign. Is the workhouse behing our midfield. Will win the Best and Fairest. They gave Coughlan a 3 year deal after doing so, so we should follow suit with Tuck. [3 year deal - $270, 000 - $300, 000]

Rookies:
Foley 2005 - Promote him at season's end. Vacancies will be there for this to happen. Will have a career defining 2006. [2 year deal - $135, 000 - $160, 000]

Thursfield 2006

RETIRED/DELISTED:
Campbell
Stafford
Graham
Chaffey
Morrison

Now I'm unaware if it is possible to trade a player under contract. If so, I would have thought that they would go to the new club, with their previous club paying out the rest of their contract. Can anyone confirm this?

POSSIBLE TRADES:
Tivendale
Krakouer
Pettifer

Feel free to critisize my estimated money offers with players, as I'm not overly confident of certain players deserving the amount I've put forward.

metallichris said:
Bowden 2005 - Re-sign him for 3 years maximum. [3 year deal - $280, 000 - $315, 000]

Have to pay him more than that $340k+

metallichris said:
Hall 2005 - Has been a quiet achiever for us over the years, and is improving. His importance to the side has showed in 2005, and should be re-signed. [1 year deal - $145, 000 - $175, 000]

$100k is effectively minimum wage. You don't get starting KP players for that. $230k

metallichris said:
Johnson 2005 - [3 year deal - $275, 000 - $310, 000]

Looking at $350k-$400k I would have thought.

metallichris said:
Kellaway 2005 - Is so important for us down back, but at 30 he should get no more than 1 year. Will he go onto the Veteran's List next year? [1 year deal - $245, 000 - $275, 000]

Not elligable for vets.

metallichris said:
Moore 2006

Moore might be out of contract.

metallichris said:
Rodan 2005 (extended to 2006 due to long term knee injury?) - Would've been top 5 in our Best and Fairest if he continued his pre-season form. Is a big part of the future at Tiger Land, and will be a handy recruit next year. [3 year deal - $200, 000 - $235, 000]

It would be insane giving a 3-year deal to a guy coming off a knee injury who has never been in our best 18 on merit. 1 year deal and make him prove he is over the injury and has a role to play.

metallichris said:
Tuck 2005 - A must resign. Is the workhouse behing our midfield. Will win the Best and Fairest. They gave Coughlan a 3 year deal after doing so, so we should follow suit with Tuck. [3 year deal - $270, 000 - $300, 000]

Has Tuck already re-signed? Thought he had.

metallichris said:
Now I'm unaware if it is possible to trade a player under contract. If so, I would have thought that they would go to the new club, with their previous club paying out the rest of their contract. Can anyone confirm this?

Players can be traded unless they are in the first year of their contract.

No you don't pay players out. A new contract is entered into.

metallichris said:
POSSIBLE TRADES:
Tivendale
Krakouer
Pettifer

Krakouer's deal is too good, no one will take him on.

Weaver said:
Have to pay him more than that $340k+

$100k is effectively minimum wage. You don't get starting KP players for that. $230k

Not elligable for vets.

Moore might be out of contract.

It would be insane giving a 3-year deal to a guy coming off a knee injury who has never been in our best 18 on merit. 1 year deal and make him prove he is over the injury and has a role to play.

Has Tuck already re-signed? Thought he had.

Players can be traded unless they are in the first year of their contract.

No you don't pay players out. A new contract is entered into.

Krakouer's deal is too good, no one will take him on.

What you say, is it true? Or is it your opinion?

P.S. I'm not saying you are wrong just wondering...because you know a lot which is good

Hilton to stay, van go up forward or back, where ever terry wants him and he will do the job

is getting better with each game and will finsih the year of strongly.

when is brown likely due back, cos pettifer should stay as he is the only small forward capable of kicking goals

Weaver said:

------------------------------------------

For Jonson? Sure he's Captain but he's hardly worth that at the moment.

Tuck and Coughlan, Bowden are much more valuable.

Hope we trade Johnson at the end of the year like we did hoggy. A first round draft pick would possible considering some teams will want to buy short term success. 2 middle range utilities would be just as beneficial in the 22-24 year group.

We might actually get something half decent for him.

Pray we can get a decent trade for kraks as well.

Bowden really should be one of our highest paid players now.
Two great seasons in a row. Superb leadership.

Have to agree with rodan comments. He played 4 quarters in the middle and must of averaged about 6 possessions a match before he did his knee.
I would think he would have to do a lot to get a 1 year contract even.

Would not trade Tivendale or Pettifer. We need steady improvement from these "ready made" players. With such a young list, we cant afford to go backwards in this area.

