Playing matches in NZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Developing a secondary market is a must for a small club like us.
North have got Tasmania, and significant AFL assistance there.
Dogs have been granted Ballarat territory.

We need to do something to ensure we are still around in ten, twenty, a hundred years time.
The AFL is currently supportive of the model of Vic teams we have now, but the turnaround from pushing North to the Gold Coast to gifting them

Yep North has Tassie....Tassie does not have North or their own team and fn deserves one instead of being exploited

The Saints could do well out of NZ if they play it smartly and get the same concessions as North and Hawth have here (Tas)

As a Tasmanian I am absolutely filthy how this state has been exploited and treated like crap for decade after decade

Dunno what happened there:

Yep North has Tassie....Tassie does not have North or their own team and fn deserves one instead of being exploited

The Saints could do well out of NZ if they play it smartly and get the same concessions as North and Hawth have here (Tas)

As a Tasmanian I am absolutely filthy how this state has been exploited and treated like crap for decade after decade

Have you seen the size of the ground? It is no where near AFL ready. Its like saying Elsternwick Park in an AFL ground. It seems im pretty much on my own with this and I hope all you guys are right.
I'm not stating that the ground is AFL ready, i'm just stating that there is something there already meaning it won't be a project starting from scratch.

Off the top of my head the redevelopment is said to be costing between 12 and 13 million NZD, a small price that would suggest the majority of the outer will be grass embankments and that work would be able to start and finish in a short time period.

Thanks for the advise but I have a passport and I have been to a game in NZ. And only ever stayed in legion when I went to Bali. What do you mean by that comment anyway? Sounds like a sledge. Cant you handle a serious discussion without getting personal. I suppose I should know that the disgusting way you speak about Geary.

Legian is just a less feral extension of Kuta.

Yes, I agree about the Tasmanian situation.
The amount of backslapping Hawthorn give themselves over the situation is rather nauseating.

Absolutely ...the thing I find damn frustrating is that they deny that they were in financial strife before they came here. Always had a shit load of members and been really strong.

If they actually acknowledged the situation they were in I would respect them. Totally respect what they have done as a club on and off the field but to re invent the past is BS

People do realise the first attempt failed. Yes different city with no ground at the moment which is rather important but still the same rugby loving people. I dont know a lot about NZ but I do know they care far to much about the rugby codes to ever really worry about AFL. Even soccer is struggling and the soccer side were lucky to survive. I think one has already folded.

And St Fly Melbourne weren't going to fold when they raised 3 or 4 million dollars. It can be done if you have the will even if it isn't about the club surviving. And I'm all for a second market but in our country were we at least care about AFL and you don't need a passport to visit.

Soccer also failed here initially, it's also a different beast as the clubs are basically franchises as evidenced by Melbourne Heart who became Melbourne City. Bought out 80% to the City Football Group, an Abu Dhabi group based in England and 20% owned by Melbourne Storm before they also bought out that 20%, here's $21m care to give me a national sports team to own, don't worry I'm good for it!?

No, they weren't but you're missing the point.

The club asked people to reduce their debt as it was, in effect building to unsustainable levels where they would always end up in the negative and end up being a basketcase club. This is different to say Collingwood going to people and saying "we want a second Lexus/Holden Centre, with a golden statue out the front". That is for government and the private sector plus alternative funding methods, as we are doing with Moorabbin, not for primarily crowd sourced financial income.

Soccer also failed here initially, it's also a different beast as the clubs are basically franchises as evidenced by Melbourne Heart who became Melbourne City. Bought out 80% to the City Football Group, an Abu Dhabi group based in England and 20% owned by Melbourne Storm before they also bought out that 20%, here's $21m care to give me a national sports team to own, don't worry I'm good for it!?

No, they weren't but you're missing the point.

The club asked people to reduce their debt as it was, in effect building to unsustainable levels where they would always end up in the negative and end up being a basketcase club. This is different to say Collingwood going to people and saying "we want a second Lexus/Holden Centre, with a golden statue out the front". That is for government and the private sector plus alternative funding methods, as we are doing with Moorabbin, not for primarily crowd sourced financial income.

Well 10 million in debt seems pretty close to unsustainable. What ever reason Melbourne went to supporters for money was supported. Surely we have enough reasons to go to supporters for money. 10 million of them.

Last edited:
Interesting development with the AFL organising New Zealand's own official Premiership season next year. Note that there are only four teams in the comp, and notice the colours - especially the only traditional AFL team out of the four:

timthumb.php

http://aflnz.co.nz/blog/2016/09/07/afl-new-zealand-premiership-readies-for-2017/

Fairly sure this ran this year as well. Not sure of how it went though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we will take the entire NZ zone for our academy to stop them playing rugby pls :p
NZ will just take the entire Pacific Islands as their rugby academy and still find a way to win!

The fact that the rugby league and soccer loving Greater Western Sydney got an AFL team before the Footy mad Tassie got one says it all Verdun.
Treated badly by the AFL.

The fact that the rugby league and soccer loving Greater Western Sydney got an AFL team before the Footy mad Tassie got one says it all Verdun.
Treated badly by the AFL.

I heard Finey whinging about the greater western sydney fiasco and he reckons it was Mike Fitzpatrick doing another of his knee jerk **** ups. He's got to be the most powerful and incompetent person in any Australian sport. He pretty much panicked that the AFL was being left behind and with no cost benefit or planning went head on into GWS giving the creators the scope to make it so they can't fail. Any amount of money and concessions are available to them. Luckily they keep telling the poorer clubs that they are all about equality in fixturing and finances. They are a joke organisation. It makes it worse when certain clubs get all the best filtering and ground contracts and then get talked up as great managers. It would be easy for the Dogs and Saints to be financially competent if they had equal access.

there is no will for true equality in the AFL. Apparently the top viewing game in the home and away season this year was St Kilda and Geelong (Ahhhh). We had so few televised games, especially live on FTA on Friday or Saturday night. We have a crap stadium deal. We have no academy possibility. The AFL support is just what we deserve, no more. Yet we play one the best games going round . People will always be happy to watch the Saints despite the best efforts of the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing matches in NZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back