Player Review vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't mind Anthony coming into the side for either Reid or Brown and play KD. I really don't see him as a KF, and after seeing O'Hailpin looking like Wayne Carey today, I think Reid and Brown could be big risks at this stage of their careers against the quality KFs.

I agree with you, 3 forwards who are more dependent on marking the ball could be 1 too many.

I like this idea.

Congrats on a strong win.
Really disappointed to have it blow out in the manner it did after it being so close in the third.
Dawes, the man is a beast. Great attack on the footy and can take a great mark unfortunately for him his kicking for goal wasn't great.
Leon Davis seemed to clutch his knee after going for a big mark in the 4th so perhaps that's why he was a bit quiter than usual?
Imo plenty of players for you ahead of Didak as best on ground as whilst he finished well or did the nice final pass into the forwardline a lot of it was uncontested stuff after others had done the hard work.

I must admit, i am in love with Darren Jolly, he is getting better with every game.

I have been watching the Pies since i was 8, but i have been seeing something that i have never seen before.

Our ruckman tapped the ball straight into the hands of our midfielders.

Wow.

The most important review is:
DAWES was very good. Another piece of the puzzle.

The rest is acedemic in the scheme of things but every time I watch Swan impose himself on a game I thank christ he sorted himself out and worked out what his strengths and weakeness are. There's a bloke who plays to his strengths. Is there a better 1 on 1 midfielder in the AFL?

i agree Swan is a super one on one player. All the commentators on seven were talking about was Judd when I thought Swan was just as influential for us.He single handledly got us back on top at the end of the third quarter.

Go over to the Carlton board and see what they are saying about Brock Mclean.I thought only Richmond supporters ate their young!!! Turns out so do the Scum!!! Its in "positives and negatives". Ha ha ha ha ! Go pies!!

I must admit, i am in love with Darren Jolly, he is getting better with every game.

I have been watching the Pies since i was 8, but i have been seeing something that i have never seen before.

Our ruckman tapped the ball straight into the hands of our midfielders.

Wow.

His ruck work is ****ing fantastic. He isn't getting as many hitouts as what he did up in Sydney, but his taps to advantage are the definition of to advantage.

He gives us 7-8 easy clearances a game due to his ruck work. He is really starting to find his feet. He was always going to.

Yep, it's no mystery to see that our clearances this year are improved to such a degree when you have Jolly and Ball in the team. Really great to see them both do so well.

His ruck work is ****ing fantastic. He isn't getting as many hitouts as what he did up in Sydney, but his taps to advantage are the definition of to advantage.

He gives us 7-8 easy clearances a game due to his ruck work. He is really starting to find his feet. He was always going to.

As soon as Jolly came into the centre half way through the 3rd quarter when Carlton were getting a run on, it just changed the dynamic.

OUT: Reid, Fraser, Macaffer/Davis
IN: Presti, Wood, Anthony

We seriously, seriusly need Wood in, Fraser was so woefull today, got beaten in every sense of the word. Davis needs to find some form/fitness and Macaffer needs to put together more than 2 quarters to play AFL.

Reid, shocking, was nowhere near O'hAilpen all day (at one point i saw Ball had to chase him). We really need Presti back, would have been a 75 point win with Presti in. Leacking too many goals

Go over to the Carlton board and see what they are saying about Brock Mclean.I thought only Richmond supporters ate their young!!! Turns out so do the Scum!!! Its in "positives and negatives". Ha ha ha ha ! Go pies!!
:D

- Jacobs = better ruckman than kreuzer....really impressed with him

- Jacobs better in the ruck than Warnock.

Interesting.

POS:
Ball handling particularly by Mclean
For the lulz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't read the thread yet, just saw a few people comment on Reid keeping his feet. I think it is a little bit of a problem, but it is being overblown and I don't think it was really on show today.

The thing I attributed it to today, was that he simply over commits in an effort to really kill the ball, and I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.

But I didn't notice him at all lose his feet in a 1v1 body contest, just a few times I thought he extended to really effect the spoil and ended up sprawled out on the turf. Needs to just ensure his balances his weight, so as to not completely fall forward.

Loved it when he streaked in front of Setanta though, stole the ball mid flight and pin pointed a pass on the rebound.
I think there is a lot to work with there.
Reid falls over as soon any pressure gets put on him and continues to make bad decisions, last week when their was no pressure he was ok but today he made O'hAilpin look like Kernahan so god help us when he plays on a good forward in a top 4 side.

Hi guys, congratulations. Whilst I don't think we brought our A game you were very good - perhaps it was due to your pressure but we played into your hands most of the game.

I thought Dawes was a huge difference in the match. He presented fantastically all day and we couldn't stop him.

You should also drop Davis, he has been terrible this season.

