Players that you've always considered "overrated"

Remove this Banner Ad

Current?
Monta Ellis, Ben Gordon, Deron Williams.

Past?
Without a doubt, Tracey McGrady.

There is one simple stat that sums this guy up:

His team has never made it past the first round of the Playoffs.
And the one time that they did, he was on the injury reserve list and wasn't playing.

Current?

Past?

And the one time that they did, he was on the injury reserve list and wasn't playing.

fantastic nomination.

in his defence he was injured a lot. and in his prime he didnt play with hill.

but rated highly as a penny hardaway version 2.01.

He was 35+ when at Portland. Would it make a difference to your opinion of him if the blazers hadnt been cheated by the league in the game against LA in the conference finals?

This is true, Blazers got jobbed- Bavetta strikes again.

Agree with Monta, guys a perenial sub 500 player.

Maybe Tyreke's just been Sac-to'd..... I remember commentators laying into OKC for selecting Harden over Reke at one point........

hmmm
agree with reke, think he has enormous potential, sits a lot of 4th quarters as sac town get blown out a lot, put him on a playoff team i think he would improve a lot. Would be great for my keeper fantasy team too.

Josh Smith, every game i've watched him play he has bricked it up, often chucking up very questionable 3's, I also think his dunks are pretty mehh... good defender but.
Smith's offensive game borders on terrible at times, but brilliant at others. He can be cringe worthy from outside, but in Tuesday's game against the Mavs he hit two clutch threes and was the major factor in the Hawks nailing a close road win

i cant believe Pippen is being brought up as over rated. Jordan didnt win shit until Pippen was there, the dude is one of the best defenders i have ever seen. To say he isnt in the top 50 players of all time is laughable.

Now for my over rated....
Shawn Kemp. I loved him for his aerial display but apart from that he had nothing.

It hurts to say but Alan Houston. We loved him as Knicks fans but he was never a max player.

Charles Barkley. Always did dumb things to make his side lose

Lastly im gonna get hammered for this but im gonna go with...... Shaq.
He was surrounded by star PG/SG's like Hardaway pre-injury, Kobe, Wade and had Nash in Phoenix even though he was junk there. Lets be honest.. Kobe brought him 3 rings in LA and Wade delivered him 1 in Miami. Shaq was a beast in the key but couldnt hit FT's and couldnt shoot shit. Any All-Star calibre center would have the same amount of rings as Shaq if he was in those Laker and Miami teams.

Hit the showers buddy. The idea that Kobe carried Shaq to 3 rings is hilarious.
Ok carried is too much but im just saying Shaq aint winning anything without Kobe ballin. I didnt agree with Shaq getting the Finals MVP's either just like i dont agree Kobe should have got his over Pau

i cant believe Pippen is being brought up as over rated. Jordan didnt win shit until Pippen was there, the dude is one of the best defenders i have ever seen. To say he isnt in the top 50 players of all time is laughable.

Now for my over rated....
Shawn Kemp. I loved him for his aerial display but apart from that he had nothing.

It hurts to say but Alan Houston. We loved him as Knicks fans but he was never a max player.

Charles Barkley. Always did dumb things to make his side lose

He was surrounded by star PG/SG's like Hardaway pre-injury, Kobe, Wade and had Nash in Phoenix even though he was junk there. Lets be honest.. Kobe brought him 3 rings in LA and Wade delivered him 1 in Miami. Shaq was a beast in the key but couldnt hit FT's and couldnt shoot shit. Any All-Star calibre center would have the same amount of rings as Shaq if he was in those Laker and Miami teams.

Agree with every point you make except for shaq, not only did he help kobe get a ring, he helped d wade get one too, apart from wilt and bill russell, one of the most prolific scoring genuine big men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melo.

Doesn't ever get out of the first round of the playoffs for a reason.

He has never had enough surrounding pieces to support him, this years team is the best support cast he has ever had and i fully suspect they will get out of the first round this year.

Back away from the crack pipe champ!

I absolutely hated Shaq because of the King-Lakers rivarly BUT he was the most dominant big man and the foundation of the Laker teams. He dominated from his rookie season at the time when the league was stacked with quality Cs and when I say quality, I mean Hall of Fame type quality. Sheesh! Probably worse call than the one where Pippen is apparently overrated.

Current?

Past?

McGrady was elite in Orlando. Seasons of 25, 7 and 5 then 32, 6 and 5. He didn't win a lot, but he was a special player for a short period of time.
Btw- hard to believe the McGrady in Orlando era was just four seasons. Felt a lot longer

He has never had enough surrounding pieces to support him, this years team is the best support cast he has ever had and i fully suspect they will get out of the first round this year.
Please. Carmelo had more than enough to get at least one playoff win. Heck, even BigFooty's favourite, Kevin Garnett got out of the first round with a far worse team.

Please. Carmelo had more than enough to get at least one playoff win. Heck, even BigFooty's favourite, Kevin Garnett got out of the first round with a far worse team.

The Nuggets & Melo did get to the WCF in 2009.

The Wall Street Journal noted after New York's first loss in the series that it was Anthony's 50th career playoff game, and that he had the worst win-loss percentage of anyone to make that many postseason appearances in the last 20 years.
Since then, Anthony has been in two more playoff defeats, leaving him with a 16-36 (.308) career record.

Here's the list:
1. Carmelo Anthony, 16-36, .308
2. Mookie Blaylock, 18-36, .333
3. Eduardo Najera, 20-39, .339
4. Chris Dudley, 20-34, .370
5. Brad Miller, 19-31, .380
6. Anthony Peeler, 22-35, .386
7. Marcus Camby, 30-46, .395
8. Stacey Augmon, 31-46, .403
9. Shane Battier, 22-32, .407
10. Tyron Corbin, 28-40, .412

Pretty hard to argue with the facts. You'd expect better from someone labelled a star or superstar and a top 5 player in the NBA even if hasn't been on great teams or not. Dwight Howard who everyone labels a loser with no motivation or drive carried his team to finals and has got out of the first round 3 times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players that you've always considered "overrated"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back