Players who have gone on one year too long

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wrong about Eddie. He is going ok and deserves another year after the Adelaide camp debacle.

But Poppy..oh dear. He's cooked...
He was great against Geelong and loved seeing him roll the years back but they've only got about a quarter a game out of him for the rest. Hope he can have one more big game in front of a home crowd but seems unlikely. Maybe one more from the pocket at Adelaide Oval.

Good thing Burgoyne kicked 3 goals in the first week. 9 touches and a goal is borderline passable.

I shot down someone for mentioning Burgoyne earlier in the thread but he was honestly a liability tonight. Kicked a goal from a generous free but several times Hawthorn had momentum until it got to Burgers and went straight back the other way.

Been brilliant for a long time so has credits in the bank but has been very much out of form since the resumption.

That sounds just like every North player

25 vs 22 last night and you still couldn't win :p

I see Burgoyne's name being mentioned quite often in this thread. I suppose a 38 year old player is an easy target for simpletons in a thread such as this. Except Burgoyne is still comfortably in Hawthorn's best 22, so it's mainly wishful thinking. He's a champion of the game who still beats opponents 10 years younger than him in the one-on-ones.
He is not a champion of the game ffs. He never even reached his potential as a mid. In the end just a good player. That is all. The only time he was a top twenty player in the afl was for one or two seasons at Port.

He was great against Geelong and loved seeing him roll the years back but they've only got about a quarter a game out of him for the rest. Hope he can have one more big game in front of a home crowd but seems unlikely. Maybe one more from the pocket at Adelaide Oval.
That's over-rating his contribution against us I think - he was reasonable but did get pretty limited supply, to be fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurr hurr hurr, but I should also add that a) the Geelong board has lost a fair bit patience with Rohan, and b) Rohan plays deep, deep forward in a side that doesn't exactly give their forwards a great chance

Yet somehow the Cats are the highest scoring team in the league, with the #1 goal assist and score involvement player (Tom Hawkins) leading the charge.

From the Blues, I'd currently have Simpson, Betts, Murphy, Kreuzer and Ed Curnow on notice for varying reasons.

Betts only played in round 2 thus far so he deserves a fair chance.

Kreuzer can't stay on the park. Simmo is slowly diminishing. Murph just has no appetite for the rough and tumble of the game. Ed Curnow is limited in ability and his game is based on gut running. Once he slows down, he will drop off very quickly.
Think Betts at least deserves to the end of the year especially based on his performance against the Bulldogs.
I know some will not like it but even though Simpson still does good things , I think he should've retired a year ago (at least).
At this stage he's just taking the place of an up and coming young player whom we need to blood for the experience.

Think Betts at least deserves to the end of the year especially based on his performance against the Bulldogs.
I know some will not like it but even though Simpson still does good things , I think he should've retired a year ago (at least).
At this stage he's just taking the place of an up and coming young player whom we need to blood for the experience.

My post was a month old. Betts has been good since then. Simpson has lifted yet again. Curnow too has more than held his own. Murph and Kreuzer still have issues.

You can only make the call based on form at the time. The players have the time to make you change your mind.

My post was a month old. Betts has been good since then. Simpson has lifted yet again. Curnow too has more than held his own. Murph and Kreuzer still have issues.

You can only make the call based on form at the time. The players have the time to make you change your mind.
True.
Also helps when they're winning😄

Betts invisible yesterday in good conditions for a small
Betts has been great for Carlton. Cost them nothing.

The players and fans love him.

He’s performing and it’s a great feel good story. If they hadn’t taken full control of the list of SOS we wouldn’t be seeing him in navy blue this year.

Butler would have been the better decision long term, but Eddies been good, and fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back