Players who have gone on one year too long

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pendlebury only had to reef over and squeeze out a fart and his worshippers on the All Australian selection committee would pick him in the side.
We all know that there are players who are umpires favourites/Brownlow vote favourites/All Australian selection favourites and those that can do no wrong in the eyes of certain commentators. Dangerfield, Martin (great fend off to the head) and Pendlebury are just a few of those.

The fact that they fart rainbows in the eyes of some does not make them dud players. They just get a free pass from some when it isn't deserved.

Sure, in round 1, Pendles didn't set the world on fire. It's round 1. It's not sustained crapoliness. But he gets a bit of time from me.
If you called it as a player who has gone on a year too long based on one shitty performance, then you have a pretty long list.

If come round 10 and this is his new standard then I'll join the gone on too long club.

But let's be honest. As as been mentioned, he's at that stage where others should be stepping up to the leader role and he should just be a solid contributor who hurts the opposition if not sweated on.

Not on the list. Not yet. Not by a long shot.

We all know that there are players who are umpires favourites/Brownlow vote favourites/All Australian selection favourites and those that can do no wrong in the eyes of certain commentators. Dangerfield, Martin (great fend off to the head) and Pendlebury are just a few of those.

The fact that they fart rainbows in the eyes of some does not make them dud players. They just get a free pass from some when it isn't deserved.

Sure, in round 1, Pendles didn't set the world on fire. It's round 1. It's not sustained crapoliness. But he gets a bit of time from me.
If you called it as a player who has gone on a year too long based on one shitty performance, then you have a pretty long list.

If come round 10 and this is his new standard then I'll join the gone on too long club.

But let's be honest. As as been mentioned, he's at that stage where others should be stepping up to the leader role and he should just be a solid contributor who hurts the opposition if not sweated on.

Not on the list. Not yet. Not by a long shot.
Good post

Look, I’ve always been a huge fan of Pendles and I’m not one of these knob ends who bags out champions of the game when they’re in their final seasons. As far as I’m concerned, they’ve earned the right to go out on their own terms without everyone telling them when they should retire. It’s between Pendles and Bucks.

Obviously he is still a good a player who knows his way around a football field

My earlier post was directed at the person who used Pendlebury’s All-Aus selection as some type of proof that he was still grade A, elite, top tier... He was lucky to be named AA in 2019 (and one or two other years). He actually struggled at times that season and had a few Pies fans getting on his back.

As we both know, some players are kissed on the dick when it comes to awards and media plaudits. People like Luke Darcy like their style - “love the way he goes about it” - and so they end up with 4,5,6,7 All Australian guernseys when more-deserving, less-hyped players miss out.

Murphy, Casboult & Curnow - the fact no Carlton youngsters can push them out shows how bad SOS was as a list manager.

Was he though? Was he really THAT bad?

In terms of trades, the standard of talent he brought in wasn't overly great. But he had the balls to ensure Carlton got the best deal possible every time. More balls than both Wayne Hughes and Shane Rogers ever had, who were invested in selling the farm for much crapper players.

The drafting too has been satisfactory. Weitering, McKay, Curnow, J.Silvagni, Fisher, Walsh, etc.

If you ask me, I think the bigger issue lies with the development program, which is almost practically non-existent. Carlton has never been much of a place for the breeding of any stars of the game.

At the same times, there are questions surrounding how they are managed. We have young guys out injured for months. Others playing out of position. Bolton threw them to the wolves. Teague barely giving them much of a sniff last year.

All this young talent at their disposal (25 from the national draft in the last 5-6 years), with 7 delisted and the only two to come good and show any signs of becoming stars being Weitering and Walsh (the two taken at pick 1 in a draft). This doesn't sound like bad luck or bad picking. This reeks of mismanagement and having no decent development program.

From a logical perspective, the only one I can think of at my club is Betts. He would be mentioned that many times here already.

All this young talent at their disposal (25 from the national draft in the last 5-6 years), with 7 delisted and the only two to come good and show any signs of becoming stars being Weitering and Walsh (the two taken at pick 1 in a draft). This doesn't sound like bad luck or bad picking. This reeks of mismanagement and having no decent development program.

This reeks of you having a preconceived idea and seeing what you want to see??

2 of 25 picks become stars, the 2 being obvious number 1 picks, and it's down to development and simply not picking at all? Not at least a combination of the 2??

I'm not sure what the circus entry fee is around here but the clowns make for a good read 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This reeks of you having a preconceived idea and seeing what you want to see??

2 of 25 picks become stars, the 2 being obvious number 1 picks, and it's down to development and simply not picking at all? Not at least a combination of the 2??

I'm not sure what the circus entry fee is around here but the clowns make for a good read 👍

Preconceived? Nope! The history is on my side.

I don't know why you are defending the fact that my club has been unable to develop young talent. How exactly do you benefit from this? Bit of a cheap shot.

But go off and call me a "clown".

Saw alert to this thread come up.

New Pendlebury was going to get the nomination.

He does look slow and rattle tonight.

Retired from Basketball over the summer I hear.

Maybe he’s lost that time and space
Had 30 and is averaging the equal most goal assists in the league.
The want to write off champions in oz is embarassing

Luke Breust looks done

Josh Thomas. :)

Not sure why Burgoyne carried on. His team are bottom four and he isn’t contributing. Looks like he wants to just clock up 400.

Jarryn Geary I doubt he will play again

A couple from last year who eventually got the pink slip were Varcoe and Ben Reid.

Think a few Cats are heading in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back