Lapp_46

Senior List
May 30, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Storm
Was just having a look at Gary Lyon's team of 22 players that would never let you down in The Age. The only player that made the list from Carlton is Judd. I think Premiership teams generally have 3-5 of these type players. If you look Geelong and Hawthorn are both well represented from memory.

Robinson looks to be the type of player that never lets you down, but i think we need some more grunt in this area if we are to have a tilt at the big one in the next few years...

Agreed?

Dunno about anyone else but Scotland is the first player that came to mind.
Always reliable and whenever the ball is in his hands I feel completely at ease.

Gibbs will be there in a couple of years aswell. Still has the occassional brain fade.

Never let you down in terms of what? Effort? Being hard at it? A clutch disposal under pressure?

Everyone makes mistakes under pressure, misses a vital goal etc so we can rule that one out.

As far as given your best effort on every occasion, there are heaps of players. Hell, Jordan Russell gives his best effort even it is not always good enough.

Players that we can rely on in general in terms of taking the game on, going when they need to go are:

Judd
Scotland
Murphy
Kreuzer
O'hAilpin
Wiggins

Players you feel safe when the ball is in their hands"

Judd
Scotland
Murphy
Gibbs
Kreuzer
Stevens

A hole range of criteria here.

The fact that only Judd made Lyon's 22 doesn't mean we only have one player who doesn't let us down. It just means there are 16 teams so you can't have all of your players who fit the bill in the 22.

You are talking about consistancy?

Our players would be Judd, Murphy, Simpson, Joseph, Kreuzer, Scotland.

Emerging on this list would be Bower, Jamison, Betts, Armfield.

Simpson consistent??? He goes missing nearly everytime we are down, or it gets tough.

Rd 3 - Essendon, get beaten - Simpson 12 touches
Rd 6 - Hawthorn, get beaten - Simpson 18 touches
Rd 9 - Adelaide, worst first half in a long time - Simpson less than 5 touches to half time from an experienced player!
Rd 11 - Tight, tough encounter - Simpson 12 touches!

3 shockers, and one below par game out of 11 - from an experienced player is far from consistent

Hoops, no way. Waite, neither.

Juddy is one. Kruezer hasn't played a bad game this year so he's #2. I'd say Scotland as well he's been good since we got him. That's it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the article was focusing more on effort, attack on the ball, commitment and dedication than pure ability. For example Max Rooke who made the team doesnt ooze ability, but you always know when he plays you get 100% every time, every contest.

I think we could do with one more (or 2) really really hard at it type player at Carlton.

Common mistake.

We're the team that never lets you down.

:thumbsu::)

Simpson consistent??? He goes missing nearly everytime we are down, or it gets tough.

Rd 9 - Adelaide, worst first half in a long time - Simpson less than 5 touches to half time from an experienced player!

3 shockers, and one below par game out of 11 - from an experienced player is far from consistent

I think we know who is NOT your fav cfc05 LOL - talk about selective stats. :thumbsdown:

Bloke that will not let you down is not the bloke that bails you out of a jail cell but the bloke sitting beside you in that very cell. Scotland at the moment, Hickmott most recently

Andrew Walker. :mad:
Yeah, wasn't supposed to a conclusive list, just putting up names to show the different categories of 'never letting you down'.

On the other hand, Walks has been just about my favourite player for a couple of years now but we are so used to being without him, he truly will be a new recruit.

I am thinking you will be leaving tonight's game out of your stats too :D

I am thinking you will be leaving tonight's game out of your stats too :D

Great call. Simmo was fantastic tonight. He might have a down game every now and then, but you wont see him shirking a contest. Same goes with Joseph and Brown... both tough nuts

Remove this Banner Ad

Players that would NEVER let you down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back