Players who have gone on one year too long

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun Burgoyne
Ben Stratton
Shaun Burgoyne is well and truly cooked
You two (and a bunch of others) must have choked on your cornflakes after today's news.

And technically I think you are right. Not that he is anywhere near the worst player on the Hawks list, it's just that they are not in a Premiership window (or even a finals one), or even close to one. So all he is doing is preventing a young guy developing.

Might have to change the thread title to Players who have gone on one two three four years too long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don't have enough talent full stop.

Burgoyne is 38, there are 8 players between 30 and 33. You don't really win if you axe Burgoyne and keep Puopolo.
Eagles have got a few 30+ players as well, pretty good ones too. Just sayin' :cool:

Eagles have got a few 30+ players as well, pretty good ones too. Just sayin' :cool:

We have 7 of them. But we have 11 wins so that's OK. We've done well draftng players to step in when Kennedy and Hurn retire, remains to be seen if our young mids are good enough. Yeo (27), Gaff (28), Kelly (26), Sheed (25) coincide with Darling (28), McGovern (28) etc. so not panic stations yet. Give it a few years when all those guys are 30+ and we may be seemlessly transitioning to a new senior core or looking like complete shit.

I think Carlton will benefit when the career losers like Murphy and Simpson finish up. Not meaning to hate on those guys who have been good players for a long time but they both had long careers in ordinary sides. People talk about Burgoyne hanging around too long but he's won 2/3 of his near 400 games. Flags with two sides, big performances in finals etc. Murphy has won 40%, Simpson 37%. I mean Burgoyne has played in more wins than the other two who have played a combined 600+. Betts was at least part of a contending Adelaide side and has played 13 finals. Is Cripps (who has won just over 1/4 of his games so far) really going to learn what it takes to win from Murphy and Simpson?

We have 7 of them. But we have 11 wins so that's OK. We've done well draftng players to step in when Kennedy and Hurn retire, remains to be seen if our young mids are good enough. Yeo (27), Gaff (28), Kelly (26), Sheed (25) coincide with Darling (28), McGovern (28) etc. so not panic stations yet. Give it a few years when all those guys are 30+ and we may be seemlessly transitioning to a new senior core or looking like complete sh*t.
I think you guys are solid for a few more years, especially in the mids. Was a little shocked when I saw that Nic Nat is 30, what the?!?!

I personally think people are writing off our list way too early, we still have a lot of talent. The back end of last year & start of this season proved that, we just haven't adapted to the hub life like some other teams. Time will tell I guess but I'm a little more buoyant than most over our prospects for next season.

You two (and a bunch of others) must have choked on your cornflakes after today's news.

And technically I think you are right. Not that he is anywhere near the worst player on the Hawks list, it's just that they are not in a Premiership window (or even a finals one), or even close to one. So all he is doing is preventing a young guy developing.

Might have to change the thread title to Players who have gone on one two three four years too long.

See Luke Hodge and Brisbane.

At best you get a serviceable player and an on-field 'coach'.
At worst you get someone who can impart a lot of wisdom behind the scenes to the young fellas.

Gives a champion of the club a chance to hit the 400 games.

Still need to pay the cap and means we get to hide Burgoyne from the staff soft cap for a year.

See Luke Hodge and Brisbane.

At best you get a serviceable player and an on-field 'coach'.
At worst you get someone who can impart a lot of wisdom behind the scenes to the young fellas.

Gives a champion of the club a chance to hit the 400 games.

Still need to pay the cap and means we get to hide Burgoyne from the staff soft cap for a year.

Genuine question as I haven't watched much of Hawthorn this year, is Burgoyne, even allowing for how average they've been, still best 22? if someone is easily in the best, say, 15-16 players in a side, the age doesn't matter AT ALL as far as I'm concerned. If they're on the fringe though, you have to balance out what you're going to get from him as an onfield coach with what you're missing out on by leaving out a 22-23 year old who would probably contribute the same as a player, with the bonus that he's going to get better.

Genuine question as I haven't watched much of Hawthorn this year, is Burgoyne, even allowing for how average they've been, still best 22? if someone is easily in the best, say, 15-16 players in a side, the age doesn't matter AT ALL as far as I'm concerned. If they're on the fringe though, you have to balance out what you're going to get from him as an onfield coach with what you're missing out on by leaving out a 22-23 year old who would probably contribute the same as a player, with the bonus that he's going to get better.

Heart says he's best 22. Head says he's on the outer.

Depends which Burgoyne shows up though. His played some genuinely good games this season and some very poor ones. In any case, we lack quality depth as is.
I don't think Burgoyne rotating through and taking 10 games off a speculative best 22 player is going to make or break our rebuild. We've got nothing else to put our cap towards so I'm not averse to giving our champion a decent send off (hopefully in front of a crowd).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back