Playing matches in NZ

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be happy to see 2 games a year there instead of one. Goddam though... Wish we'd committed to Tassie back in the day. A good portion of our player group is from there these days! Tassie is footy mad, totally different from nz. I'd swap with Hawks in a heartbeat, but nz is a very decent 2nd prize. Let's make it work!

Our doing, the AFL's, or NZ's?

It's worth us continuing to play there for the financial benefit alone - far better than us hosting another game at Etihad.

Financially nz won't pay us as much and we arnt drawing a big enough Crowd. Still room to negotiate but I don't think it will continue

I'd be happy to see 2 games a year there instead of one. Goddam though... Wish we'd committed to Tassie back in the day. A good portion of our player group is from there these days! Tassie is footy mad, totally different from nz. I'd swap with Hawks in a heartbeat, but nz is a very decent 2nd prize. Let's make it work!

thomas was preety against us being in Tasmania, aprobably becuase we did not win much. thati assume thats why we got out of it. it would have been better to try harder at the time and stuck it out..

This was brought up a while ago.
8 games at etihad = 2 games at MCG = 1 in NZ in terms of profit. NZ is guaranteed cash though by afl/nz.
At least if we play 2 games it doubles our chances of winning,:p. I'd hive it 2 years of 2 games, we'll need to win all 4 and start to see more nz members instead of people flying over. I liked the anzac mstch though

Would like to see one of those Etihad games being played at the future Charlton Sports Precinct, the players & supporters can fly direct to the game with the airport only about 5 min away. I can hear you all saying, "Strewth Grav,why the hell would we wanna play there?" Why ..... well it's only about 40min from my joint :p& I'd like to get to see them without having to travel too far. So there :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is there talk hawthorn will move in on it. i know thats been a concern of ours for NZ and Seaford

if we moved out of NZ Hawthorn would take it over completely just like they did in Tasmania., and we will cry over it in a few years time.

Surely Hawthorn couldn't be playing games in Tasmania and New Zealand?

yeah they could and they probably would. remembering that the AFL TAS stance is that there should only be one club in tasmania and their recommendation is for the hawks to leave

hawthorn were in NZ before us and already have a presence there. their national team is the NZ Hawks, everything is badged hawthorn

i mean we are worried enough about hawthorn moving into seaford when we leave, hence why i think we want to maintain a presence there in some capacity

Except they aren't going to be moving anywhere near Seaford.

you're kidding yourself if you think hawthorn are not interested in the WHOLE of the bayside region, including seaford

hawthorn and st kilda have had history in the frankston area

you're kidding yourself if you think hawthorn are not interested in the WHOLE of the bayside region, including seaford

hawthorn and st kilda have had history in the frankston area

Not training at Seaford doesn't instantly remove any presence of us there. Just like us not training outside of Seaford doesn't instantly make other Bayside areas not part of the Saints home turf.

Not training at Seaford doesn't instantly remove any presence of us there. Just like us not training outside of Seaford doesn't instantly make other Bayside areas not part of the Saints home turf.

of course not and i think they were speaking in broader terms than just training

but right now we have a link with the local council (something we have to be mindful of when working on the moorabin stuff apparently), we also have everyone based out of seaford. there would be community links plus extras with just having the facility there and us in it. i think their concern is we cant just pack up and leave and leave the area alone

i think they would like to maintain a significant pressence there somehow and not give up on the progress made there

anyways i am just repeating the concern

of course not and i think they were speaking in broader terms than just training

but right now we have a link with the local council (something we have to be mindful of when working on the moorabin stuff apparently), we also have everyone based out of seaford. there would be community links plus extras with just having the facility there and us in it. i think their concern is we cant just pack up and leave and leave the area alone

i think they would like to maintain a significant pressence there somehow and not give up on the progress made there

anyways i am just repeating the concern

Doesn't really sound like a concern to me. It's more that we need to keep up community engagement even after we move back to Moorabbin, which I would have thought is pretty obvious.

if we moved out of NZ Hawthorn would take it over completely just like they did in Tasmania., and we will cry over it in a few years time.

So hawthorn want to take over the N.Z games just as the Wellington council have said theyre pulling out of most of the funding?.... to play games in freezing cold slippery conditions in front of 5000 australians and a few hundred curious locals?
Let em have it , and i ll watch my team somewhere in Australia thanks.

So hawthorn want to take over the N.Z games just as the Wellington council have said theyre pulling out of most of the funding?.... to play games in freezing cold slippery conditions in front of 5000 australians and a few hundred curious locals?
Let em have it , and i ll watch my team somewhere in Australia thanks.

wellington councils issue is that the number of visitors is slipping... hawthorn have 70k members and are a much better side right now, they theoritically would pull a much bigger crowd. if it was to happen (not saying it will) that would be the reason

wellington councils issue is that the number of visitors is slipping... hawthorn have 70k members and are a much better side right now, they theoritically would pull a much bigger crowd. if it was to happen (not saying it will) that would be the reason

From what ive heard this seasons game had more visitors than the previous year. Thats what wellington want, is more tourist. The issue is not really publicising it enough for the NZ people to come. Cost is a huge factor. By memory it was $25nzd to attend. People there wont spend that for a sport they barely know. There is a market and it would be silly to walk away from a deal that would help the club financially.
Im happy to play 1 game a year and only get 10,000 people. Hawks play in front of only about 15,000 at launceston. Look at the membership base they have, but they decide to stay because of the $$$$$$$ there paid. Better financially for there club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing matches in NZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back