Reid falls over as soon any pressure gets put on him and continues to make bad decisions, last week when their was no pressure he was ok but today he made O'hAilpin look like Kernahan so god help us when he plays on a good forward in a top 4 side.
The Kid has only played about 14 games, give him a break, he looked great last week I don't think the match up on Setanta was a good one. And I don't think he was all that bad he made some mistakes but I think that Setanta's 5 goals were a bit flattering to him, he had a bit of luck. I don't think that Reid was on the ground for two of his goals either, although I may be wrong about that.

Bad decisions in what sense? Surely not in terms of his disposal?

I'll have to watch the tape, I never noticed Setenta genuinely outbody him and take a mark though. The majority of his goals stemmed from quick ball on the rebound and he got hit lace out, plus one from a silly 50 metre. Pretty sure he wasn't even on O'hAilpin for one or two of them

What's with the group of people who are so determined to can this kid after 2-3 AFL games, in a position that was virtually foreign to him a year ago. Even Tarrant looked questionable as a defender for 6 months at the top level when he moved to the back line and that was as a seasoned veteran of the game.

I've certainly seen more than enough to believe he is worth persisting with, his kicking alone is enough to show me that.

A very solid team effort today.

I was really pleased with Dawes, Sidey, Johnson, Ball, Swanny and Pendles.

Reid and Brown did some nice things and they keep showing something every week.

Beams is just a champ.

Snoop thought you were pretty leniant on Fraser, he was deplorable all day, did ONE good thing in the middle of the ground at the start of the fourth, should be in danger of losing his spot IMO.

Also Davis was bad, when you're having a day like he was having, you have to do the team things, and he just kept going for the miraculous stuff, but I can sort of understand that because if just one of those went through he would have lit the game up.

My thoughts:
Reid went to ground a bit. But did look very good at times. Very much worth persevering with and would have learned a lot from both today and next week when he gets in the group therapy sessions with other backs reviewing the match!

Toovey was good again. If he keeps believing in himself, backing himself and beating his opponent you can't ask for more. I think he also went onto Betts in Q4 and shut him down when Harry just didn't look himself.

Harry was average but could have stuck those two marks in Q1 and it would have been a different day. Will be better in future and like all great players still found a way to contribute.

I loved in the Q3 when the heat was on, we brought on our A team in the centre bounces and they just dominated a very very good Carlton midfield. The A team being Ball, Pendlebury, Swan and Jolly. And I think for one Thomas was in for Swan and got the clearance leading to another goal.

As regards BOG, Judd by the length of the straight. Pity is that the 2nd-10th best would all be Pie players.

Worst, well McLean > Fraser but not by much. Time for Fraser to join O'Bree and Lockyer and do some community service in the lower ranks.

Agree with most posts here: Dawes is a fantastic find and dare I say, the missing piece of the puzzle. (not that he was hiding in a cupboard :rolleyes:)
Very impressed that Sidey and Beamer continue to improve and show no signs of 2nd year blues (no pun intended)
Pendles and Swan you can rely on every wk
Not sure why Davis is not firing; its hard to analyse a players game purely from tv.
Fraser; the usual
I wonder what people think of Juddy being given BOG on ABC Grandstand? Do they just look at the 37 posessions, or does it have more to do with the fact that we had no stand outs today?

Who was giving the votes... John Elliott??

I'll have to watch the tape, I never noticed Setenta genuinely outbody him and take a mark though. The majority of his goals stemmed from quick ball on the rebound and he got hit lace out, plus one from a silly 50 metre. Pretty sure he wasn't even on O'hAilpin for one or two of them

What's with the group of people who are so determined to can this kid after 2-3 AFL games, in a position that was virtually foreign to him a year ago. Even Tarrant looked questionable as a defender for 6 months at the top level when he moved to the back line and that was as a seasoned veteran of the game.

I've certainly seen more than enough to believe he is worth persisting with, his kicking alone is enough to show me that.
Well lets play someone in a foreign position just to get experience into him and lose another prelim final, his disposal is ok but just watch the tape to see just how far he is off the mark. I hope for his and the clubs sake I'm eating my words one day.

+1. Big tick!

Amazingly channel seven mostly talked about how good individual carlton players were in spite of getting a hiding.

That said it was interesting to see that we got smashed in the clearances in the third quarter, Santana was kicking goals, not because of Reid's poor performance but because he was getting great delivery from the likes of Judd. Then late in the third we were able to clear it out, usually with a long passout to Thomas on the wing often as the result of swan, ball, wellers but I was also pretty inpressed with Johnsons ability to push through the pack. I guess it's a different perspective but I didn't think Pendles was as dominating as people are claiming, sure he was bloody good but he wasn't rolling in the dirt fighting for the ball.

What changed to allow them to dominate, was it Judd coming back on? How did we manage to get it back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Review vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back