Some of the players you would offer 1 year deals will likely not sign without a 2 year deal. 2 year deals are a better way to go for us because if these players do improve, you get a year at below market value.

Hartigan must go. Skills are a real worry. Has no height. Has a little pace but is injury prone and lightly built. Players like this are of little benefit to the club unless they are extraordinary. He isnt.

Good effort metallichris.

Trading the captain worked in the past. Hogg went and we got Broderick and Gale. Hogg was constantly injured and contributed nothing to fitzroy. Its actually a good idea. We made the 95 finals on the basis of that decision. Johnson is on his way to being the next wayne campbell. Lets get rid of him while he is still worth something.

Rodan should go. He is hopeless and too short. Foley has his spot now.

Hartigan has no skills and is injury prone. Meyer on the other hand is very skillful.

Its stupid to suggest that meyer and tambling should go. They are both first year players. Hartigan is not. A ridiculous comparison. You do yourself a disservice.

sante said:
tigertime has no clue whatsoever :rolleyes:

If Hartigan should go then so should Meyer, Rodan and Tambling.

Trade the captain? Great idea :rolleyes:

Does anyone know who no. 44 for carlton is.

Neither did I until he took 7 marks and had 22 possessions against Wayne Campbell a couple of weeks ago. Set up numerous goals.

Andrew Carrazzo - 2nd year player - dropped as a geelong rookie.

Johnson is on his way to being thrashed by a reject in a wooden spoon side.

Fishfinger said:
Using that logic he's on his way to a heap of B&F's and AA selection.

tigertime said:
Trading the captain worked in the past. Hogg went and we got Broderick and Gale. Hogg was constantly injured and contributed nothing to fitzroy. Its actually a good idea. We made the 95 finals on the basis of that decision. Johnson is on his way to being the next wayne campbell. Lets get rid of him while he is still worth something.

Agree. let's trade all players that will only serve up rubbish like 7 finishes in the top 2 of the B&F and a couple of All Australians.

Maybe Rodan should go but Foley hasn't proved anymore than what Rodan has as yet and both are around the same age.

Hartigan has no skills and is injury prone. Meyer on the other hand is very skillful.

Its stupid to suggest that meyer and tambling should go. They are both first year players. Hartigan is not. A ridiculous comparison. You do yourself a disservice.

In his first year, Hartigan finished 7th in the best and fairest and was our best first year player. As it stands he has already done much more than either Tambling or Meyer have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tigertime said:
Does anyone know who no. 44 for carlton is.

Neither did I until he took 7 marks and had 22 possessions against Wayne Campbell a couple of weeks ago. Set up numerous goals.

Andrew Carrazzo - 2nd year player - dropped as a geelong rookie.

Johnson is on his way to being thrashed by a reject in a wooden spoon side.

When you consider the fact (not your strong point to consider facts) that Campbell played just over half of the game, you can't really say he was thrashed, especially given that he got 20 touches himself.

cant agree with you re hilton.....if we keep him we are saying nnmediocre footballers are ok. he has always been and always will be mediocre. bowden continues to frustrate. i saw him bounce the ball 4 times then ********e himself. i say maybe a 2 year deal at tops. chaffey is alos mediocre. jackson will be a gun as will rains. stafford definately to go, just will not impose himself any more. here is a smoky...you all know i say play the kids but i can tell you graham has been good and our backline is shizen. he can really play solid footy and is super courageous. we may need some steady head back there. my thoughts only.

Thanks for the insight Weaver.

Does anyone know the minimum amount that needs to be payed for the salary cap. I know it's 92.5%, but in dollars how much is that?

And Tuck hasn't re-signed yet. I'm 99% sure about that.

Interesting regarding Graham. I would like to see us develop one of our players whether it be Schulz, Pattison, Archibald.. whoever at that CHB position - it is a must. We can still do that with Graham in the side its just the coaching staff dont have the guts to try it this late in the season, which is fine.

Simmonds 2009 is probably the worst contract I see there. How could they have done that, Ill never know. Judd probably isnt on a 5 year contract.

To move forward, we have to start playing kids, like we said we would. Raines, Meyer, Foley are all very capable. Chaffey can go as can Hilton. We dont need them in our move forward.

tigertime said:

And delisting a 2nd year player isn't ridiculous?

One point with all the one year contracts that are being proposed what happens next year when these and about 13 other contracts come due, and we have a good year (?) we have the potential to loose a good portion of the club to the wolves

Lets Roar

Khan

p.s Three more possible wins to go, let not jump to far into next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back